Empty area at Riverside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always had my doubts about how this temporary stand became a permanent one. Don't know much about it but can't see it being designed to withstand being exposed to the elements all year round. Maybe it's past it's sell by date.

But the most important thing is that the injured make a full recovery and hopefully the Club have been in contact with them.

If the stand needs to be replaced then a big bank should be created. Then spectators can sit, stand, lie or stagger aimlessly about on it which should keep everybody happy. Would be empty most of the season so would be mainly just scenic then, but would come into its own for international matches. If you want to sit on it then bring your own seats/deckchairs or hire them off the club.

I always had my doubts about how this temporary stand became a permanent one. Don't know much about it but can't see it being designed to withstand being exposed to the elements all year round. Maybe it's past it's sell by date.

But the most important thing is that the injured make a full recovery and hopefully the Club have been in contact with them.

If the stand needs to be replaced then a big bank should be created. Then spectators can sit, stand, lie or stagger aimlessly about on it which should keep everybody happy. Would be empty most of the season so would be mainly just scenic then, but would come into its own for international matches. If you want to sit on it then bring your own seats/deckchairs or hire them off the club.

not to be pedantic but surely if it is a big bank then if you tried to use a chair you'd fall over?

i tried to get a view of what happened front he penthouse but couldnt really see, does anyone know did the boarding come away from it's securings or did the boarding itself crack? because if the boards themselves broke then you'd think that is entirely due to weather, although surely that would come up in stress testing? unless either it wasnt done or it just involved walking around/jummping on it, which may have actually weakened it

I've always like a grass bank mind, Adelaide and a few in South Africa spring to mind. Although they tend to get the weather, could be like Wigan all over again, fun though. :lol:

not to be pedantic but surely if it is a big bank then if you tried to use a chair you'd fall over?

i tried to get a view of what happened front he penthouse but couldnt really see, does anyone know did the boarding come away from it's securings or did the boarding itself crack? because if the boards themselves broke then you'd think that is entirely due to weather, although surely that would come up in stress testing? unless either it wasnt done or it just involved walking around/jummping on it, which may have actually weakened it
From the photos it looks like a complete flooring panel fell away .... suggested to me that fixings broke.

Surely what Durham do about it will depend on what they want to do with regards T20's and International fixtures ... if they want those they'll get either repair of replace the seating with the same because when they sell tickets for the big crowds they'll need to be able to allocate tickets to specific seats.

Personally, when it's dry I'd much prefer a grass bank like.

If there was a big bank created, it would see a return of the mud slide down Wigan back in the third division days.

I'm in

What I was thinking about was a bank like some grounds in Aussie and SA have. Don't know if it should be grassed as it would be awful clarty when wet. Not steep though just on an incline. The current temp/perm stand is known as the party stand, but in these stands some people like standing up, others wander about and there's constant movement getting drinks in food etc. So there's not much point in rows of fixed seats, just chairs for those that want them. Might work might not.

It's going to have to be sorted, or they'll take away the odi next summer.

It's going to have to be sorted, or they'll take away the odi next summer.

was talking about this yeasterday, they've started selling tickets already which i didnt realise.

if we have to shell out x amount to replace the castle stand as well as the deck chair casuals blue stand and lord otis' green seat brigade then will it still be a profitable venture?

was talking about this yeasterday, they've started selling tickets already which i didnt realise.

if we have to shell out x amount to replace the castle stand as well as the deck chair casuals blue stand and lord otis' green seat brigade then will it still be a profitable venture?
Probably not if they have to do that but, they could finance it over a period of time, ie take out a loan and they would have to gain the permission of the FTECB for that!

If they're going to replace it with a grassy bank ..... they'll have to dismantle the stand that's there already and get rid ..... I've no idea of the cost of that even if they can sell it (scrap value) but it will also cost.

Making repairs on the face of it seems the most cost effective way to proceed, but the decision to do that would be subject to a detailed examination - which they are probably having to do anyway for the H+S inquiry, and if the repairs are too costly for the moment the stand will remain there unused and a eyesore and there will be no Internationals for several years.

When the stewards moved spectators from the Green Seats on Tuesday morning they seemed to meet some fierce resistance from the Deckchair Casuals when they attempted to do the same in the Blue Seat Section...needless to say their leader and his followers remained firmly seated there for the whole day.

Speaking of the grass bank I used to love the one at the Racecourse in the early years but as a 50something now I dare say more than an hour on a duplicate model at the Riverside probably wouldnt help me rheumatoid arthritis.

Last edited:
Probably not if they have to do that but, they could finance it over a period of time, ie take out a loan and they would have to gain the permission of the FTECB for that!

If they're going to replace it with a grassy bank ..... they'll have to dismantle the stand that's there already and get rid ..... I've no idea of the cost of that even if they can sell it (scrap value) but it will also cost.

Making repairs on the face of it seems the most cost effective way to proceed, but the decision to do that would be subject to a detailed examination - which they are probably having to do anyway for the H+S inquiry, and if the repairs are too costly for the moment the stand will remain there unused and a eyesore and there will be no Internationals for several years.

well naturally, we're talking june 2018 already, probably at best a 50-50 chance for an odi or t20 the following year, i guess there is a chance we'll be given a bangladesh t20 or an odi against afghanistan in april or september maybe in 2019

When the stewards moved spectators from the Green Seats on Tuesday morning they seemed to meet some fierce resistance from the Deckchair Casuals when they attempted to do the same in the Blue Seat Section...needless to say their leader and his followers remained firmly seated there for the whole day.

Speaking of the grass bank I used to love the one at the Racecourse in the early years but as a 50something now I dare say more than an hour on a duplicate model at the Riverside probably wouldnt help me rh

aye, the concrete seating remained in use but the back rows, with the temp. flooring structure was closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back