Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

I got a three year fixed deal with EDF in September just before the shit hit the fan. I don't agree with the French government owning our energy supplies in principle, but I I was satisfied with the deal. When the prices rocketed I was quite happy that EDF might be paying more for the energy than they are supplying it to me, thinking that there's no way they could go bust. Now I'm wondering if companies like that could just pull out of the market and leave our government to pick up the pieces, in the knowledge any legal action will be cheaper than supplying the energy?

SSE pulled out of the supply business two years ago (sold it to OVO) cos they said the price cap made it pretty much unworkable for them. I think the top honcho at OVO intimated the other day that summat needs to give.

The only reason the bigger companies are still trading is cos they're well hedged. They bought their energy on the wholesale markets early last year, but even the current prices are gonna catch up with them eventually.

Im constantly having a go at the youngest... Im sure kids are frightened of the dark or even low light... the fact a number of people are now working from home will surely see families face larger bills when we are having to heat our homes during the day.
Im happy to sit with a couple more layers on, and maybes a throw whilst on the sofa. We have no double glazing either which doesnt help. Have to say its freezing whilst working from home at the minute...
Wait until they ban boilers and condemn your house, until you have a heat pump fitted.
Im all for new technology to heat/power our homes but how is this practical for everyone? Especially high rise flats

Last edited:
Im constantly having a go at the youngest... Im sure kids are frightened of the dark or even low light... the fact a number of people are now working from home will surely see families face larger bills when we are having to heat our homes during the day.
Im happy to sit with a couple more layers on, and maybes a throw whilst on the sofa. We have no double glazing either which doesnt help. Have to say its freezing whilst working from home at the minute...

Im all for new technology to heat/power our homes but how is this practical for everyone? Especially high rise flats
They need to go back to the good old communist model of community heating. The economies of scale of heating a whole block of flats from a central source have got to be massive, but we go down the petty “I’m not paying for someone else to heat their home” spite path instead.

They need to go back to the good old communist model of community heating. The economies of scale of heating a whole block of flats from a central source have got to be massive, but we go down the petty “I’m not paying for someone else to heat their home” spite path instead.

I can remember when me uncle and auntie used to heat their 1st floor flat up using the street light outside one of their bedroom windows. Got away with it for a canny while before they were caught.

Sounded a bit bizarre hearing them getting charged with stealing electricity. Nowt actually physical to steal as such.

I can remember when me uncle and auntie used to heat their 1st floor flat up using the street light outside one of their bedroom windows. Got away with it for a canny while before they were caught.

Sounded a bit bizarre hearing them getting charged with stealing electricity. Nowt actually physical to steal as such.
Could say that some have been stealing air for years... hopefully it doesn't come down to having to burn the furniture to keep warm for some... its a possible reality

Got a letter today from British Gas, my current deal is around £1540 a year, if I leave it to go on to standard variable rate it will rise to £2241, but they’re offering me a deal on a like for like basis, fixed until Jul 2023 for £3687!!!

Over doubling the unit rates and about 20% on standing charges!

Been onto comparison sites, which come back saying due to rising energy prices there are fewer deals available at the moment.

How the f***ing hell are already struggling families going to afford this hike in prices! I’ve had my head buried for a while, but how has this been allowed to happen?
Absolute madness, so it is more advantageous to be on the standard (variable) than to go on a tariff at the moment? Unbelievable

My fix with Ovo is up on 10th May, last bill they were holding on to £450 credit that the wife wanted to leave, just incase.

Not looking forward to what’s in that email when it arrives.

I am delighted I got out of that line of work last year however, hold industry is o on its knees.

This is my current rates , no idea how it compares to others

Unit rates
Electricity: 19.64p per kWh

Gas: 3.73p per kWh

Standing charges
Electricity: 26.45p per day

Gas: 23.85p per day

Current annual amount: £1,520.41

But they can do me a fixed deal for £2,921.99

Total piss take bearing in mind my first year with Octopus was £996
Octopus is this for me...

Unit rates​

Electricity: 12.93p per kWh
Gas: 3.73p per kWh

Standing charges​

Electricity: 25.00p per day
Gas: 23.85p per day
Not alot you can do about it other than turning the heating off or downgrading the 96 inch telly.
just invested in Comfort zones for everyone - reckons it can save 31%

Last edited:
Really - so has said he's wrong??
No. He's saying a handful of people will be better off switching but even with the massive rise predicted in April, most people will still be better off on the standard tariffs:

Got a letter today from British Gas, my current deal is around £1540 a year, if I leave it to go on to standard variable rate it will rise to £2241, but they’re offering me a deal on a like for like basis, fixed until Jul 2023 for £3687!!!

Over doubling the unit rates and about 20% on standing charges!

Been onto comparison sites, which come back saying due to rising energy prices there are fewer deals available at the moment.

How the f***ing hell are already struggling families going to afford this hike in prices! I’ve had my head buried for a while, but how has this been allowed to happen?

Just don’t pay your direct debit. If everyone did this the entire industry would collapse in a matter of weeks and nationalisation would be necessary. Having worked in a debt/collections department of a large supplier they only account for a tiny portion of the customer base not paying direct debits as part of their debt book.

Just don’t pay your direct debit. If everyone did this the entire industry would collapse in a matter of weeks and nationalisation would be necessary. Having worked in a debt/collections department of a large supplier they only account for a tiny portion of the customer base not paying direct debits as part of their debt book.

Would that not gan against your credit rating?

Fixed ran out in October. Just on standard variable now.

Had built up a decent little pot but I guess that has just about gone now.

It is an absolute disgrace what is going on yet the media have yet to really go for it and until they do, the Govt will not do a thing. Basically hoping it evens itself out in the ‘warmer’ months before next Winter. The fact people are getting walloped now not withstanding the impending leap in price is absolutely disgraceful.

Never heard it called that before. I really like that.

Back