Employee rights - company trying to use a document I created

chunksafc

Striker
Evening the great and good of the SMB. I have an issue and hope to get some sensible advice.

I created in my own time an Excel workbook for my own benefit to make my job easier and clearer to both internal staff and external clients. It was always for my own use, but the company I work for have decided it's that good they are going to roll it out to everyone.

I objected at the beginning when it was first suggested but they have now told me today that it is being "launched" next week.

Is there anything I can do to stop it or get money for them using it?

Shit on your gaffas desk and put birthday candles in it
Bet you used company time to develop it. Therefore they probably own it as per most contracts.

Not sure why you expect to be paid for creating an Excel sheet.
Not sure why he’s expecting sensible advice as well

Evening the great and good of the SMB. I have an issue and hope to get some sensible advice.

I created in my own time an Excel workbook for my own benefit to make my job easier and clearer to both internal staff and external clients. It was always for my own use, but the company I work for have decided it's that good they are going to roll it out to everyone.

I objected at the beginning when it was first suggested but they have now told me today that it is being "launched" next week.

Is there anything I can do to stop it or get money for them using it?
Our of curiosity how much time/effort did it take to make?

Bet you used company time to develop it. Therefore they probably own it as per most contracts.

Not sure why you expect to be paid for creating an Excel sheet.
Developed in my own time, it's a document that can be taken from cradle to grave on a project and provide KPI on costs against estimate, which our company don't have at present.

It also provides labour, material and plant schedules for the contracts manager
Our of curiosity how much time/effort did it take to make?
A fair while, I've been working off and on with it for years to get it to where I think it needs to be

Last edited:
If it made my workmates life easy I wouldn't mind

And ask the question why didn't you come up with this instead of plodding on with crap company format

Developed in my own time, it's a document that can be taken from cradle to grave on a project and provide KPI on costs against estimate, which our company don't have at present.

A fair while, I've been working off and on with it for years to get it to where I think it needs to be

Once someone leaves they’ll take it to another company and so on

It’ll be nationwide in a couple of year

Don’t let it bother you man

How much do you think it’s worth? Is it protected in anyway E.g. copyright? patent? If not then I’d say anyone can use it.

An Excel workbook is being rolled out across the business? As long as they credit for you, take it. Might lead to a promotion?
No chance of promotion or recognition
Entirely whilst employed by the business? Tell them that they can licence it from you :lol:
How are they going to roll it out? Have you shared it with them?
I brought it with me when I joined them last year as it's a very good estimating tool.

We are allowed to use our own workbooks for estimates, mine just happens to be rather good

Last edited:

Back