Embleton

And you really judge jack Ross judgement?
The players involved in the first team squad have probably been involved with professional clubs since they were 7-8 years of age. Throughout that time they have demonstrated to one coach after another that they can pass, tackle, shoot, head the ball to what was deemed to be an acceptable standard.

By the time they are in their 20s, no coach (including Ross) is going to impact greatly on the skill levels. They can set out a tactical plan and try to establish a style of play. However, once the players cross the touchline, the manager is dependent upon the players to carry out the plan and tactics.

I’m certain that Ross has never sent the team out with the instructions - “Now I want you to mishit several passes, miss a few tackles, don’t shoot very often and fail to control the ball whenever you like. Don’t bother with running around, nobody minds.”

Improving the players available within the squad for certain positions will enable the instructions regarding tactics to be better implemented.

Recently young players who are with us and sign contracts doesn't seem to work and the ones who leave seem to be the ones we wish to keep. Get some results and it becomes easier to hang on to your best players because if they are ambitious they will get game time. We cannot compete in a transfer market with players of proven ability so player development at the level we operate at needs to be utilised. We have some of the best facilities with the academy and stadium fit to compete with anything in Europe never mind the 3rd tier in England. I don't think Bob Murray had this in mind when he gave Sunderland the infrastructure to go on and compete against Bury,Tranmere and the likes, with all due respect to our 23 opponents this season AGAIN.

The players involved in the first team squad have probably been involved with professional clubs since they were 7-8 years of age. Throughout that time they have demonstrated to one coach after another that they can pass, tackle, shoot, head the ball to what was deemed to be an acceptable standard.

By the time they are in their 20s, no coach (including Ross) is going to impact greatly on the skill levels. They can set out a tactical plan and try to establish a style of play. However, once the players cross the touchline, the manager is dependent upon the players to carry out the plan and tactics.

I’m certain that Ross has never sent the team out with the instructions - “Now I want you to mishit several passes, miss a few tackles, don’t shoot very often and fail to control the ball whenever you like. Don’t bother with running around, nobody minds.”

Improving the players available within the squad for certain positions will enable the instructions regarding tactics to be better implemented.
Good post

Aye pushing the kids, sure sign we’re skint. I’ll get back later when I see the evidence,
Bloody Hell, is there anything the owners can do to make people happy?

Don't sign the youngsters and they get slated as we should be developing them
Sign the youngsters - Were skint
Send them out on loan - We should be playing them here
Put them in the senior squad - Were skint.

Some people are just miserable twats mate, let them get on with it

I’m looking forward to seeing how he does. I would start him against oxford

Me too - he’s got real quality this lad, very hopeful on him making a real difference for us

You have to laugh mate. What a miserable existence.

Bullshit - he can still pass on instructions from the touchline and influence the team.
Instructions don't make a tackle, or an interception, or a telling pass. Instructions don't get a player into position to defend or to present a team-mate with a passing option. Instructions are only as good as the person receiving them. If those receiving the instructions don't have the ability or the will to implement them, they are pointless. If we accept that by the time they get to first team football, the players should know the basics of the game and the tactics being used. Given that they know what to do, their failure to do so when faced with challenging opponents must surely be attributable to their comparatively limited abilities.

"Hey !! I want you to mark your opposite number so that they are ineffective !" - "Thanks for telling me ! I didn't know that"

"I want you to try and tackle further up the pitch and if it doesn't work, I want you to run back and try again !" - "Oh ! Is that what you do ? I didn't know"

"Get forward and have more shots on goal !" - Are we really allowed to do that ? I wish someone had mentioned this to me before, during my several years as a professional footballer. You telling me now, mid-game, is going to make all the difference"

All the touchline bluster and fist-clenching, eyes-bulging histrionics in the world won't produce a sudden dawning realisation on players. They either already know and can and do, or they already know, but can't and therefore don't.

It might be a theatrical demonstration of 'commitment' to be seen by the fans, but it's practical impact upon what is happening on the field of play is nil to negligible.

Win promotion would be a start. Very little changed from last year so, barring a miracle, it’s unlikely.

Last edited:
Instructions don't make a tackle, or an interception, or a telling pass. Instructions don't get a player into position to defend or to present a team-mate with a passing option. Instructions are only as good as the person receiving them. If those receiving the instructions don't have the ability or the will to implement them, they are pointless. If we accept that by the time they get to first team football, the players should know the basics of the game and the tactics being used. Given that they know what to do, their failure to do so when faced with challenging opponents must surely be attributable to their comparatively limited abilities.

"Hey !! I want you to mark your opposite number so that they are ineffective !" - "Thanks for telling me ! I didn't know that"

"I want you to try and tackle further up the pitch and if it doesn't work, I want you to run back and try again !" - "Oh ! Is that what you do ? I didn't know"

"Get forward and have more shots on goal !" - Are we really allowed to do that ? I wish someone had mentioned this to me before, during my several years as a professional footballer. You telling me now, mid-game, is going to make all the difference"

All the touchline bluster and fist-clenching, eyes-bulging histrionics in the world won't produce a sudden dawning realisation on players. They either already know and can and do, or they already know, but can't and therefore don't.

It might be a theatrical demonstration of 'commitment' to be seen by the fans, but it's practical impact upon what is happening on the field of play is nil to negligible.

Sounds like we can just bin having a manager and coaches and give ourselves a bit more wiggle room on wages to bring a new player in instead.

Practice set pieces? Nah mate. Completed them when I was 8.

WOW, a sensible post! well done !!!!

Back