RR Employment law, fitness and Duncan Watmore: Another tough task for Sunderland to contend with

What an awful article.

I was actually surprised he has played 66 games in his 6 yrs, he must have had half of that time unable to be play and the first couple of years he was as a 19, 20yr old breaking in to the first team.

Get off the lad’s back, get behind him for his full recovery and back to match fitness and then you can decide if he is worth his salary.

Thats all well and good. He is injured. I feel for the lad and hope he gets back to full fitness. But not at this club. I would not be taking further gambles on him considering his fitness and that is whats best for safc imo. Would you give him a new deal in Jan?
Well perhaps clubs should think about insurance to cover injuries when they have a player sign a long term contract then?
It doesn't half come across as a snidey article.

Well perhaps clubs should think about insurance to cover injuries when they have a player sign a long term contract then?
It doesn't half come across as a snidey article.

Oh yeah it does. Out Of the blue as well. Watmore is somewhat a forgotten man for me. I guess thats what gives me my opinion on the matter in that ive forgot we had him. I think clubs do have some form of insurance which has been highlighted in the stories about owen this week. Owners asking him not to train so it appears he is still knackered therefore insurance still pay out his weekly.
What an awful article.

I was actually surprised he has played 66 games in his 6 yrs, he must have had half of that time unable to be play and the first couple of years he was as a 19, 20yr old breaking in to the first team.

Get off the lad’s back, get behind him for his full recovery and back to match fitness and then you can decide if he is worth his salary.

If he gets back by jan though mate and plays at most 20 games for us. Worth his salary. I know i know its not his fault but would not be signing him again. The fact his name hasnt came up in terms of contract discussions says just that in terms of the club's stance
If anything, the cockwomble who wrote that article has actually managed to do something that's rarely seen on this forum, nearly everyone agreeing that he writes f***ing tripe!

The head honcho at RR needs to swap the lads job title from writer to something he has more experience in......toilet attend maybe?

I dont think we should sign him an extension however his upbringing or parents should not come anywhere into it whatsoever. The article is awfully written as well. Like someone who has overused a thesaurus for the sake of it.

Last edited:
Photo by Ian Horrocks/Sunderland AFC via Getty Images “Personally I believe that the perverse nature of employment law within football is debilitating for clubs, and cases like Watmore prove it” writes Damian Brown. Nearly six months ago Duncan Watmore celebrated his birthday. Fortunate enough to be on the right side of thirty, at twenty five...

More at Roker Report...
It's always the case that employers have a moral and legal duty to continue to support employees who are injured at work whether they are miners, civil servants or footballers. If the problem is long term most employers have some sort of medical retirement/severance scheme that will be applied. Footballers however seem to stay on their contract which can be quite beneficial if they have several years left on it, like Watmore. I assume however he must be missing out on win bonuses and appearance money while he's injured?

Difference is, nobody thinks he's taking the piss. He got a horrible injury, then after recovering, got another totally unrelated horrible injury.
And now he's picking up niggles all the time, probably from being unfit for over 3 years.

No one is doubting the injuries. Yes they are truly awful as has been said in the thread hundreds of times. My point is that we should not offer him another contract and i dont think we will. Its that simple. And if he is fit by jan and he no longer needs our rehab, we have done all we can as his employer, if both sides are mutual to him walking away i would cut him loose. Let him join another club. Its not sacking him like some have came up with. We cant sack him. Its terminating his contract by mutual consent. He will be talking to other clubs in jan anyway to move away.

No one is doubting the injuries. Yes they are truly awful as has been said in the thread hundreds of times. My point is that we should not offer him another contract and i dont think we will. Its that simple. And if he is fit by jan and he no longer needs our rehab, we have done all we can as his employer, if both sides are mutual to him walking away i would cut him loose. Let him join another club. Its not sacking him like some have came up with. We cant sack him. Its terminating his contract by mutual consent. He will be talking to other clubs in jan anyway to move away.
Its not even terminating his contract, its merely a contract ending.

I agree with you, though.

If you'd been off long term sick and found out your employer was making moves to get shot of you, what would you think of them?
I think you would find that after a period of time (weeks not years) your employer would stop paying you and you would go onto Statutory Sick Pay. I am pretty sure this is not the cast here and that Mr Watmore continues to draw his full wage.

I think you would find that after a period of time (weeks not years) your employer would stop paying you and you would go onto Statutory Sick Pay. I am pretty sure this is not the cast here and that Mr Watmore continues to draw his full wage.

Depends whats in your contract?

Its not even terminating his contract, its merely a contract ending.

I agree with you, though.

When i first said it on here people were talking as if he was a club legend and i was taking him outside to put him down. He will find another club. Sadly due to injuries, his time with us has not been successful. Im not going to say he is a bad player as he isnt and dont think he has been able to show his true talent and develop but his time to develop somewhere else has came

When i first said it on here people were talking as if he was a club legend and i was taking him outside to put him down. He will find another club. Sadly due to injuries, his time with us has not been successful. Im not going to say he is a bad player as he isnt and dont think he has been able to show his true talent and develop but his time to develop somewhere else has came
He seems a great lad, and genuinely wants to get fit and play. But we're not a charity, we can't do things like that.
Unless he proves he can get & remain fit between now and June, then we have no choice but to let him leave.

Sadly, I have a feeling his injuries came just as he was improving into a very decent player, but also that that opportunity may have passed now.

He seems a great lad, and genuinely wants to get fit and play. But we're not a charity, we can't do things like that.
Unless he proves he can get & remain fit between now and June, then we have no choice but to let him leave.

Sadly, I have a feeling his injuries came just as he was improving into a very decent player, but also that that opportunity may have passed now.

I agree and disagree.

He's always been like a dog chasing a balloon. Had he not had the pace he's got, he'd be nowhere near a professional footballer. His first touch is a long ball, he runs head down into trouble, he never has the ball under control (it's always bobbling and bouncing). Granted, he's wholehearted, grounded, intelligent and what appears to be a nice lad, but if he left tomorrow I'd be like Meh!

Saying all this, if he gets himself fully fit and firing, I believe he'd prosper in this league, but no higher (if he did, I'd be flabbergasted)!

I agree and disagree.

He's always been like a dog chasing a balloon. Had he not had the pace he's got, he'd be nowhere near a professional footballer. His first touch is a long ball, he runs head down into trouble, he never has the ball under control (it's always bobbling and bouncing). Granted, he's wholehearted, grounded, intelligent and what appears to be a nice lad, but if he left tomorrow I'd be like Meh!

Saying all this, if he gets himself fully fit and firing, I believe he'd prosper in this league, but no higher (if he did, I'd be flabbergasted)!
really don't want to get into a bun fight over this, because there's no point - and I really do see your point to a large extent - I just thought that he was improving and had promise.

Photo by Ian Horrocks/Sunderland AFC via Getty Images “Personally I believe that the perverse nature of employment law within football is debilitating for clubs, and cases like Watmore prove it” writes Damian Brown. Nearly six months ago Duncan Watmore celebrated his birthday. Fortunate enough to be on the right side of thirty, at twenty five...

More at Roker Report...
That's a disgraceful article
If I was RTG Id seriously consider cutting all ties to roker report on the back of it. Kicking a lad when he's down is a ***** trick and that's all this article is.

Its a shame the author will never have the balls to get on here and explain what he would like the club to do, or what parts of employment law he'd like to see scrapped.

Last edited:
That's a disgraceful article
If I was RTG Id seriously consider cutting all ties to roker report on the back of it. Kicking a lad when he's down is a ***** trick and that's all this article is.

Its a shame the author will never have the balls to get on here and explain what he would like the club to do, or what parts of employment law he'd like to see scrapped.
Totally agree marra.
How a Sunderland supporter could write an article like that astounds me.
Disgusting.

Back