End of Life Pathway

Just had the call................

So sorry to hear that marra. It's a really hard thing to go through. Take time to remember the good times you shared. It's amazing how many stories come back into your head at times like this. Sending my love xx

This happened to me a few weeks ago. I missed my Mam by an hour. My advice would be to get on a flight right now.
My mum is a hospice in Leeds , I came back up today , been down since last Wednesday , took another day off today , went back to work but a colleague and my gaffer said I should be off , my mum has pulled round today but doctor advised last night her condition has deteriorated, I didn't really spend time with her yesterday 1to 1, think I will head back down tomorrow

Thanks for the replies.

I have just spoken to my mam and she seems to think that she will be liable on her death for any care fees for my dad. She has been paying 200.00 per week for the past couple of years as a top up for the care home. It was in Nookside and when I visited last year, I was very impressed. It was like a country hotel, so no complaints, but it has cost her life’s savings.

Can anyone confirm if she would still be liable for the costs of care out of her estate?

Don’t want to come across as thinking about money at this time, but she is worried and I would like to put her mind at rest.

Thanks for the replies.

I have just spoken to my mam and she seems to think that she will be liable on her death for any care fees for my dad. She has been paying 200.00 per week for the past couple of years as a top up for the care home. It was in Nookside and when I visited last year, I was very impressed. It was like a country hotel, so no complaints, but it has cost her life’s savings.

Can anyone confirm if she would still be liable for the costs of care out of her estate?

Don’t want to come across as thinking about money at this time, but she is worried and I would like to put her mind at rest.
What care fees for your dad? Hospital and hospice/ nursing care is free, residential care is charged but is means tested.

If she hasn't signed an agreement to pay the fees, she shouldn't have any liability beyond what she has already paid in top ups. If you sign up for a care home and put your assets (i.e. house) up as security, in a Deferred Payments Scheme, they eventually send you a bill. Otherwise she won't owe them anything.

If she hasn't signed an agreement to pay the fees, she shouldn't have any liability beyond what she has already paid in top ups. If you sign up for a care home and put your assets (i.e. house) up as security, in a Deferred Payments Scheme, they eventually send you a bill. Otherwise she won't owe them anything.
I need to look at the paperwork to see if the house was put up as security, but she seems convinced that she will have a bill to pay. She has nothing left in savings.

I need to look at the paperwork to see if the house was put up as security, but she seems convinced that she will have a bill to pay. She has nothing left in savings.
I was in your exact situation in 2010 (RIP mum) it's very unpleasant indeed. She was in an expensive "grannyfarm" and also had Alzheimer's.

First and foremost. sorry for the loss of your dad.

Back