Electronic parts/soldering

Anyone on here clued up on this? The USB port in my dashcam has broken. I need to either repair it or replace it. I can’t find a replacement part on the Internet, probably because I don’t know exactly what this is.

Any idea what exactly this is and where to get a replacement, or if not, is it repairable?

Don’t fancy £80 for a new dashcam when this is the only broken part!

Logon or register to see this image

Just looks like a USB port maybe with a couple of diodes on it. I'm guessing it's USB C (the type where the connector can be plugged in either way).

Is it USB C?

Just looks like a USB port maybe with a couple of diodes on it. I'm guessing it's USB C (the type where the connector can be plugged in either way).

Is it USB C?

Regular micro USB I think
Have you removed that board from the device m?
If easily replaced just pop the serial number into e bay and buy a new board for about £2

Yeah that’s the board that was in the device. Tried Googling the serial number but no results. I’ll give eBay a go.

I have no experience soldering or working with parts like this, but I’d give it a go if it looked repairable, assuming I buy another USB port to fix onto the board?

If it is a C-Type USB then this will probably do the trick:

If it's any other sort of USB connector then try these:

If it is a C-Type USB then this will probably do the trick:

If it's any other sort of USB connector then try these:

Cheers, I’ll take a look.

The board connects micro USB to a ribbon, with “J1” on it, but I can’t find anything like that online either

Is it USB C?
Not enough connections for C, probable just a micro 'USB. They are quite tricky to replace unless you have the right tools. Mobile phone repairer will have the right bis if you can source the part. Have a look here

It was actually the heat in the car which fucked it. Caused the adhesive to melt, so the camera fell off the windscreen, which ripped the USB cable out and pulled the port off the board
Not enough connections for C, probable just a micro 'USB. They are quite tricky to replace unless you have the right tools. Mobile phone repairer will have the right bis if you can source the part. Have a look here

Can the port itself be soldered onto the board? I don’t know if it’s too damaged

Didn’t think about phone repairers, guess they wouldn’t have the exact board I need but may be able to do the repair?

Last edited:
Regular micro USB I think

I actually have some micro USB ones although the board is a fraction the size of that one. You'd likely need to epoxy the board onto something else with the same form factor.

Alternatively, you could just buy a micro-usb extension cable; cut the male end off and solder the wires onto your dashcam where the connector on that board goes. It'll look a bit "heath robinson" but is probably the easiest frig.

Agreed... it was the little surface mount components that threw me.

Last edited:
I actually have some micro USB ones although the board is a fraction the size of that one. You'd likely need to epoxy the board onto something else with the same form factor.

Alternatively, you could just buy a micro-usb extension cable; cut the male end off and solder the wires onto your dashcam where the connector on that board goes. It'll look a bit "heath robinson" but is probably the easiest frig.

Agreed... it was the little surface mount components that threw me.

Cheers!

Back