Electric Guitar Advice

skullmeister

Striker
I have a Squire Strat but really need the action lowered but dont want to attempt this myself - anyone had this done, would any guitar shop do this?

Any recommendations welcome.

Cheers

Yes, any decent guitar shop will do this for you. It's called a "setup" - they'll adjust the truss rod and bridge saddle heights and sort out your intonation at the same time.
Aye, it's not a big job as long as the neck's not warped. May possibly need to file the nut a bit but they're usually fine from the off.

Riff Raff guitars do a great set up for around ÂŁ30 .Done loads of set ups for me ,he doesn't even ask me how i want mine set up now as he knows my prefrences.Sean is a great lad ,you can either contact him on facebook or go to the shop about 200yds down from kwik fit near the mowbray .

I have a Squire Strat but really need the action lowered but dont want to attempt this myself - anyone had this done, would any guitar shop do this?

Any recommendations welcome.

Cheers
Whoever you take it to should talk to you before they do anything.

Adjusting the action MAY not be the right course of action to take.

Why do you want the action lowering? What issues are you encountering? What string gauge are you using (this might be the cheapest option).

A lower action can be easier to play (press down ) but can cause other issues - fret buzzes for one thing but also issues with string height and proximity to pickups which will affect output and clarity.

Its a balance finding answers to this and more questions - the more you know, the more experienced you are, will help find the whole set up that suits you and your style of playing.

Good luck.

@skullmeister

Why do you want the action lowering? What issues are you encountering? What string gauge are you using (this might be the cheapest option).

A lower action can be easier to play (press down ) but can cause other issues - fret buzzes for one thing but also issues with string height and proximity to pickups which will affect output and clarity.

Its a balance finding answers to this and more questions - the more you know, the more experienced you are, will help find the whole set up that suits you and your style of playing.

Good luck.

@skullmeister

Cheers, the strings are a long way off the fretboard, as you say I will quiz where I go for a bit of advice first đź‘Ť

Good luck.

@skullmeister
cos its too high,its too high,dunno gauge,
fret buzzes and pick up proximity = too low . Get your point mate but action issues is generally an easy fix .People set up guitars all day with no owner in sight .Setting up action for Latest guitar Big Lad moves into ,long conversations with hand on chin

Last edited:

Back