EFL confirm players and staff "at four league one clubs" all tested negative for Covid-19

Wycombe fan here. Honestly, I understand anyone being upset about not getting a chance. Any fan forum I have gone on has (understandably) seen things from whatever perspective best suits their club. I believe most clubs would vote according to their best interests, which is why it is not a coincidence Coventry and Rotherham will both vote to end the season too, and also teams who will avoid relegation as a result, like AFC Wimbledon and Rochdale.

However, from my perspective, a jump from 8th to 3rd sounds a lot more crazy than it actually is - all the clubs from 3rd to 8th are covered by a single point, and we have a game in hand. If the season had ended a week earlier, we would have been 4th with the same games played as most everyone else. That's all ifs and buts, but the fact is, 8th was our lowest position all season, and as for freefall, we had won 5 of 8 before gifting Doncaster the win in our last game. It was not scorching hot form, but it was not freefall either. As for voting to end the season but playing the playoffs, there is a huge difference in expense between ten games and a maximum of three. There is a lot of talk over our new owner, who has come across well so far, but no-one knows how much money he has exactly, as far as being able to eat massive losses, and he does not intend on simply pumping loads of cash in anyway, but trying to make us sustainable (if that is even possible).

I don't blame anyone for being upset - I don't think there is actually a truly fair way to finish the season, given that only home and away in front of crowds with no gap would have been fair. But I understand people looking at it and feeling hard done by (especially Peterborough). However, to wish us to go to the wall because of how a pandemic has shaken things up is too far for me.

Also, we have not come out vocally as gung-ho about making sure we get in the playoffs. Our new owner's initial opinion was to null and void the season, and start again in August. Gareth Ainsworth has come out as saying he wishes the season could be finished. Whether you believe them or not, they have not been pushing and pushing for this solution in the way MacAnthony or Palios have been ranting about a solution that would benefit them.

Personally, I am gutted the season was cut short. That may sound convenient to say, but it was a magical ride for us, and we had no real pressure to get promoted. Everything was on the up and up with the new owner coming in, and it felt like we were riding a wave. Worst case scenario we drop to around 10th, and build on that foundation next season. Losing that stretch run, no matter how it played out, is gutting, as we had nothing to lose, and could enjoy the ride. Wycombe have never finished higher than 6th in League One, so while this is slumming it for you, it is nosebleed territory for us.

I am just writing this as it is also gutting for people to think we have been gifted something, when we have worked miracles on a threadbare budget. The owner, though he put some money in over the course of the season, only took over before the last two games. We got promoted from League Two with one of the lowest budgets in the division (with sweet Luke O'Nien a part of it), stayed in League One last season with a lower League Two budget, and were challenging this year, with our squad still only costing around 1.9 million pounds, if I remember rightly. This is the sort of thing that should be admired more than decried.

Anyway, that's my tuppence.
Understand what you’re saying there mate but your team seemed to lose every time you came up against a decent side from December onwards. Lost to Oxford, lost to Pompey, lost to Coventry, drew with Ipswich, lost to us, lost to Peterborough, lost to fleetwood and lost to Doncaster. You’re just lucky you played Bolton and Tranmere before the lockdown.

In my opinion the way Ainsworth and the club are going about things are taking the piss, to me it sounds like they want to get the season cancelled and finish in third to take promotion because of financial reasons. If we were being honest your lads probably were going to be just about competing with us for a spot outside of the play offs, your game looked to be up

I’m also not bitter about Wycombe because they’re getting in the playoffs ahead of us because I don’t think that we deserved to get in and if anything would have slid behind Doncaster.

There was only three certainties in league one at the end of season for me, Coventry would win the league, Rotherham wouldn't have finished second and Wycombe wouldn't have finished in the play offs.

I was in favour of cancelling the season altogether and starting a new season from scratch. Since that is not an option I’d play the remaining games behind closed doors.
since that appears to be down the swanny ( apart from the play offs, now there’s a thing ) I’ve run out of fucks I’m afraid.

Is this lad just sat waiting for any article that makes it sound like SAFC won't be in the play offs just so he can rush across to post it? Seems a bit strange. We know, we aren't going up ; with this set up we'd be fucked anyway so I don't think many are too devastated about it, if you're only here to rub it in you're onto something of a loser

As a result of this I might just start tagging the fucker in every thread about the play off final. Team news, manager interviews, the lot. See you next season OP

Back