Electricity Bill Hike

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickb2112

Striker
Just had my half yearly electricity bill in and it`s jumped from £88 a month to bloody £146 a month. That`s from meter readings too not estimates.

That`s for over the summer period too. We haven`t been using our electricity any more than usual. That`s a pretty hefty hike.

has anyone else seen rises like this? Is £146 excessive or reasonable for a bog standard house.

Maybe it`s time I switched provider. Any suggestions??

Get on USwitch and move elsewhere. I've found Octopus Energy the best of a bad bunch. Avoid nPower and Scottish Power like the plague!

Never heard of Mr. Hike - shall I take one?

Just had my half yearly electricity bill in and it`s jumped from £88 a month to bloody £146 a month. That`s from meter readings too not estimates.

That`s for over the summer period too. We haven`t been using our electricity any more than usual. That`s a pretty hefty hike.

has anyone else seen rises like this? Is £146 excessive or reasonable for a bog standard house.

Tell your lass to use a battery powered vibrator instead.

I got my letter on Saturday saying if I use the same amout of electricity in the next 12 months it's going to cost £176 more.

Is that your usage or your monthly direct debit? Our usage is about £100 per month for dual fuel with British Gas but they've set the direct debit at £243 per month "in order to cover the increase usage in winter". I'm going to wait and see how it pans out but right now we're about £800 in credit!

Check that the meter on your bill is the same serial number as in your property.

They get mixed up and you pay someone elses usage.

Or, has either of the meters been exchanged recently?

Lots of reasons it could have jumped so much and impossible to answer without all the info.

My number 1 guess is you're now paying for increased usage and paying an outstanding balance off with the increased payments (they'd rather they owe you than the other way round).

Even in that scenario over £100 a month usage is steep, you must be using north of 7000kw per year!

Another possibility, have previous bills been estimated? This large bill now is a catch up through under estimation. Perhaps

What type of meter do you have? If you have an older dial meter it could have been read wrong. Check the reading on your bill against your current reading.

its no secret that electricity and gas prices have been rising recently. maybee your deal is ending and you are going on the svr. shop around, change via quidco, i do it every 12 months.

Electric prices have gone up a lot but that does sound high for a normal house.

Have a look through your old bills and work out your actual annual use in kilowatt hours. Then join this website: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

They'll do a comparison and tell you the cheapest supplier for your circumstances. They'll then monitor it and will email you if they find something cheaper to switch to, or when you deal ends and you need to shop around for a new one. It's completely free to use and some suppliers pay cashback after switching.

I've just switched over to OVO energy from British Gas. Saving over £400 a year on a fixed duel fuel tariff for 2 years. £136 month.

Surely you must have an idea of why it's gone up? They tell you your usage. Has it gone up? Have you changed her tarrifs? If you're note stuck in a contract, go to uswitch, tell them your readings and pick who is cheapest regardless of who it is (and get paid for switching too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back