Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

That cannot be the standard tariffs.

New energy price guarantee rates from 1 October 2022Current price cap
(until 30 September 2022)
GasUnit rate: 10.33p per kWh

Standing charge: 28.49p per day
Unit rate: 7.37p per kWh

Standing charge: 27.22p per day
ElectricityUnit rate: 34.04p per kWh

Standing charge: 46.36p per day
Unit rate: 28.34p per kWh

Standing charge: 45.34p per day

I thought it could'nt be right as I'd previously worked out it would be around £2400 (which is going off the figures you have provided also).

So why on earth are Eon sending me these rates out??? I'll have to give them a call like as no chance i'll be able to afford that

I thought it could'nt be right as I'd previously worked out it would be around £2400 (which is going off the figures you have provided also).

So why on earth are Eon sending me these rates out??? I'll have to give them a call like as no chance i'll be able to afford that
I've had a look at British Gas standard tariff and it's slightly higher than the cap if you don't pay direct debit, I think I need to give them a ring. :lol:

Standard Variable​

About your gas tariff​

Tariff type 1Variable
Payment methodQuarterly cash or cheque
Standard unit rate10.978p per kWh
Standing charge 233.536p per day *
Tariff ends onNot Applicable
Exit fees (if you change supplier before the end date)Not applicable
Additional products or services includedNot applicable
Estimated average annual consumption12000 kWh
Estimated annual cost£1439.72 3

Standard Variable​

About your electricity tariff​

Tariff type 1Variable
Standard unit rate34.907p per kWh
Standing charge 256.168p per day *
Estimated average annual consumption2900 kWh
Estimated annual cost£1217.28 3

I've had a look at British Gas standard tariff and it's slightly higher than the cap if you don't pay direct debit, I think I need to give them a ring. :lol:

Standard Variable​

About your gas tariff​

Tariff type 1Variable

Standard Variable​

Tariff type 1Variable

That is high like! Give them a ring asap, hopefully they are open on Saturdays.

Even the EOn website is showing the rates at 50pkw for electricity and 14.6 pkw for Gas when I put my postcode in here: E.ON Next Surely they've just not updated their information yet?? Can't even ring them on a Saturday either.

Right I've just had an email through from Eon as my fixed deal ends in 2 days time, the email has a link to Eons new flexible rates. I'm absolutely shitting it here as I'm positive they're loads higher than what Martin Lewis has predicted they will be???

The new rates are as follows:

Electricity 50.09 p/kwh 19.61 per day standing charge.
Gas 14.63 p/kwh and 28.48 per day standing charge.

My electricity annual usage is 2100kwh and gas is 14800kwh

Working out the annual cost this comes to just shy of £3500 before the £400 government "grant" is taken off... Surely this can't be right?? I'm a single lad living in a 2 bed flat and am very conscious of turning things off if I am not using them..
To add to the above, on my last months statement my annual usage for gas was 12500 yet this month its 14800... I haven't even used the heating yet so can't see how this has f***ing rocketed up?? Is this Eon taking their chances before whacking my DD up to justify it or what?
If they're like Octopus then the rates just haven't updated. The email will be an automatic one I'd imagine. This is what shows in my Octopus account...

Important: Prices on your dashboard don't display the Energy Price Guarantee discount yet. We'll update this really soon.

That is high like! Give them a ring asap, hopefully they are open on Saturdays.

Even the EOn website is showing the rates at 50pkw for electricity and 14.6 pkw for Gas when I put my postcode in here: E.ON Next Surely they've just not updated their information yet?? Can't even ring them on a Saturday either.
Works out about £200 a year more, better in my pocket than theirs but I'm quite happy not having to have them fannying on with direct debit payments.
They probably have far more than that in their bank accounts off most of their customers over paying by DD every year.
I'll just stop eating Haribos. :lol:

If they're like Octopus then the rates just haven't updated. The email will be an automatic one I'd imagine. This is what shows in my Octopus account...

Important: Prices on your dashboard don't display the Energy Price Guarantee discount yet. We'll update this really soon.
Fingers crossed mate.. The figures are just way too much for me like and I'm reasonably well off. Really do feel for those who are worse off going into this winter.
Works out about £200 a year more, better in my pocket than theirs but I'm quite happy not having to have them fannying on with direct debit payments.
They probably have far more than that in their bank accounts off most of their customers over paying by DD every year.
I'll just stop eating Haribos. :lol:
Nah mate, Haribos over the heating any day :lol:

Electric from 18.42 per unit plus 18.67 standing charge up to 50.09p and 49.93p/day

Gas from 3.57p and 18.36 per day to 14.63p and 28.48p/day.

Painful

It's just been on the radio there reiterating that it's the unit rates that are being capped but they are still twice as much as this time last year. Going by that we should be looking at £240 per month if we use the same amount as last year, up from £120 per month last year. We have been paying £180 since April so £545 in credit, now they are saying from today it's £118 per month which is presumably the help we are getting. Never gave our usage and bills a thought until recently 🤣.

Last edited:

Standard Variable​

About your gas tariff​

Tariff type 1Variable

Standard Variable​

Tariff type 1Variable
It's daft that they are allowed to charge different prices depending how you pay.

This will be applied over six months, with a reduction of £66 in October and November, and £67 every month between December and March 2023.
The discount will be made automatically by energy suppliers in England, Scotland and Wales. There is no need to apply.

Put the heating on for the first time for a couple of hours 6-8 as the house was bitter (even down south)... the shift in working from home will soon change.. health & safety may tell you to go home as its too cold .. oh wait youre already there...
Get the old candle/plant pot heaters going... cue the rise in house fires with people trying to keep warm with any means possible without resorting to turning on the gas

Back