Elvis Costello NDOYT

I liked Brutal Youth but apart from that, his output after King of America has been somewhat less than memorable.

I get the impression that he is feted for his longevity and influence on songwriting for others. His early body of work is, to my mind at least, certainly underrated and almost forgotten about apart from Magic FM playing Olivers Army.

The angst in I Want You constasts sharply with Accidents Will Happen. The obsession of loving someone far too much who doesn't feel the same, and expressing no remorse for letting a relationship fall apart because you didn't care, definitely resonated with parts of my life.

I'm glad I was about when he arrived on the scene and happier I went to a gig before his creativity began to tail off.

They go on sale on Friday, pre-sale from tomorrow. Depending upon how outrageous the ticket prices are, I may go to Blackpool.

Got my ticket, prices are outrageous £65 - £107 😳 . I got £75 in the stalls. Too much but I work around the corner from the Empire and when a genius comes to town...............

Have a listen to Chet Bakers version of Almost Blue, absolutely beautiful. The instrumental version obviously as Baker couldn’t sing for shit.

1/ Watching The Detectives
2/ Party Girl
3/ Motel Matches
4/ A Man Out Of Time
5/ Girls Talk
6/ Alison
7/ Almost Blue
8/ Pump It Up
9/ Talking In The Dark
10/ Tokyo Storm Warning
Mainly : 1,6,8

Saw him on an episode of Frasier the other day playing a chirpy cockney busker in their favourite Coffee shop. He was shite. Not worth £65 on that performance.

I'm not paying those prices. I saw him when he was cheap. £5 at Newcastle City Hall on 25/10/84 with The Pogues as the support.
Me too. Twas the day after the Ethiopia famine docu that inspired bandaid. There was a collection on in the bar and the barman wanted to hoy my change in. Ffs I needed it to get home.
Strange how I can remember that but not what I was doing back up north as I’d moved south the year before. It was a midweek gig iirc so I mustn’t have been up for a match.

I’m not paying those sort of prices for anyone.

There’s a thriving new band scene on atm and they can be seen for under a tenner in small venues anarl. The musics not much different to 60s and new wave lairy white boy guitar music except there’s a helluva lot of girls playing now. I’m auld enuff to be some of these bands grandfather but who cares? Not me.
Mind you The Roxy Girls are crap though but.

I’m not paying those sort of prices for anyone.

There’s a thriving new band scene on atm and they can be seen for under a tenner in small venues anarl. The musics not much different to 60s and new wave lairy white boy guitar music except there’s a helluva lot of girls playing now. I’m auld enuff to be some of these bands grandfather but who cares? Not me.
Mind you The Roxy Girls are crap though but.
I totally agree. I'm off to loads of gigs this Autumn and none of the tickets are over £20. I much prefer smaller, standing venues for gigs as well.

Back