Emeli Sandé new Chancellor of Sunderland Uni

another thread proving most on here would twist on 21...
Exactly this. The music industry has been a massive economic success for the UK and hopefully it will remain so. She was born in Sunderland, professes to have a strong connection to the place and will raise the profile of the University - she is a global success. The fact that Sunderland wants to develop itself as a Cultural Centre makes her appointment a really good one - I'd imagine we'll go for City of Culture again.

I think it is great news. Sunderland University seems to be going places at the moment and part of its success has to be linked to its popularity with young people. If the cynicism that you get on here is truly representative of Sunderland then this is one of the main things that will hold us back.

They were commercial operations even when they were subsidised

I'd like to thank Emeli for accepting the job and raising their profile

I don't have anything against it, I support anything that raises the profile of the city.

I just feel that the quality of lecturing, results and employability figures should raise the profile.

Exactly this. The music industry has been a massive economic success for the UK and hopefully it will remain so. She was born in Sunderland, professes to have a strong connection to the place and will raise the profile of the University - she is a global success. The fact that Sunderland wants to develop itself as a Cultural Centre makes her appointment a really good one - I'd imagine we'll go for City of Culture again.

I think it is great news. Sunderland University seems to be going places at the moment and part of its success has to be linked to its popularity with young people. If the cynicism that you get on here is truly representative of Sunderland then this is one of the main things that will hold us back.

Yet they still ask for staff to volunteer to take "voluntary severance", as they are well over budget on many levels and need some severe cost cutting. Staff wise, a considerable number of departments are on their knees following from the last staff cutting exercise. They are overworked, under pressure, yet they want/need to cut further. So... don't be so fooled by the spin, which suggests all is rosy.

I will say, whilst we are diversifying the business, exploring other areas (probably stealing the march on other/bigger Universities), we still do everything arse over tit, waste cash and allow internal politics to determine strategy... It's a frustrating organisation to work for sometimes, when you know you could improve something, but have to jump through hoops to get anywhere...

Anyhow, back to the new chancellor... I'm sure I read an article on here, where she slated Sunderland and stated that she would never return. I'm just concerned that the University have gone full steam ahead to appoint her, without doing the research on what she has potentially said about the city in the past. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite them on the arse.

Aye, I noticed that, according to that, there are a couple of dead Chancellors still chancelling at British universities.

Sir David Bell is our current Vice chancellor, Shirley left the post last year!

Yet they still ask for staff to volunteer to take "voluntary severance", as they are well over budget on many levels and need some severe cost cutting. Staff wise, a considerable number of departments are on their knees following from the last staff cutting exercise. They are overworked, under pressure, yet they want/need to cut further. So... don't be so fooled by the spin, which suggests all is rosy.

I will say, whilst we are diversifying the business, exploring other areas (probably stealing the march on other/bigger Universities), we still do everything arse over tit, waste cash and allow internal politics to determine strategy... It's a frustrating organisation to work for sometimes, when you know you could improve something, but have to jump through hoops to get anywhere...

Anyhow, back to the new chancellor... I'm sure I read an article on here, where she slated Sunderland and stated that she would never return. I'm just concerned that the University have gone full steam ahead to appoint her, without doing the research on what she has potentially said about the city in the past. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite them on the arse.

I work in FE and voluntary severance is a constant option. The problem seems to be that education is constantly trying to meet business needs and that is ever changing hence the constant restructuring - it is an ever present pressure that goes with the sector. From the outside Sunderland seems to be getting better and better at employer engagement - the SAM project seems to be absolutely brilliant. Obviously the new Medical School is a tremendous boost.

As for the Chancellor, Emili Sande seems a fantastic choice. Yes, it could come back to bite them but every single appointment these days is a risk due to intense media and social media. My main concern is that these days public cynicism is utterly stifling and I worry that Sunderland as a place is near the top of the cynicism tree. You can see why it is a cynical place but until it starts to be positive it will never progress. You can moan for ever, blaming all and sundry or you can get on, be positive and look to drive and support change. Many of the good things that happen in Sunderland seem to come from positive, altruistic people.

I work in FE and voluntary severance is a constant option. The problem seems to be that education is constantly trying to meet business needs and that is ever changing hence the constant restructuring - it is an ever present pressure that goes with the sector. From the outside Sunderland seems to be getting better and better at employer engagement - the SAM project seems to be absolutely brilliant. Obviously the new Medical School is a tremendous boost.

As for the Chancellor, Emili Sande seems a fantastic choice. Yes, it could come back to bite them but every single appointment these days is a risk due to intense media and social media. My main concern is that these days public cynicism is utterly stifling and I worry that Sunderland as a place is near the top of the cynicism tree. You can see why it is a cynical place but until it starts to be positive it will never progress. You can moan for ever, blaming all and sundry or you can get on, be positive and look to drive and support change. Many of the good things that happen in Sunderland seem to come from positive, altruistic people.

Agreed.

IMO, it's our illustrious council that should carry the responsibility of making people feel positive about Sunderland again, but they've just been an abject failure. The Vaux site (in particular) has been an area where they've had no plan (apart from their stupid models) and no desire to build us a bright new future. They've pulled the wool over our eyes, delivering a bridge (which I still don't know why we needed it), a square (and....?) and errrrrrrrm can;t think of owt else. They could easily help the University attract new business/opportunities if they would just get their fingers out of their arses, their snouts out of the trough and deliver for the city, instead of delivering token gesture projects and crowing about it for ever in a day.

Do you work there? I always did wonder if your username on here was from your username on the Uni network. Same format. Well it was back in the early noughties.

Do you work there? I always did wonder if your username on here was from your username on the Uni network. Same format. Well it was back in the early noughties.

Aye... I originally wanted to be BlueMerle, it wouldn't accept it though, so I opted for my work username thinking I could change it later... :lol: #schoolboyerror

Also, it's not form my current employer! They all usually have a similar format though.

Biggest selling album in the UK two years running, 7 times platinum, part of the opening and closing of the 2012 Olympic games, sang at the White House for the Obamas.

Not at all my cup of tea musically but calling her Z list is way off the mark - but utterly unsurprising given your history of doing down anything that happens in Sunderland.
No mate her parents slagged off Sunderland and if anything someone who has left Sunderland and done really well for herself gets to do talk ins and present awards to our best students. Great stuff.
I’m sure there is someone a lot more qualified who also promotes Sunderland and done well in and for the city.
Dare I say the op!!!!

This lad is an accomplished author
Locally educated
Knows the city
Does a lot for the community
And promotes us at every opportunity.

That’s the type of person who should be at the forefront of out uni.

you can see why the average council tax payer in sunlun won't understand who she was...

exactly...

which is? that putnam's appointment was totally different but in a pre-social media age every ignorant twunt kept their opinion for the pub bores...
You put the people of Sunderland down. That’s the problem with your lot you forget where your from and the people in it. We are not posh not highly educated (averages across the board) we are from an obese, undereducated, uncared for, poor, dirty, die young part of the country where children in our care system are neglected so I’m sorry to say until that changes keep your has been pop stars and z list celebs. Get real people who despite all this have done well. Like I said exactly like the op.

Didn't she moved when younger because everyone up here were racist and backward?
Yeah that’s her opening speech iirc.

Last edited:
No mate her parents slagged off Sunderland and if anything someone who has left Sunderland and done really well for herself gets to do talk ins and present awards to our best students. Great stuff.
I’m sure there is someone a lot more qualified who also promotes Sunderland and done well in and for the city.
Dare I say the op!!!!

This lad is an accomplished author
Locally educated
Knows the city
Does a lot for the community
And promotes us at every opportunity.

That’s the type of person who should be at the forefront of out uni.

You put the people of Sunderland down. That’s the problem with your lot you forget where your from and the people in it. We are not posh not highly educated (averages across the board) we are from an obese, undereducated, uncared for, poor, dirty, die young part of the country where children in our care system are neglected so I’m sorry to say until that changes keep your has been pop stars and z list celebs. Get real people who despite all this have done well. Like I said exactly like the op.
I think you are overplaying the role somewhat

Agreed.

IMO, it's our illustrious council that should carry the responsibility of making people feel positive about Sunderland again, but they've just been an abject failure. The Vaux site (in particular) has been an area where they've had no plan (apart from their stupid models) and no desire to build us a bright new future. They've pulled the wool over our eyes, delivering a bridge (which I still don't know why we needed it), a square (and....?) and errrrrrrrm can;t think of owt else. They could easily help the University attract new business/opportunities if they would just get their fingers out of their arses, their snouts out of the trough and deliver for the city, instead of delivering token gesture projects and crowing about it for ever in a day.
Totally agree - from the outside it appears that the University is doing its bit as is the Private Sector but the Council.................

Back