Employer buying back employees unused holidays

Sounds ok
100% would be better but its surprising how many people use holidays because they have to

I had a week off after 3 months of furlough that had been booked in prior.

Sadly pubs and restaurants were still shut but the wife had worked all the way through so I just kept it.

I find those that have holidays left over are mostly the kind of people that don’t turn up for nights out and you’re pretty pleased about it.

I worked all the way through and had time with the bairn.

Still had 12 days left, we had the option to carry them over.

We lost a fellow director to Covid last April and set a foundation up in his name.

Few of us have waived the right to carry them over and asked the owners to buy them back and give the money to the foundation. If I haven’t taken them all this year, it’s highly unlikely I’ll take them all next before I add on any additional.

To be fair they’ve agreed as they’d be paying out anyway and plus means we ain’t getting over run with holidays next year.

Last edited:
I can carry 5 days over apparently, need to confirm, otherwise they will buy them back at 100%. I value the time off much higher.

Not really relevant but I'm moving government departments next month I think. My current department have told me I need to use up all of my annual leave and flexi before I do (15 days leave accrued and 1 day flexi).

Is this unfair or allowed? I was hoping to get a git big bumper wage off them when I leave.

Happened to a mate of mine not long ago. They wouldn't pay up and the OGD wouldn't let him bring them, so was forced to take a fortnight off before shifting.

We had our carry over doubled to 10d. No buybacks. Just took random days off for home admin and the like.

I'd want them bought back at 100% day rate mind if they had a buyback scheme.

It's like saying you can work 2h on your day off at 75%

I took holidays throughout the lockdowns (some enforced and some that were planned before it all kicked off) and the company claimed furlough for the holiday time so effectively got that for a fraction of the cost it should’ve been for them.

Not going to lose any sleep over it but yer knar.
Iirc the rules are that if they get furlough for your annual leave, they have to give you the equivalent furlough. They also have to pay 100% for the leave you took and not the 80%.
So if you took a week off, which they then furlough you for , that week they have to pay you 100%, and then they also have to give you another week of furlough on top.

Fair? Sounds illegal more like!
What was illegal about it?
Iirc the rules are that if they get furlough for your annual leave, they have to give you the equivalent furlough. They also have to pay 100% for the leave you took and not the 80%.
So if you took a week off, which they then furlough you for , that week they have to pay you 100%, and then they also have to give you another week of furlough on top.
Yeah, was topped up to 100%. I don’t really understand the extra week furlough on top? What does that mean?

Last edited:

Back