Electricity Bill Hike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough, the lad I know, replaced a working kettle because he saw how much it made his smart meter go up. Knacker would stand there making several single cups at a time when we were round. :lol:

Capping costs would probably lead to increases for the more savvy.
I'm the only one in the house that uses it the wife only drinks tea with a bacon sandwich on a Saturday. Mam has got one also cos dad has Parkinson's and it's simple to use for him just a button to press as he struggles to fill a kettle

I'm the only one in the house that uses it the wife only drinks tea with a bacon sandwich on a Saturday. Mam has got one also cos dad has Parkinson's and it's simple to use for him just a button to press as he struggles to fill a kettle

They can be handy and will use less energy, unlikely to save anyone any money though when purchase costs are taken into account. Obviously worth the cost for you and especially your dad.

Live on my own - never put the heating on to be fair
Similar to me and I'm out all day at work, but I have the under floor heating on 24/7 at 18 degrees (room temp) from November to April. Put the low cost (£29pm) down to the heat pump, which also does the hot water.

Our quarterly bills are based on our smart meter readings but the DD amount was set before we got the SM in and we had just moved into this house. Prior to our moving in on Dec 1 last year the house had been empty for a couple of months and it was as cold as a crypt, so we put the heating on full blast for three days prior to us moving in. Also we had the gas fire (artificial coal fire type) running all Xmas Day and Boxing Day. When our first meter readings were taken the gas consumption had naturally been massive due to that initial high usage and of course the fact that it was midwinter. So British Gas had a skewed view of our realistic normal usage which is why the DD is so high. I'm not worried about it as I presume at the end of the first year they will review the DD and refund us any credit. I'm not going to get into a world of callcentre hassle trying to get a refund now, when in a couple of months it should happen naturally. If it doesn't, then I'll get into the hassle.

that explains it

They're about 2kw usually iirc. So closer to half that price, regardless though, they're on for about a minute at a time.

It costs about half a penny to boil the kettle.

You either don't use much or you're building up a debt.
They are definetly not half that on a p/hr basis. Normally about 30-35p/hr and sometimes as high as 50p

Fixed price deal up at the end of November.

Just signed an 18 month fixed price deal with Green Network Energy for £48/month Dual Fuel

They were 2nd cheapest that came up, cheapest had awful Customer Service reviews (can't remember who they were now!)
My Scottish power online fixed is up at the end of November. Currently 70 quid a month for annual use of 14000 kWh of gas and 3000 of leccy.

On uswitch I found eon to be the cheapest equivalent at 75 quid a month, I assume that wholesale prices are rising.

I’ve given up trying to save on gas water and leccy around our house as it’s going to cost less than a divorce.

Ah. Maybe mine is more. Either way, it's largely irrelevant as it costs next to nothing.
Yeah it is only a few pence in reality. I fit smart meters so it’s a quick and easy way to show how the device works hence I know how much kettles normally are! The big killers are electric fires and heaters. Generally cheaper to heat your whole house on gas than one room on electric.

Yeah it is only a few pence in reality. I fit smart meters so it’s a quick and easy way to show how the device works hence I know how much kettles normally are! The big killers are electric fires and heaters. Generally cheaper to heat your whole house on gas than one room on electric.
Do you work for Lowri Beck?

My Scottish power online fixed is up at the end of November. Currently 70 quid a month for annual use of 14000 kWh of gas and 3000 of leccy.

On uswitch I found eon to be the cheapest equivalent at 75 quid a month, I assume that wholesale prices are rising.

I’ve given up trying to save on gas water and leccy around our house as it’s going to cost less than a divorce.
That's pretty much the same as my estimated usage and mine was £71 I think.

That's pretty much the same as my estimated usage and mine was £71 I think.
I had a look at money supermarket and it hoyed up eon again at 70-75 quid.

I’m still going to strangle the wife and kids, they put the heating on then leave doors open when people visit. Baths instead of showers. Waste waste waste and titface here has to pay the bills!

Some of those northern Scottish meters (THTC/SHC) charge over 20p kwh for peak hour units. They are offset at peak times at about 10p a unit, but even a standard single rate cost in England is about 12p atm.

Some of those northern Scottish meters (THTC/SHC) charge over 20p kwh for peak hour units. They are offset at peak times at about 10p a unit, but even a standard single rate cost in England is about 12p atm.
Think there was a big fuck up with them north of the border too where all the times were out of whack as well. I’m more on about old dears who think leaving the boiler off and having an electric heater in the front room will be cheaper.

Good job the Marxist mother Theresa is stepping in to cap certain tarriffs.

Unfortunately I`m with NPower but not for much longer.

I wasn`t on a special deal that came to an end. I was in credit by £75 after the last bill so it`s not a rebalancing after a meter reading. In fact I`ve had meter readings rather than estimates the last few times.
I just don`t understand how it can go up so much over the summer. we`ve certainly not been doing anything any different to any other time over the last few years.

tried to phone NPower for an explanation but was in a queue of at least 40 minutes.

Unfortunately I`m with NPower but not for much longer.

I wasn`t on a special deal that came to an end. I was in credit by £75 after the last bill so it`s not a rebalancing after a meter reading. In fact I`ve had meter readings rather than estimates the last few times.
I just don`t understand how it can go up so much over the summer. we`ve certainly not been doing anything any different to any other time over the last few years.

tried to phone NPower for an explanation but was in a queue of at least 40 minutes.
I used to work in DD for an energy firm, and the price is supposed to balance out over a 12 month period, ie you pay a bit more in the summer, to cover expected higher winter use.

I don't know when you joined this company but sometimes a period longer than 12 months is used as companies have a thing called a balancing month.

Eg if you joined in January, your first year would a 15 month projection as the balancing month is usually April.

For the next year, it would be calculated on a 12 month April to April period.

It's similar if you join a firm after April, so your first year would be calculated to a lesser extent.

Over 17 years since I did this sort of by the thousand.

Still have to help the advisors in call centres when they bluff their way to an explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back