Electric scooters

They're illegal to use on the road or pavement.

Have you packed in cycling?
No just looking at alternatives. Also we are looking at moving out so might be handy as a station runner. I think the laws will be changing fwiw

If you start at 0630 what time are you putting your kids in childcare?
The elder usually gets there at 0830 but that's largely irrelevant for this conversation.

Last edited:
Brilliant toys I love em. They are everywhere over here in China, extremely handy for under 350 quid. You can get 45kmh easily on the scooter version. Handy for shopping. Only need charging every other day or so if the terrain is flat. I'm surprised they haven't taken off over in the UK yet.
Thank you

I'm not going to pick her up as a sweaty mess or buy a seat for a racing bike. Anyway if you have nothing more to add kindly piss off
Well it just seems to me that cycling is the best answer for this. If you are a sweaty mess after such a short distance I can only urge that you absolutely need the exercise.

If you want to buy a silly toy just do it.

If you get upset by advice on such a silly subject maybe you should be the one to refrain from posting.

I'm having a lovely time.

Well it just seems to me that cycling is the best answer for this. If you are a sweaty mess after such a short distance I can only urge that you absolutely need the exercise.

If you want to buy a silly toy just do it.

If you get upset by advice on such a silly subject maybe you should be the one to refrain from posting.

I'm having a lovely time.
If you think cycling is best you'd be wrong but you won't be told that. I also didn't ask for advice on how to commute either but you've barged in again as usual. Let's not talk about fitness either eh?

You don't have one, you've voiced your opinion. Thanks for the input.

which 'scooter' do you have in mind
Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

It depends on what your commute is like, either could be appropriate.
The first one.

I'm not going to pick her up as a sweaty mess or buy a seat for a racing bike. Anyway if you have nothing more to add kindly piss off
You mentioned fitness here

I wouldn't be a sweaty mess after such a short cycle and I don't think you would either

I think you want a ludicrous toy and that's fine but a bike is better for your needs and those scooters look stupid.

You mentioned fitness here

I wouldn't be a sweaty mess after such a short cycle and I don't think you would either

I think you want a ludicrous toy and that's fine but a bike is better for your needs and those scooters look stupid.
Maybe, just maybe I take a long route home or to work on my bike and the cycle finishes with Greenwich Park Hill. Anyway you have nothing to add. Thanks foe the input.

Maybe, just maybe I take a long route home or to work on my bike and the cycle finishes with Greenwich Park Hill. Anyway you have nothing to add. Thanks foe the input.
Well I'm not a mind reader... you keep changing the remit.
I always have something to add and I still can not see why a bike is not better than a scooter here.
Why would you take a long route to pick up your kids?
I think a bike is better in all seriousness because you can go as fast as you need to get to your pick up on time and it won't run out etc inopportunely.
I would imagine that child pick ups are set in stone and a massive priority no?

The first one.

I am no expert on them, so I can't offer any advice on which models to look at etc. But what I would say is look very carefully at the battery inside them, check if it is user replaceable, find out what size it is and along with the motor size check what the max draw there can be. So, for example, a 10amp battery at 24v is 240w, if the motor is 240w then the draw is '1C' and it'll be flat in an hour. Most lithium batteries are fine with that and will last a decent amount of time. If the battery is 10amp and 12v with the same 240w motor then your draw is '2C' which cheap lithium-ion cells (like 18650s) can start to struggle with damaging their lifespan, if its lithium polymer (lipo) then they can handle much higher C ratings, but they often don't have as a big capacity.

I haven't looked into the legalities of them, but if I lived within 3 miles it would definitely be something I'd look more into, especially if you can recharge at work making your commute free.

Back