Employer buying back employees unused holidays

Fletch

Striker
Due to lockdown the past 12 months employees have a fair bit unused holidays (including myself)

Director has emailed all to say company will buy this holiday off staff , to stop build up , at a £ rate of 75% , no discussion on carrying forward etc

Does that sound fair practice ? wasn't sure if was missing a trick :)

Due to lockdown the past 12 months employees have a fair bit unused holidays (including myself)

Director has emailed all to say company will buy this holiday off staff , to stop build up , at a £ rate of 75% , no discussion on carrying forward etc

Options there

I'd snap their hands off.....I've got just shy of a couple of weeks carried over, and had nowt so far this year and unlikely to in the near future due to brexit / covid impacts in the logistics world.

Carrying over just compounds the issue year on year unless you take random days or have something big pencilled in.

75% seems fair to me (regardless of any contractual agreements, in the current climate)

I'd snap their hands off.....I've got just shy of a couple of weeks carried over, and had nowt so far this year and unlikely to in the near future due to brexit / covid impacts in the logistics world.

Carrying over just compounds the issue year on year unless you take random days or have something big pencilled in.

75% seems fair to me (regardless of any contractual agreements, in the current climate)
exactly this

I have about 12 days still left - our holiday year end March. We have been told we need to use them and can carry over maximum 5. Shame as I was hoping to sell them back

During furlough you accrue holidays like you would if you were working. I think any change to the normal has to be agreed between you and your employer.

Although in reality there doesnt seem to be much discussion. Im part furloughed and have been told im using my holidays to top my wages back up. there was no discussion. Only get 20 days off a year as well the tight bastards so will have naff all to use when i go back full time. Would rather the 80% pay and keep my holidays.

Doesnt sound unfair.

I've still got a few hols left to take & will be taking them for the sake of it. If I could cash them in, I probably would (although it should be 100%, really)

Not really relevant but I'm moving government departments next month I think. My current department have told me I need to use up all of my annual leave and flexi before I do (15 days leave accrued and 1 day flexi).

Is this unfair or allowed? I was hoping to get a git big bumper wage off them when I leave.

100% if you've worked all the way through. Negotiated if you've been furloughed. You have been off anyway.
I took holidays throughout the lockdowns (some enforced and some that were planned before it all kicked off) and the company claimed furlough for the holiday time so effectively got that for a fraction of the cost it should’ve been for them.

Not going to lose any sleep over it but yer knar.

I've got 12 1/2 days left (until the end of March).

I bought 5 last year (foolishly), and can carry them all. But will sell 5 back as not sure when I'll get through them all if I'm carrying 12 1/2!!

Selling them for 75% seems fair to me, if you cant/dont want to carry them over.

I took holidays throughout the lockdowns (some enforced and some that were planned before it all kicked off) and the company claimed furlough for the holiday time so effectively got that for a fraction of the cost it should’ve been for them.

Not going to lose any sleep over it but yer knar.
The company was still affected by the pandemic so that seems fair.

Oh aye. I’ve not complained about any of it.

They take what never help they can and if it means zero people losing their job then even better.
We need to take 50% of our leave by the end of June so all of our leave doesn't get bunched up towards the end of the year. We're a consultancy so charge their employees out on a day rate, so it makes sense really.

Back