Elite Dangerous

Just became a Knight of the Empire. Can I get any decent imperial ships now?

Also is it worth pledging allegiance to the Empire? I'm still a recruit with the other faction. Don't know if it's worth it, do I get anything out of it, do the others become hostile etc etc...
Nope. You've still got Lord and then Baron to go before you get access to a Clipper. Then Viscount > Count > Earl > Marquis > Duke to get access to a Cutter.

I've never bothered with power play after very early in the game. I really didn't know what it was all about and wandered blindly into enemy territory. That was fun! (They've changed it now so you only get attacked if you're on a mission.)

The only real benefit to PP is maybe getting the jazzed-up weapons but by all accounts they're not really worth the grief or the grind.

Nope. You've still got Lord and then Baron to go before you get access to a Clipper. Then Viscount > Count > Earl > Marquis > Duke to get access to a Cutter.

I've never bothered with power play after very early in the game. I really didn't know what it was all about and wandered blindly into enemy territory. That was fun! (They've changed it now so you only get attacked if you're on a mission.)

The only real benefit to PP is maybe getting the jazzed-up weapons but by all accounts they're not really worth the grief or the grind.
Cheers, seems like I've still got a hell of a grind in front of me.

Shame they don't give you a small reward on rank up like a paint job or ship part or well anything really.

Last edited:
Cheers, seems like I've still got a hell of a grind in front of me.

Shame they don't give you a small reward on rank up like a paint job or ship part or well anything really.
Yeah, like rank insignia. It does sometimes feel like you're slogging your guts out to finish one rank only so you can start slogging your guts out for another.

And now I can have a rest! :D

Logon or register to see this image

I've only gone and made triple Elite now! :cool:

Last edited:
Yeah, like rank insignia. It does sometimes feel like you're slogging your guts out to finish one rank only so you can start slogging your guts out for another.

And now I can have a rest! :D

I've only gone and made triple Elite now! :cool:

Get in yer fucker :cool::cool:

Back home from work again, so hopefully get a few hours in this weekend

I bought this game months ago but couldn't get into it, however cause i loved the original so much decided to give it another crack. Ah the memories, I'm now Peddlar ranked and having a blast.

I have noticed that even when playing on open world sitting I am not encountering any other players, not that it seems to make any difference like.

I bought this game months ago but couldn't get into it, however cause i loved the original so much decided to give it another crack. Ah the memories, I'm now Peddlar ranked and having a blast.

I have noticed that even when playing on open world sitting I am not encountering any other players, not that it seems to make any difference like.
If you're in Open stay away from the Community Goals. Thats where the griefers hang out.

Are you on PC or console?

If you're in Open stay away from the Community Goals. Thats where the griefers hang out.

Are you on PC or console?

I bought the game upon release on the PS4 but really struggled with the controls and interface, I played the original on the BBC computer.

As i understand it Community Goals make the big payouts? But ive not got to the stage of looking at those possibilities.

I bought the game upon release on the PS4 but really struggled with the controls and interface, I played the original on the BBC computer.

As i understand it Community Goals make the big payouts? But ive not got to the stage of looking at those possibilities.
The BBC Micro? You must be as old as me! :lol:

The CGs only give 'big' payouts when you're starting out. Going backwards and forwards to the same station for a week gets old really quick. You can still do them in Solo, though.

A faster way to earn mega-creds is to ask @Ambivalent Squirrel to gift you some high-value cargo. He's on PS4 and has credits to burn. I'd do the same but I'm on PC. ;)

Honestly the pay from CG isn't that great. You can make more per hour doing other stuff, unless you grind to the top 10%

The CGs only give 'big' payouts when you're starting out. Going backwards and forwards to the same station for a week gets old really quick. You can still do them in Solo, though.

A faster way to earn mega-creds is to ask @Ambivalent Squirrel to gift you some high-value cargo. He's on PS4 and has credits to burn. I'd do the same but I'm on PC. ;)

Ha, ha, Aye yes the BBC model B, the game used to take 30 mins to load up on baud 1200. Aye am knocking on like.

I think i'm going to start off as a trader, I've bought a cobra, added some cargo space and picking up missing from the stations.

the cg missions are taking place at electra, thats too far away for me.

Honestly the pay from CG isn't that great. You can make more per hour doing other stuff, unless you grind to the top 10%

I think i will give them a miss for now, i watched a vid of Obsidian Ant and he was making millions but they are a big investment time wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, ha, Aye yes the BBC model B, the game used to take 30 mins to load up on baud 1200. Aye am knocking on like.

I think i'm going to start off as a trader, I've bought a cobra, added some cargo space and picking up missing from the stations.

data missions are your friend early game before you get a ship with more cargo space - gets your rep up and easy money. I’ve been around since back in the day, wasn’t posh enough to have a BBC, you posh twat, so I cut my teeth on the spectrum version :)

data missions are your friend early game before you get a ship with more cargo space - gets your rep up and easy money. I’ve been around since back in the day, wasn’t posh enough to have a BBC, you posh twat, so I cut my teeth on the spectrum version :)

Ha, Aye, me mam worked her fingers to the bone to pay for it. It was a very good computer like, not as iconic as the 48k spectrum like. Elite must have taken an hour to load for ya!

I think i will give them a miss for now, i watched a vid of Obsidian Ant and he was making millions but they are a big investment time wise.
Try to stay based in one system. The more rep you earn with the local factions the higher paying missions they will offer you..

Try to stay based in one system. The more rep you earn with the local factions the higher paying missions they will offer you..

Yes i have been trading with Hm Bootis and my rep has increased with them. I tried bounties as well to switch it up a bit, compact was far easier with a joystick and keyboard rather then a pad.

Yes i have been trading with Hm Bootis and my rep has increased with them. I tried bounties as well to switch it up a bit, compact was far easier with a joystick and keyboard rather then a pad.
Funny, I'm on PC and have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick but can't get away with it so just use a USB XBox 360 gamepad.

Haha. No such luck, I'm on xbone not ps4

Haha. No such luck, I'm on xbone not ps4
Damn! I'll have to go back through the thread and find someone else to volunteer. :lol:

I did gift a friend on PC ages ago to get him started. CMDR Ecaftnuc (read it backwards!) was in a Sidewinder and was having a bit bother getting started so I took my Python out and came back with 100t of beryllium. Dumped the lot 9km outside a station and he ferried backwards and forwards cashing it in. After doing all that he came out of the station with a brand new Cobra mkIII and thought it was funny to try ramming my ship. I thought it was funnier when I shot him and blew him away. :lol:

Last edited:
Damn! I'll have to go back through the thread and find someone else to volunteer. :lol:

I did gift a friend on PC ages ago to get him started. CMDR Ecaftnuc (read it backwards!) was in a Sidewinder and was having a bit bother getting started so I took my Python out and came back with 100t of beryllium. Dumped the lot 9km outside a station and he ferried backwards and forwards cashing it in. After doing all that he came out of the station with a brand new Cobra mkIII and thought it was funny to try ramming my ship. I thought it was funnier when I shot him and blew him away. :lol:
Thats gratitude for you. :lol:

I tried picking up cargo cannisters after a battle had seen a large ship destroyed only to have them bounce of me hull no matter how careful approach. I thought you musnt be able to collect 'booty' in this game. Then, later I landed on a planet for the first time, had a fiddle about trying to get the srv I didnt have, out of the cargo hold. When it came to taking off again I couldnt because me cargo bay was open, it was then i had my eureka moment, that i must have to open the cargo bay doors in order to scoop up booty.

Dim of me I know but Ive not had the opportuniy to get back on and test my theory yet!

Back