Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

Finally got to talk to someone at EDF about the mental amount they wanted to put our Direct Debit up to.

Gave them the actual meter readings and pointed out that they had over estimated our electricity usage by 2180kwh, which on their fixed tariff is £646.15, so we are actually £700 in credit.

Took an hour and a threat of another complaint for them to final agree to put the direct debit back down to £250 a month

I now point blank refuse to pay any energy company by direct debit mate.
I put the readings in at the end of each month and they get paid what I owe them, not a penny more.

I’m still waiting for a rebate from Octopus following them taking over a supplier I used to be with (which they emailed me in February to notify me of)

Stuff I’ve started doing is
Turning the tv off if I’m not watching it
Washing dishes by hand ,
No more oven on three different times . we either eat the same or it all goes in together at the same time.
Using the tumble dryer as a last resort and hanging stuff on the line again .
All of the above has been extremely easy to do and I’m sure there are loads more I can do in the winter like turning the temp down a couple of degrees .

Leveling up! Sunlit uplands!

What's the justification for the massive increase in the standing charges? Pipes more expensive to maintain now are they? Have to pay Bob in accounting more to calculate my bill since it's now three figures rather two?

What's the justification for the massive increase in the standing charges? Pipes more expensive to maintain now are they? Have to pay Bob in accounting more to calculate my bill since it's now three figures rather two?
It's to cover the cost of taking on the customers of the suppliers that have went bust.

I now point blank refuse to pay any energy company by direct debit mate.
I put the readings in at the end of each month and they get paid what I owe them, not a penny more.

I’m still waiting for a rebate from Octopus following them taking over a supplier I used to be with (which they emailed me in February to notify me of)
That’s the way to go these days. I dint know why more people don’t.
Unfortunately I’m tied into DD to get my cheap tariff.

Why should I pay for that?

Do I have to pay for the Chinese takeaway in Aberdeen which went belly up as well?
I didn't say it was right, that's just the excuse they use to justify it. I would imagine there would be a bit of an outcry if your supplier went bust and you were in £100s of credit and you were just told it was tough. The theory is that new supplier takes the customer on and gives them the credit. I would imagine that there is a bit of creative licence going on and they are making a fair bit out of it.
Apologies if I'm being an idiot but if the cap doesn't rise and then wholesale prices dont fall surely that just means the SC will increase again, basically no win.
I've no idea tbh. I've just read it on hear posted by people who sounded like they knew what they were talking about.

Last edited:

Back