Electric cars at work

Dave Herbal

Striker
If you have an electric car and chargers at work, are you allowed to charge it for free or do you have to pay?
We have an scheme to lease cars through the company, but we’re currently arguing about the ability to charge them.

I imagine what Herbal means is they want their employer to install charge points and then they’ll ask for a fee to charge them
Is this classed as a perk and is potentially subject to a tax adjustment?

Depends if said chargers are limited to employees only or if people visiting for meetings or the public at large can use the same points for free

But they're arguing about the ability to charge them so I think it isn't allowed. Need more info from mr Herbal IMO
The boss says he’ll get chargers but you’ll have to pay to use them. I just assumed people charged at work for free as part of the go green incentive
Is this classed as a perk and is potentially subject to a tax adjustment?
Never thought of that. Might just run a 3 pin in the window

Last edited:
The boss says he’ll get chargers but you’ll have to pay to use them. I just assumed people charged at work for free as part of the go green incentive

What price per kWh has been proposed? Free charging would be an insane perk but it isn’t as good as it sounds

Free charging means everyone has an incentive to charge at work rather than home, so getting a charge point will be chaos

Ours were free but have recently changed to BP which you can do a monthly subscription of about 8 quid or top up manually.
On the map it showed as 0p per kW so I topped up a fiver and it charged and didn't use any credit 👍 (won't let you charge with zero credit)
I'm only in couple times a month so def wasn't worth the subscription.

Previous place I worked announced they were getting a charging point in and employees would be allowed use it for free. They did and surprise surprise a couple of weeks later the CEO gets an electric car and parks there all day every day.

This is the same place that had an "Executive Toilet"

Free at my place of work and everywhere else I've charged it. I've never paid for a charge in over a year of having the car.

What price per kWh has been proposed? Free charging would be an insane perk but it isn’t as good as it sounds

Free charging means everyone has an incentive to charge at work rather than home, so getting a charge point will be chaos
I’m the only one getting an EV

Back