Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

It's not straight forward.
If you're heating something substantial, like a full tin of soup or beans, a gas hob is cheapest, then electric hob, then microwave.

Gas is cheapest because, although it's only 50% efficient, gas is 25% of the cost of electricity, so you may use twice the energy, but it's still half the cost.
Electric hob is much more efficient, but you do need to heat the pan and hob, as well as the soup.
Microwave is less efficient because an 800W microwave oven is giving out 800W of microwave energy, but the oven will consume around 1200W of power to generate that 800W of microwaves.

For small items, like the 150ml of water in a small cup of tea, the microwave becomes cheaper than the hob because only the water gets heated in the microvave, there's no need to heat the pan as well, and, for small quantities, heating the pan becomes more significant than heating the contents.

The margins are quite small.
To boil 1 litre of water consumes about 0.1 units of electricity. At 27p/unit that's 2.7p per litre, or about 1p for your 400g tin of beans.
So, even at today's prices, you could heat your tin of beans for a penny on an electric hob, or a bit over a penny in the microwave.
It's better to concentrate on savings elsewhere.
you forgot induction hob, which is the cheapest of them all iirc.

That’s the way to go these days. I dint know why more people don’t.
Unfortunately I’m tied into DD to get my cheap tariff.

Because you end up with massive winter bills rather spreading the costs. Plus you won't get the fiver cashback (tenner next 2 months) from santander

It always did, but as nearly everybody is on the price cap now I'm not sure how they can.
Aye, that makes sense I suppose. May cancel mine and let them do the legwork.
And so it begins…

The wife is sitting on the settee with a blanket on saying it’s cold. I’m in the same room with a tee shirt and shorts on perfect temp.

If she thinks the heatings going on she’s in for a shock.🥵🥶

Last edited:
Aye, that makes sense I suppose. May cancel mine and let them do the legwork.
And so it begins…

The wife is sitting on the settee with a blanket on saying it’s cold. I’m in the same room with a tee shirt and shorts on perfect temp.

If she thinks the heatings going on she’s in for a shock.🥵🥶
In Majorca at the moment so it's not a problem at the moment. However in April I've went in the house and the daughter is sitting there with vest and shorts on with to the heating on. Drives me nuts.

Coould the charge for water rise along with our other essential supplies.

At the moment the cost is fixed and paid monthly but for those with water meters could the charge go up?

Coould the charge for water rise along with our other essential supplies.

At the moment the cost is fixed and paid monthly but for those with water meters could the charge go up?
Well got to keep profits up for shareholders. No word yet though.

Been quoted 5700 for a 12 panel PV system that according to the documents will mean they will cover 36% of my electricity costs for the year, surprised how much would go back to the grid, but a battery would up the price by 3k.

Seriously tempted to take them upon this

Been quoted 5700 for a 12 panel PV system that according to the documents will mean they will cover 36% of my electricity costs for the year, surprised how much would go back to the grid, but a battery would up the price by 3k.

Seriously tempted to take them upon this
I would get a battery, what is capacity of solar pv? You get next to nothing exporting to grid and will be months before you get paid anything. We now heat water by solar, past 3 months my gas is basically standing charge only and electricity from grid about 0.5 kWh a day.

I would get a battery, what is capacity of solar pv? You get next to nothing exporting to grid and will be months before you get paid anything. We now heat water by solar, past 3 months my gas is basically standing charge only and electricity from grid about 0.5 kWh a day.
The PV is a 4.2kwh system, according to the paperwork it will generate between 3.2 and 4.2kwh depending on weather etc

The PV is a 4.2kwh system, according to the paperwork it will generate between 3.2 and 4.2kwh depending on weather etc
I have 4.2 kWh solar pv, 3.66 kWh hybrid inverter and 6.5 kWh battery, generated about 16.8 kWh, battery at 100%. Will use about 1.5 kWh overnight (fridge/freezer) from battery plus kettle.

I have 4.2 kWh solar pv, 3.66 kWh hybrid inverter and 6.5 kWh battery, generated about 16.8 kWh, battery at 100%. Will use about 1.5 kWh overnight (fridge/freezer) from battery plus kettle.
The battery seems to be the key to making it really pay and reduce the bills to almost nothing

Certainly is in summer, i expect it to save a fair amount in winter when weather right. Make sure you get bird protection to stop pigeons nesting under panels.
Bird protection was included included in the quote.

I was thinking we would get the panels installed and if it's working out like we think it should get a battery added in after

Back