Empire's Top films of the past 30 years

No, I stand by my assessment of, not very good but not as bad as it’s made out by broflakes who have completely lost their sense of proportion
See the broflakes thing is bollocks, (not your assessment that it happened) their arguments don't stand up at all.

Saying the movie is too diverse and shite... it's utter nonsense.

It's a f***ing space opera, if anything it should be more diverse, what are the chances if that actually happened most of the main characters involved would be human? :lol:

I like it. It's a good yarn - as most Dumas tales are. I forget what year it was but I always enjoy The Man In The Iron Mask anarl.

They should do a proper Three Musketeers I reckon. One that isn't Charlie Sheen & Chris O'Donnell, or that god awful steam punk mess.
Man in the iron mask is absolutely quality.

Would be great to do a modern adaptation of it along similar themes.

Last edited:
Does it? Can't say I've seen it.

What I don't get is why you seem to have an issue with me. You could ignore my posts or not engage. But almost without fail, you turn up like the proverbial bad penny, say something snarky, and go again.
I don't think I've ever come out swinging for you without provocation.

I'm calling you out on this because for the life of me I've no idea what I must have done to offend you but you seem to have a permanent chip on your shoulder when I post something - particularly when I start a thread.
:lol:

You were probs ower busy twisting about the Fail or playing some sackless word game. ;)

1989 - Batman
1990- Goodfellas
1991- Silence of the lambs
1992- White men can't jump
1993- In the name of the father
1994- Pulp Fiction
1995- Se7en
1996- Trainspotting
1997- Filth Element
1998- Saving Private Ryan
1999- fight Club
2000- Gladiator
2001- Monsters Inc
2002- Catch me if you can
2003- Last Samuruai
2004- The Aviator
2005- Batman Begins
2006- The Departed
2007- Zodiac
2008- Iron Man
2009- Inglorious Basterds
2010- Tron Legacy
2011- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
2012- Skyfall
2013- The Wolf of Wall Street
2014-American Sniper
2015- the Martian
2016- Rogue One
2017- Get Out
2018- Ready Player One
2019- Haven't seen owt yet

See the broflakes thing is bollocks, (not your assessment that it happened) their arguments don't stand up at all.

Saying the movie is too diverse and shite... it's utter nonsense.

It's a f***ing space opera, if anything it should be more diverse, what are the chances if that actually happened most of the main characters involved would be human? :lol:

There’s obviously the alt.right trolling everyone - or lunatics like @JumpingAnaconda who actually believe it - and there’s fans of the Star Wars universe who can’t stand anything that’s not canon and will give anything that *is* canon too easy a ride. For example I thought Rogue One was only OK, enjoyed it at the time but it was just a bit too join the dots in its approach as well as introducing some continuity problems.* But because it ticked a few boxes of “look it’s the Jedi City!” “Oh, cool, that character was mentioned in some Alan Dean Foster novelisations woohoo” some of the hardcore fans couldn’t control their erections.

My problems with Last Jedi were that it had some good ideas but put them out so hamfistedly and at times required characters to act so illogically it just threw you out of the picture.

*But of course any continuity problems in R1 are completely overshadowed by the prequels. Darth Vader has been looking for his son for 20 years, and it didn’t occur to him to go to Tattoine where a kid called Skywalker has been living all that time with Obi Wan just up the road. Or when he’s on the Death Star and feels a teeny tiny tingling of the Force when a space ship arrives containing his son, his Jedi teacher, a droid he personally built and another droid he had with him on various adventures for about 15 years and a Wookiee which was apparently part of the entire story of the end of the Republic, clone wars and everything else. His Force should be bouncing him off the f***ing walls, man. And speaking of Chewbacca, it never occurs to him to speak up at all throughout Eps 4 5 and 6 with everything he knows about everything, not even when Luke starts trying to shag his sister? f***ing hell.

There’s obviously the alt.right trolling everyone - or lunatics like @JumpingAnaconda who actually believe it - and there’s fans of the Star Wars universe who can’t stand anything that’s not canon and will give anything that *is* canon too easy a ride. For example I thought Rogue One was only OK, enjoyed it at the time but it was just a bit too join the dots in its approach as well as introducing some continuity problems.* But because it ticked a few boxes of “look it’s the Jedi City!” “Oh, cool, that character was mentioned in some Alan Dean Foster novelisations woohoo” some of the hardcore fans couldn’t control their erections.

My problems with Last Jedi were that it had some good ideas but put them out so hamfistedly and at times required characters to act so illogically it just threw you out of the picture.

*But of course any continuity problems in R1 are completely overshadowed by the prequels. Darth Vader has been looking for his son for 20 years, and it didn’t occur to him to go to Tattoine where a kid called Skywalker has been living all that time with Obi Wan just up the road. Or when he’s on the Death Star and feels a teeny tiny tingling of the Force when a space ship arrives containing his son, his Jedi teacher, a droid he personally built and another droid he had with him on various adventures for about 15 years and a Wookiee which was apparently part of the entire story of the end of the Republic, clone wars and everything else. His Force should be bouncing him off the f***ing walls, man. And speaking of Chewbacca, it never occurs to him to speak up at all throughout Eps 4 5 and 6 with everything he knows about everything, not even when Luke starts trying to shag his sister? f***ing hell.
Well I think rogue 1 is the best star wars movie out of all of the non 3 originals so its probably the source of why we disagree so often :lol:

I'm not into all the "canon" stuff, I don't watch anything other than the films.

I don't know where all this "stuff" about chewie comes from you say. Chewie wasn't in rogue one was he?

Have I misread what you have said

Well I think rogue 1 is the best star wars movie out of all of the non 3 originals so its probably the source of why we disagree so often :lol:

I'm not into all the "canon" stuff, I don't watch anything other than the films.

I don't know where all this "stuff" about chewie comes from you say. Chewie wasn't in rogue one was he?

Have I misread what you have said

Yeah - I was putting my continuity based criticisms of R1 into perspective compared to the prequels which made an absolute mess of everything including Chewbacca

Yeah - I was putting my continuity based criticisms of R1 into perspective compared to the prequels which made an absolute mess of everything including Chewbacca
But Chewbacca was only involved in the battle of Kashyyk in the prequels wasn't he.

He didn't know about luke and leia and that? iirc.

1989 - Batman
1990- Goodfellas
1991- Silence of the lambs
1992- White men can't jump
1993- In the name of the father
1994- Pulp Fiction
1995- Se7en
1996- Trainspotting
1997- Filth Element
1998- Saving Private Ryan
1999- fight Club
2000- Gladiator
2001- Monsters Inc
2002- Catch me if you can
2003- Last Samuruai
2004- The Aviator
2005- Batman Begins
2006- The Departed
2007- Zodiac
2008- Iron Man
2009- Inglorious Basterds
2010- Tron Legacy
2011- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
2012- Skyfall
2013- The Wolf of Wall Street
2014-American Sniper
2015- the Martian
2016- Rogue One
2017- Get Out
2018- Ready Player One
2019- Haven't seen owt yet
Rogue one, wish I'd included it meself but deadpool was so good.

Best star wars movie for a long long time.

Comic book films have been some of the most successful of the last 30 years. Not surprising they would appear a lot on a list of favourites.

Nothing wrong with enjoying a popcorn flick.
I enjoy Commando. Like massively. I'd never put it on a best of list, though. It's fair enough enjoying mindless action but adding myriad comic book movies to a list like this is just sad. In my opinion.

1989 Dead Poets Society.
1990 Goodfellas.
1991 The Commitments.
1992 The Lawnmower Man.
1993 Sleepless in Seattle.
1994 Legends of the Fall.
1995 Copycat.
1996 Mars Attacks.
1997 The Full Monty.
1998 Elizabeth.
1999 American Beauty.
2000 High Fidelity.
2001 Shrek.
2002 40 Days and 40 Nights.
2003 Mona Lisa Smile.
2004 Coffee & Cigarettes.
2005 Brokeback Mountain.
2006 Shortbus.
2007 Hot Fuzz.
2008 Pineapple Express.
2009 The Dark Knight.
2010 Shutter Island.
2011 Drive.
2012 Skyfall.
2013 The Butler.
2014 The 100 Foot Journey.
2015 The Danish Girl.
2016 King Cobra.
2017 God's Own Country.
2018 The Death of Stalin.

I like it. It's a good yarn - as most Dumas tales are. I forget what year it was but I always enjoy The Man In The Iron Mask anarl.

They should do a proper Three Musketeers I reckon. One that isn't Charlie Sheen & Chris O'Donnell, or that god awful steam punk mess.

Logon or register to see this image

Wish granted. Part 1 1973 and Part 2 1974. Oliver Reed on absolutely top form and great casting for the other musketeers, with Christopher Lee, Faye Dunaway and Charlton Heston as the baddies and Raquel Welch as the love interest. Never been bettered

But Chewbacca was only involved in the battle of Kashyyk in the prequels wasn't he.

He didn't know about luke and leia and that? iirc.

Rogue one, wish I'd included it meself but deadpool was so good.

Best star wars movie for a long long time.
probably the best star wars movie of all......modern take on older times, the 70's kid in me went bezerk.....

that said Deadpool was also brilliant, tough call.

Rogue 1 was an enjoyable
Logon or register to see this image

Wish granted. Part 1 1973 and Part 2 1974. Oliver Reed on absolutely top form and great casting for the other musketeers, with Christopher Lee, Faye Dunaway and Charlton Heston as the baddies and Raquel Welch as the love interest. Never been bettered

Hmm good point. Maybe should watch them properly (think I've seen bits n pieces over the years).

Back