Emeli Sandé new Chancellor of Sunderland Uni

Brilliant choice. I heard the club have giving her a new jersey with 'Sand 9' on the back and VIP tickets to the play-off final. A true daughter of Sunderland.

Yet they still ask for staff to volunteer to take "voluntary severance", as they are well over budget on many levels and need some severe cost cutting. Staff wise, a considerable number of departments are on their knees following from the last staff cutting exercise. They are overworked, under pressure, yet they want/need to cut further. So... don't be so fooled by the spin, which suggests all is rosy.

I will say, whilst we are diversifying the business, exploring other areas (probably stealing the march on other/bigger Universities), we still do everything arse over tit, waste cash and allow internal politics to determine strategy... It's a frustrating organisation to work for sometimes, when you know you could improve something, but have to jump through hoops to get anywhere...

Anyhow, back to the new chancellor... I'm sure I read an article on here, where she slated Sunderland and stated that she would never return. I'm just concerned that the University have gone full steam ahead to appoint her, without doing the research on what she has potentially said about the city in the past. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite them on the arse.

Sir David Bell is our current Vice chancellor, Shirley left the post last year!

VS schemes, cost cutting exercises, constant restructuring and arse about face systems and procedures aren’t unknown in the other HE establishments in the region either ;)

Agreed.

IMO, it's our illustrious council that should carry the responsibility of making people feel positive about Sunderland again, but they've just been an abject failure. The Vaux site (in particular) has been an area where they've had no plan (apart from their stupid models) and no desire to build us a bright new future. They've pulled the wool over our eyes, delivering a bridge (which I still don't know why we needed it), a square (and....?) and errrrrrrrm can;t think of owt else. They could easily help the University attract new business/opportunities if they would just get their fingers out of their arses, their snouts out of the trough and deliver for the city, instead of delivering token gesture projects and crowing about it for ever in a day.

It’s the council’s job to run services and try and develop the town. And they’ve got a tough job just doing that.

The people feeling positive is down to them. There’s nowt to stop the people of Sunderland doing things themselves to improve the situation economically, culturally or whatever. And it’s good to see many cases of people trying that.

If you leave it to bureaucratic units to make you feel positive you’re going to be miserable for a long time.

Just looked up the list someone posted earlier - could honestly say I didn't have a clue who's chancellor of the uni I'm going back to (mature student) next year until I looked it up. You see them once at the end of your three years for most of them unless they're ridiculously high profile on graduation day where everyone looks a total wazzock anyhow. All I remember from the chancellor speech when I graduated first time round was that it was bloody long and looked suspiciously alcohol fuelled.

Could have been far worse, coulda asked that cock knocker tommy robinson since he does so much for the profile of the city

They hand over a rolled up scroll on a stage after you’ve been shafted for over 20 grand of student loans. :lol:

Hardly an ambassador for a city or town.

Still remember my first degree at Newcastle. We were told to go easy on the hand shakes of an ex mp who had to stand on stage for the 40 minutes of the graduation ceremony.

Back