Elite Dangerous

A little bit more in-depth from Obsidian Ant:

I'm really looking forward to this for one reason: BGS combat. I'm sick to death of fighting in CZs to expand our faction in systems with only outposts to dock at. This usually means flying into the system in a small or medium ship to dock at the outpost and pick up a massacre mission only to have to jump back out to another system to switch into a Vette. Then having to jump back to the expansion system, fly all the way to the CZ, kill everything then jump back out of the system, switch back to a smaller ship, jump back into the expansion system, dock at the outpost and cash in the mission.

Now I can just park a Fleet Carrier in the expansion system and use that. 😎
If you're worried about the cost of the Fleet Carriers you might want to start mining. This is a really useful video.

You can use this resource to find hotspots near you: Miner's Tool

Last edited:
Where the hell did you find that much painite? :eek:
Click on the Miners Tool link in post #1764 to find a double hotspot near where you are. ;)
@Pseudonym Number 1

You're going to hate me! I'm using the same techniques in an LTD hotspot and hoovering them up as fast as I was the Painite yesterday. 😎

The trick is to ignore all the know-nowt wanksplats online who say they can spot an asteroid containing particular minerals by their colour or intensity.

I just fly to every glowing rock and prospect it. About half of them contain LTDs (or whatever mineral hotspot you're in at the time) which can be mined using lasers or lances.
256 LTDs in the hold and 10 bins full as well so 266 in total. 😍
Plus the 10t in the bins = 317.5M Credits. :D

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
spotting by colour & shape relates to deep core mining ie void opals or LTD.

Doesn't apply to surface stuff for painite and surface diamonds

Last edited:
spotting by colour & shape relates to deep core mining ie void opals or LTD.

Doesn't apply to surface stuff for painite and surface diamonds
But that's my point. One of our squadron members was mining the same LTD triple overlapping hotspot that I was and it took him over 2 hours to find 30 LTDs because he had been assured by 'experts' online that he had to look out for the bright yellow with deep red striation asteroids as they were the only ones worth mining. He was ignoring everything else.

I, on the other hand, spent 5 hours prospecting every glowing rock and even mining ones with only 5% LTD content and came out with 266. I had almost four times the productivity he had and spent far less time bored out of my mind. :)
(Some of the non deep core asteroids had up to 40% LTD content btw!)

Last edited:
Good miner build anyone? I've just put the game back on for first time in ages. I've got about 150mil creds and fancy the Krait for mining?

Good miner build anyone? I've just put the game back on for first time in ages. I've got about 150mil creds and fancy the Krait for mining?
My Python

My Anaconda

My T9

150M and you should be able to afford this:

Krait MkII Miner

which will earn you enough money after a few trips to build a bigger miner and really start earning dosh fast!

And as I mentioned in an earlier post use this to find the best hotspots and markets: Miner's Tool

Last edited:
My Python

My Anaconda

My T9

150M and you should be able to afford this:

Krait MkII Miner

which will earn you enough money after a few trips to build a bigger miner and really start earning dosh fast!

And as I mentioned in an earlier post use this to find the best hotspots and markets: Miner's Tool
I've already got an Annie (playing on my Xbox account ATM) is it worth just retrofitting?

Probably should have asked earlier cos I've just bought the Krait.

I've already got an Annie (playing on my Xbox account ATM) is it worth just retrofitting?

Probably should have asked earlier cos I've just bought the Krait.
If you fit the Krait out you only need to do two runs bringing back 128t of LTDs to afford the Anaconda build.

Of my 3 mining ships the only one I feel confident taking out is the Conda. It has the hardpoints which enable it to shit on pirates.

What I normally do though is take out the T9 from a station close to the system where the hotspot is, fill her up and then go back and transfer the 512t into this which can take the loot the hundreds of light years to the best buying station without worrying about pirates interdicting me.

Fleet carriers you say? Actually making money from mining you say?

well that’s enough to get me to load it up for the first time in over a year. Mind I was like Lee Camp on the Xbox controller first time I was jumped in my annie. Got my arse well and truly handed to me.

what else have I missed this last year then?

The Fleet Carriers won't be around until the December update - which I think is why mining has suddenly become more lucrative (by far and away an easier way to make money than any of the 'exploits' you may have used in the past) because the FCs are rumoured to cost billions of credits just for the vanilla version without any of the support ships needed for specific activities or modules.

I bought and equipped a mining Anaconda and made 80% of the purchase price on its maiden voyage. Since then I've added over 8 billion credits. It would have been more but I've been running around like a blue arsed fly the last couple of weeks doing CZ missions for my faction.

Logon or register to see this image

You'll need this essential tool to find the best mining sites near you: Miner's Tool

Don't bother with Void Opals, they're not as lucrative as people make out. Stick to either double Painite hotspots ot triple Low Temp Diamond hotspots. Ignore the glowing asteroids and target everything with prospector limpets and you'll be laughing.

Back