Electric car home charging points

A couple of years ago a guy came to the door who was installing charge points for free, funded by the government. So I agreed. My son then bought a Renault Zoe, the salesman at the garage said that all the charge points were universal. They weren't, the one that we had previously installed was different to the one required for the Zoe. Hence lots of bother and frustration. Mind this was a few years ago when electric cars was a new fad, and no one knew what thy were doing, car salesman and garage and the initial installers. May be better now.

Mine is newmotion

spot on - had a bit of bother a year ago but they sent someone out straight away to fix it with any quibbles

Well I’d love to know who at NPG sorted it for you. I’ve just been going around in circles
Probably me! DM me if you’re stuck.

NPg manage the main fuse into the house so if the charging company specify you need 80A or 100A then we need to check the fuse to make sure it’s big enough and won’t blow.

In response to npg telling you to contact your supplier that’s 100% correct, your meter tails and or meter might not be able to handle an increased load and this is the responsibility of your supplier to make sure this is up to scratch to meet your needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same as this. Lads installing it were no bother and did a good job. Got to fill in a grant form which is a bit of a faff but got the cost covered.
Mines not complete yet. He couldn’t sign it off. Issue with the bonding I think (wife was the one home at the time). He arranged for national power to come and fix it. He’s due back but that may not happen for a while due to lockdown. Car is due early next month (covid willing) but he says I can turn it on and use it if needed.

Mines not complete yet. He couldn’t sign it off. Issue with the bonding I think (wife was the one home at the time). He arranged for national power to come and fix it. He’s due back but that may not happen for a while due to lockdown. Car is due early next month (covid willing) but he says I can turn it on and use it if needed.

I got mine a few days after the car but thankfully had no bother. Wired from the meter with it's own box.

Mind, the amount of photographs I had to take of all angles of fuse boxes, drive, external walls etc, if they'd have turned up and said they couldn't do it I'd have been pissed off.

For those with company cars , the following may be of some use regarding the tax treatment of the electric charging point installed at your home.

The tax exemption applies if the company pays for / or reimburses you for the cost of installing an electric charging point at your house and you use it to charge a company car. So you will not be able to claim a tax deduction for costs personally incurred on a self-assessment tax return.

What you can do is for the company to reimburse you for the personal costs incurred on installing the charging point at your home. That reimbursement will be tax-free, you could do so with the company picking up the cost. There will be no taxable benefit in kind to report or pay tax on.

Please note that this tax exemption treatment only applies where the charging point is used to charge a company car and NOT a personally owned car.

Taking this a step further, if the company were to reimburse you for the cost of the electricity, the tax treatment depends on the use of the car:
  • Business use only – the amount paid by the company or reimbursed will be exempt from tax.
  • Personal or mixed use - the amount paid by the company or reimbursed is taxable as earnings, with you personally entitled to a tax deduction for the cost of business miles travelled.

If the company does not reimburse you, you are entitled to a tax deduction for the actual electricity cost of business miles travelled.

This raises the practical difficulty of identifying the cost of the electricity used during business miles travelled. This may be more straightforward where a commercial charging point is used, but could be difficult to establish where a company car is charged at home.

The company can pay for a charge card to allow individuals access to commercial or local authority charging points and this is not a taxable benefit.

I used a company called ChargedEV. It was an arse on to provide everything they asked for but it all got done for free in the end as the lease car firm stumped up the difference. It’s a very neat job and works a treat.

As a side note our second EV was delivered today. I went for the Skoda Citigo and it seems like a cracking little car after a brief 15 minute drive.

Although the main fuse belongs to the distribution company, provided it is ONLY the main fuse itself that needs upgrading then the supplier is allowed to do it.
Get in touch with your supplier.
That’s not true. A meter fitter isn’t allowed to upgrade or downgrade a mains fuse according to moccopa guidelines. It isn’t the suppliers equipment and the fuse rating is picked based on the mains head and cables supplying the property. The grid needs to make that decision.

That’s not true. A meter fitter isn’t allowed to upgrade or downgrade a mains fuse according to moccopa guidelines. It isn’t the suppliers equipment and the fuse rating is picked based on the mains head and cables supplying the property. The grid needs to make that decision.
On new supplies we would leave the fuse out for the supplier to install but they’re now reluctant to even do that.

As I say any questions from anyone feel free to DM me. I’ve checked/upgraded loads of supplies for car chargers.

That's how it worked with me.
The SSE electrician said he can upgrade the fuse.
The box holding the fuse was cracked but he said he's not allowed to replace that, he can only report it for the distributor to look into as the only part of the distributer's equipment he is allowed to work on is the fuse itself.

That's how it worked with me.
The SSE electrician said he can upgrade the fuse.
The box holding the fuse was cracked but he said he's not allowed to replace that, he can only report it for the distributor to look into as the only part of the distributer's equipment he is allowed to work on is the fuse itself.
Where do you live? The fuse can be changed like for like if it’s an old fuse but a mop can’t decide what size fuse should be fitted at a property. I work for Sse that’s our rules.

Where do you live? The fuse can be changed like for like if it’s an old fuse but a mop can’t decide what size fuse should be fitted at a property. I work for Sse that’s our rules.
I live in Sunderland.
This was about 7 years ago.
The SSE electrician said he's allowed to upgrade the main fuse up to 100A. The original fuse was 40A.
But because of some issue with the size of the fuse holder and the fuses he had, we settled on 80A.
He said that to get 100A I'd need the fuse holder replacing which would cost £££s and would need to be done by the distribution company.

I live in Sunderland.
The SSE electrician said he's allowed to upgrade the main fuse up to 100A. The original fuse was 40A.
But because of some issue with the size of the fuse holder and the fuses he had, we settled on 80A.
He said that to get 100A I'd need the fuse holder replacing which would cost £££s and would need to be done by the distribution company.
80A depends on the cut out, it would get upgraded if required to take 80A as a lot of the older cut outs are only rated to 60A. 100A only the new cables can handle it and that’s why it costs a fortune to replace all of the equipment. It’s not the suppliers responsibility to upgrade a fuse though, it’s not their equipment to determine max ratings.

80A depends on the cut out, it would get upgraded if required to take 80A as a lot of the older cut outs are only rated to 60A. 100A only the new cables can handle it and that’s why it costs a fortune to replace all of the equipment. It’s not the suppliers responsibility to upgrade a fuse though, it’s not their equipment to determine max ratings.
I can count on 1 hand the amount of 100A fuses I’ve seen in the northeast in the last 6 years. Other parts of the country they are pretty much all 100A but NEDL don’t seem to like them or our network isn’t cut out for it one of the two. Even most nee builds with 100A rated carriers/cutouts will have an 80A in.
I live in Sunderland.
He was a bit of a naughty boy then as we shouldn’t do that. I’ve a good guess who it was too :lol:

Last edited:
I can count on 1 hand the amount of 100A fuses I’ve seen in the northeast in the last 6 years. Other parts of the country they are pretty much all 100A but NEDL don’t seem to like them or our network isn’t cut out for it one of the two. Even most nee builds with 100A rated carriers/cutouts will have an 80A in.

Correct 👍 it’s at request only for 100A and depends on numbers on feeder from substation etc and the actual requirement. Amount of sparkies that just ask for the highest possible load without doing calculations is ridiculous! 80A standard fuse with 100A rated cut out. I’ve fitted a few myself and put loads in on jobs now, they’re getting a lot more common with commercial units and car chargers, eventually they’ll become the norm.

Last edited by a moderator:
My house is rendered and I’m a bit particular about trying not to have cables spoiling the look so I’m trying to think how they would run a cable in an inconspicuous way.

On a related note, what hybrids and EVs are best at the moment. I saw a good deal on an ioniq the other day but wasn’t sure as I remember Leafs being horrendous.

Back