Elite Dangerous

The biggest gripe I've always had with FDev is that they never explain how you actually do something. I had to go to the forums to find out how to get the new FSS to work and I stupidly equipped a T9 with all the new mining gear and went out to a ring system - came back 15 minutes later after firing sub-surface charges etc to no avail and wishing I'd never bothered.
Yeah I know it's like it's too difficult to give us some kind of clue as to how it works. Probably spend as much time reading and watching videos on YouTube as actually playing the game.

At least they didn't change the combat around so after I tried to scan a system and a planet and couldn't get it to work I just shot some shit for half an hour and turned it off.

Been back on it this week.

Trying to make a luxury taxi out of a Krait Phantom.

What a chew on getting the Guardian FSD booster. Not quite finished the engineering but I'm over the 65LY mark.

One day this is the dream

Coriolis EDCD Edition

Need to take a breather then get into mining. Opals are where its at apparently.

Yeah I know it's like it's too difficult to give us some kind of clue as to how it works. Probably spend as much time reading and watching videos on YouTube as actually playing the game.

At least they didn't change the combat around so after I tried to scan a system and a planet and couldn't get it to work I just shot some shit for half an hour and turned it off.
The FSS only works in supercruise and even then you have to have throttle set to zero. And you have to switch modes between combat (normal) and scanning - total pain in the arse when you drop into a system, switch to scanning mode and then get jumped and interdicted and forget to switch back to combat mode. And don't get me started about 'tuning' the FSS. :evil:

The FSS only works in supercruise and even then you have to have throttle set to zero. And you have to switch modes between combat (normal) and scanning - total pain in the arse when you drop into a system, switch to scanning mode and then get jumped and interdicted and forget to switch back to combat mode. And don't get me started about 'tuning' the FSS. :evil:
Fss = full system scan?
Wouldn't be to bad you can come to a halt while scooping.

I assigned the new scanner to a trigger but kept getting told to switch cockpit mode or something, couldn't figure it out.

Might wait a week or two till obsidian ant puts up a video on the changes and how to play now.

Fss = full system scan?

I assigned the new scanner to a trigger but kept getting told to switch cockpit mode or something, couldn't figure it out.

Might wait a week or two till obsidian ant puts up a video on the changes and how to play now.
Yeah on PC you need to press the M key to go into scan mode which will then let you honk as before and you then press the ' key to enter tuned scanning for different objects. Like I said, it makes finding HGSSs a lot easier but thats the only benefit unless you're into exploring.

Fss = full system scan?

Here you go:

Something worth noting which ObsAnt seems to just breeze over and is what fucked me up initially is that if you are using a custom key-bind for whatever controller you have then none of the FSS binds will appear in it.

I started using a custom bind and tried adding the FSS keys but got totally and utterly confused as to what the fuck I was supposed to be doing. Better to revert to the supplied key-bind for your controller (which has the FSS binds included) and then work backwards adding all your own old custom binds. Total fart-on but actually the quickest way of doing it.

What a chew on getting the Guardian FSD booster. Not quite finished the engineering but I'm over the 65LY mark.

Coriolis EDCD Edition

Need to take a breather then get into mining. Opals are where its at apparently.
Nope! Thieving Low Temperature Diamonds and selling them at the right black market is where its at!

This is my haul after about 1.5 hours of piracy. :cool:

Logon or register to see this image

Coriolis EDCD Edition

Did some eansy-weansy, tiny tweaks to your Phantom set up (but you did forget to add a Detailed Surface scanner ;) ) and came up with this:

Coriolis EDCD Edition

I've got a Phantom sitting doing nothing at Shinrarta so I even worked out all the materials needed. I might actually build this myself! :cool:

Last edited:
Nope! Thieving Low Temperature Diamonds and selling them at the right black market is where its at!

This is my haul after about 1.5 hours of piracy. :cool:

Did some eansy-weansy, tiny tweaks to your Phantom set up (but you did forget to add a Detailed Surface scanner ;) ) and came up with this:

Coriolis EDCD Edition

I've got a Phantom sitting doing nothing at Shinrarta so I even worked out all the materials needed. I might actually build this myself! :cool:

Yeah I'll probably use that blueprint anarl.

More expensive than the Diamondback but far more refined with a few extra slots to play with.

No accounting for taste but I've painted mine white turning it into a Millennium Falcon clone :cool:

Last edited:
Wouldnt mind getting back into this but I really cant be bothered setting myflight stick up again.

I think it would look awesome on my new gpuand monitor

Wouldnt mind getting back into this but I really cant be bothered setting myflight stick up again.

I think it would look awesome on my new gpuand monitor
There's a new bug appeared with 3.3 in that people using XBox controllers or mouse+keyboard are finding they are locking up and becoming unresponsive.

I've had to ditch my controller and set up a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. It's taken me friggin' ages to re-map all the buttons (still not finished) but the worst part is trying to un-learn the muscle memory built up over the past 3 years playing with the Xbox controller. :cry:

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this that I'm in the process of getting the money/mats for. Its primary use would be as an anti-PvP ship.

I've never really been into PvP since I got my arse handed to me on a plate when I bought my first ever Conda but a few weeks ago I got a cry for help from my squadron. When I got there they were all getting the shit kicked out of their Vettes and Cutters by a group of PvPers in much smaller ships. I lost 286M in re-buys before I quit and ran!

It seemed to me the PVPers had 2 things going for them: they were using experimentals to fuck with our internal modules and they were constantly causing us to lose lock on their ships.

So to counter these I've thought about using Module Reinforcements to protect the internals, as big a shield as possible, Emissive/rapid-fire multicannons to increase ability to lock onto them and the equivalent firepower of 44 Fixed/Medium frag cannons all going off at once right in their cheesy little faces. :cool:

Any advice is welcome.

Coriolis EDCD Edition

Oops! Wrong one. Try this instead:

Coriolis EDCD Edition

Last edited:
There's a new bug appeared with 3.3 in that people using XBox controllers or mouse+keyboard are finding they are locking up and becoming unresponsive.

I've had to ditch my controller and set up a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. It's taken me friggin' ages to re-map all the buttons (still not finished) but the worst part is trying to un-learn the muscle memory built up over the past 3 years playing with the Xbox controller. :cry:

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this that I'm in the process of getting the money/mats for. Its primary use would be as an anti-PvP ship.

I've never really been into PvP since I got my arse handed to me on a plate when I bought my first ever Conda but a few weeks ago I got a cry for help from my squadron. When I got there they were all getting the shit kicked out of their Vettes and Cutters by a group of PvPers in much smaller ships. I lost 286M in re-buys before I quit and ran!

It seemed to me the PVPers had 2 things going for them: they were using experimentals to fuck with our internal modules and they were constantly causing us to lose lock on their ships.

So to counter these I've thought about using Module Reinforcements to protect the internals, as big a shield as possible, Emissive/rapid-fire multicannons to increase ability to lock onto them and the equivalent firepower of 44 Fixed/Medium frag cannons all going off at once right in their cheesy little faces. :cool:

Any advice is welcome.

Coriolis EDCD Edition

Oops! Wrong one. Try this instead:

Coriolis EDCD Edition

No idea but I saw this a while back

Weiterleitungshinweis

No idea but I saw this a while back

Weiterleitungshinweis
Thanks, there's some really good advice in that although it's more aimed at being the bad guy. I was trying for a build which could defend itself against the PvPers but after reading it I've switched the weps to this:

Coriolis EDCD Edition

Not very happy with the 2 Cytoscramblers as they seem wasted in Medium slots and the jitter is abysmal considering they're engineered for long range! I may switch them out for 2 more Imperial Hammers. I didn't realise that they can be really effective at long range rather than short so again, thanks for that link.

The game was being a bit weird yesterday.

When I was fighting pirates they kept trying to strafe me but they would crash into the nose of my anaconda, where I could do keepy uppys blasting away at them.

Then when I was doing some assassination missions, one of them was a rank up mission. It gave me the target body lhs71 but said i needed to go scan the noav beacon in lp 30-55.

The target was a mamba which took some finding, but as soon as I got near he took off and could I hell catch up. He was flying circles around me taunting me and sending messages saying he was sorry they made him do it and he wouldnt kill again. My m8 had to go get a interdictor and pull him out for me.

After I eventually killed that guy another 3 missions I didnt accept appeared in my transactions pannel.

The game was being a bit weird yesterday.

When I was fighting pirates they kept trying to strafe me but they would crash into the nose of my anaconda, where I could do keepy uppys blasting away at them.

Then when I was doing some assassination missions, one of them was a rank up mission. It gave me the target body lhs71 but said i needed to go scan the noav beacon in lp 30-55.

The target was a mamba which took some finding, but as soon as I got near he took off and could I hell catch up. He was flying circles around me taunting me and sending messages saying he was sorry they made him do it and he wouldnt kill again. My m8 had to go get a interdictor and pull him out for me.

After I eventually killed that guy another 3 missions I didnt accept appeared in my transactions pannel.
They do appear to have changed the mechanics of NPC combat. since 3.3. Their prefered tactic does seem to be to try to ram you at high speed. Its a bit stupid when I'm sitting in a shield-tanked Cutter and they try to ram me in a Viper. I just watch them bounce of me, taking out all of their own shields and 80% of their own hull and them blast them to vapour with one shot. :lol:

I haven't seen the bug of randomly appearing missions before! Have you reported it on PC Bug Reports or opened a ticket with their tech support team?

One major bug I did find with assassination missions is if you jump into a system and find your target in a Signal Source and kill him then it doesn't register as a kill and he stays there when you go back to supercruise. I killed the same politician 5 times in a row and he still wouldn't die! :evil: Also, after my nav scanner showed me my target was supposed to be in a Signal Source, he appeared zooming around in supercruise at the same time!

Back