Employment rights

They could just say the position isn’t available due to funding or due to a restructure. There’s nothing he can do except kick up a stink. Even then it’s still gonna be the same outcome

Has your mate resgned from his current position on the basis of the expected offer?

If he has, and he can't retract his resignation, then sounds to me like he could claim civil damages for loss of earnings. I would personally go to an employment lawyer who offers a "first interview free" to get some impartial legal advice.

A company I worked at many years ago cancelled their graduate recruitment programe and gave the graduates £500 compensation each by means of an apology.

In this instance there's an e-mail trail, giving the lad concerned a case.

A verbal offer without witnesses would be hard to verify if withdrawn.
Didn't the email say they "intend" to offer the job to him. The company could always play with semantics and say they intended to off him the job but decided not to.

Didn't the email say they "intend" to offer the job to him. The company could always play with semantics and say they intended to off him the job but decided not to.

First e-mail from memory said they were offering the job conditional on references.

Second e-mail said references were okay and that he satisfied requirements.

That being the case, the language used meant the job offer stood.

I'd say the language used supported the lady's case here and the company has dug itself a hole.

They'll nèed a good employment lawyer to argue their way out of this I'd say.

First e-mail from memory said they were offering the job conditional on references.

Second e-mail said references were okay and that he satisfied requirements.

That being the case, the language used meant the job offer stood.

I'd say the language used supported the lady's case here and the company has dug itself a hole.

They'll nèed a good employment lawyer to argue their way out of this I'd say.
I see what you mean mate

Not sure I agree though

I don't think she will win

Has your mate resgned from his current position on the basis of the expected offer?

If he has, and he can't retract his resignation, then sounds to me like he could claim civil damages for loss of earnings. I would personally go to an employment lawyer who offers a "first interview free" to get some impartial legal advice.
This happened to a family member. Offered a job which he accepted, so he handed his notice in. The next week they came back and said only one of his references was from an employer, the other was a personal reference so they couldn't give him the job. He'd been at the same place for 20 year since he left school, not sure where they expected him to pull another employer from.

Pretty shite way to treat a potential employee.

This happened to a family member. Offered a job which he accepted, so he handed his notice in. The next week they came back and said only one of his references was from an employer, the other was a personal reference so they couldn't give him the job. He'd been at the same place for 20 year since he left school, not sure where they expected him to pull another employer from.

Pretty shite way to treat a potential employee.

What was the final outcome?

Your mates way round that would have been two different managers from different ties with that company, one of course naturally, ideally being the most recent.

What was the final outcome?

Your mates way round that would have been two different managers from different ties with that company, one of course naturally, ideally being the most recent.
I know at first they'd said one reference from his employer and one personal would be fine, I think the personal one was from a former manager anyway, but I don't know if they gave him a chance to provide another reference when they went back on it, or just said he wasn't able to provide two from former employers and that was that.

Outcome wise, he looked into taking legal action against them but he found another job not long after. As he had a load of other stuff going on I think he just put it down to a bad experience and moved on.

I know at first they'd said one reference from his employer and one personal would be fine, I think the personal one was from a former manager anyway, but I don't know if they gave him a chance to provide another reference when they went back on it, or just said he wasn't able to provide two from former employers and that was that.

Outcome wise, he looked into taking legal action against them but he found another job not long after. As he had a load of other stuff going on I think he just put it down to a bad experience and moved on.

That's just it. Life goes on and other things take your mind off it.

With the Uni. academic i mentioned earlier, it came down to proving my case knowing others would shy off or stay out of it for their own good - I get that to be honest. There was also the previous case I mentioned that fell apart when a woman who worked for him previously to me also sued him for (non-sexual) harrasment. Universities close ranks as I have already said and getting myself sorted was more important than pursuing and wasting money on a case I was unlikely to win.

It depends upon the OP's mate's circomstances. If the apparent offer and his acceptance has led to significant complications say with his current employer (i.e. his attempt to withdraw notice might either be knocked back due to them having found a replacement or they have offered to keep him on with recuded terms), then it might be worth pursuing an action.

However, if withdrawing notice had led to his current status quo being maintained, it might not be worth pursuing and perhaps writing it off to experience is the best option were then might be little to be gained.

We don't know the full details and there may be other information that may swing it in favour of either the new employer or his way. He needs to sit down with either a employent expert, solicitor or even just citizens advice to decide if it's worth pursuing. Asking a mate who then posts on a message board can point him in the right direction, but he really needs to talk to someone in the know.

Back