Elvis Costello NDOYT

Anything he released up to 1986 as a start. Beyond that, Brutal Youth, All That Useless Beauty, North, Momofuku, Look Now (the new one), Painted From Memory (his Burt Bacharach collaboration), and Wise Up Ghost (his collaboration with The Roots).
Agree with the pre 86 remark apart from Punch The Clock and Goodbye Cruel World which imho were vastly inferior to everything he’d released until that point. Quality went downhill post King Of America and hasn’t improved since. There’s no way the young, hungry and snotty Costello of the 70s would’ve sanctioned the release of a lot of the self indulgent complacent half baked garbage that has been released since 86.
Happens to them all though.

Party Girl is a great track. Love Chemistry Class, even better.
I’ve got Armed Forces on reet now.

Last edited:
Horrible specky whiny get with a ridiculous transatlantic voice who jumped on the punk bandwagon saying all the old stuff was shit then scroll down a couple of decades when he’s made his pile and lo and behold there be is behind Roy Orbison brown-nosing the legend with the other celebs as if he always liked the old stuff and then inflicting himself on real musos in string quartets and whatnot who are probably bored shitless but need the money. Bloke’s an arsehole.

Horrible specky whiny get with a ridiculous transatlantic voice who jumped on the punk bandwagon saying all the old stuff was shit then scroll down a couple of decades when he’s made his pile and lo and behold there be is behind Roy Orbison brown-nosing the legend with the other celebs as if he always liked the old stuff and then inflicting himself on real musos in string quartets and whatnot who are probably bored shitless but need the money. Bloke’s an arsehole.
Are you not allowed to evolve your musical tastes through the years like?

Bet you still love clapping along to The Wheels on the Bus.

His 80s stuff suffered from 80s production at times.
His early stuff with the Attractions sounds superb
Maybe something to do with old Nick

There’s no way the young, hungry and snotty Costello of the 70s would’ve sanctioned the release of a lot of the self indulgent complacent half baked garbage that has been released since 86.
Don't sit on the fence mate. Just say what you feel

And another one:)

Last edited:
Haway then gobshite, what music do you listen too?

But do you like him or not...?

The best British/(Irish?) singer songwriter since Paul McCartney who can also arrange in a large variety of styles.

Yes not the best singing voice, but..
Agree with the pre 86 remark apart from [not Punch The Clock and] Goodbye Cruel World which imho were vastly inferior to everything he’d released until that point. Quality went downhill post King Of America and hasn’t improved since. There’s no way the young, hungry and snotty Costello of the 70s would’ve sanctioned the release of a lot of the self indulgent complacent half baked garbage that has been released since 86.

He's under-rated in the sense that he sold in large quantities in the 70s & 80's but he has been forgotten by the masses & until recently his albums could be found in the £1 bins in record shops (I know because I bought them all).

I’ve never liked him. Bought “ I don’t want to go to Chelsea” and liked it. Everything else I didn’t like. His voice and me don’t get along.
Oh and his image ....... the sweetest thing.

I am a fan and enjoyed the majority of his work up to and including Spike. After that I'm not too keen and the only track that I like on the new album is 'Under Lime'. Armed Forces is one of my favourite albums.

Agree with the pre 86 remark apart from Punch The Clock and Goodbye Cruel World which imho were vastly inferior to everything he’d released until that point. Quality went downhill post King Of America and hasn’t improved since. There’s no way the young, hungry and snotty Costello of the 70s would’ve sanctioned the release of a lot of the self indulgent complacent half baked garbage that has been released since 86.

I’ve got Armed Forces on reet now.
I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned Spike?
Quiz question.
Which band backed him on My Aim Is True and which member of this band went on to have chart hits?

Back