Empty area at Riverside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would they not have received a safety certificate for the game?
It sounds like there was a safety inspection beforehand.

But this looks like one of the aluminium rubber coated panels that make up the flooring gave way, the ones to the right and left were fine. I'm not sure how those could be inspect without taking each one up and examining it.

Still press reports I read haven't hyped this up so the club have gotten away from it - apart from the normal (statutory) proceedings after an accident by whichever responsible agency.

Article in The Times this morning. Don't think we've heard the last of this. Appears that other seats broke free from the flooring in other parts of the stand and other bits of flooring gave way without holes appearing. One woman remains in hospital with a severely broken leg. Not good. :(

I suppose the result will be ........
club is fines by HSE
the injured are compensated (and I hope the woman recovers well)
the temporary stands are dismantled .... and replaced with ???????????

Will this lead to next summer's odi being played elsewhere?

A "temporary" stand has remained in situ permanently since 2013. It has been open to the elements all that time but by definition is not designed to be as resilient as a permanent stand. Apparently Durham have been responsible for maintenance as they chose not to use the services of the company they bought it from.

Wouldn't surprise me if a detailed inspection shows weaknesses caused by being permanently open to the elements. If it needs to be dismantled can we afford to replace it given that it is only really needed for international matches?

A "temporary" stand has remained in situ permanently since 2013. It has been open to the elements all that time but by definition is not designed to be as resilient as a permanent stand. Apparently Durham have been responsible for maintenance as they chose not to use the services of the company they bought it from.

Wouldn't surprise me if a detailed inspection shows weaknesses caused by being permanently open to the elements. If it needs to be dismantled can we afford to replace it given that it is only really needed for international matches?
What does an 'inspection entail? Checking the scaffolding underneath of course but if they haven' disassembled it to check on the fixings have they missed a trick. It's temporary supposedly, meaning it should be being disassembled frequently which would give the folk a chance to examine the connectors between the connecting panels.

What does an 'inspection entail? Checking the scaffolding underneath of course but if they haven' disassembled it to check on the fixings have they missed a trick. It's temporary supposedly, meaning it should be being disassembled frequently which would give the folk a chance to examine the connectors between the connecting panels.
Exactly, taking down then putting back up a supposedly temporary structure is a much better way of spotting weaknesses

Walked past it this morning and all the rubbish is still there from Saturday. They must have been told not to enter the stand at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back