Edinburgh Festivals cancelled

Same situation as me, my balance is due the 12th April. Leaving it as long as possible but not paying the balance as who knows when, or if, you'd get it back. Assuming the September holiday, due in June, will be the same. Rather lose two deposits than risk paying the whole thing.
I'm flying with Jet2 18th May. Paid in full though so I'd better get something back. Wife had a Jet2 flight for this month which has been cancelled for well over a week and no refund received yet.

Jet2 still insist that holidays starting after May 1st will still go ahead under current advice.
We were going away in June to Menorca, balance to be paid 10th April.
Choice of lose your deposit or pay balance of £3000+ in April and claim it back when it's cancelled.
Spain is decimated by Covid and no way will they be back on their feet by June, July, August or anytime soon let alone welcoming visitors.
I'd be tempted to lose the deposit.

I genuinely can't see any large scale events, sporting, music or otherwise running this summer. It's going to be a brave (or desperate) organiser to be the first to break ranks.
Can’t see any happening until 2021 unless there is a Poyet style miracle

I still can't see how we got out of that! Wickham on his day, man .....
Wimbledon gone now too, less surprisingly.

Jet2 still insist that holidays starting after May 1st will still go ahead under current advice.
We were going away in June to Menorca, balance to be paid 10th April.
Choice of lose your deposit or pay balance of £3000+ in April and claim it back when it's cancelled.
Spain is decimated by Covid and no way will they be back on their feet by June, July, August or anytime soon let alone welcoming visitors.
They know they won’t be going ahead so are hedging their bets... people cancel they get to keep the deposits in the company.
People pay up they will defer and give vouchers for a later date hoping people take that option rather than ask for a refund.
Depending on how big your deposit is I’d be tempted to lose that and not pay the balance or alternatively if you aren’t going to miss the balance for a bit, pay up, wait till it’s cancelled and get your full refund.

Nuclear option would be flights go back on but you get quarantined in your hotel on arrival or the resorts are all but closed when you get there 😳😂

Last edited:
Just tell them under the circumstances that you are still going ahead but cannot commit to the paying the balance due to current situation. The publicity would be horrendous if the snaffled people's deposits when some are having to take mortgage holidays etc etc.

More likely to find maddie mcann riding shergar than get a response from jet2 at the minute. Assuming deposits are lost rather than rely on a possible refund from jet 2 or atol

I'd be tempted to lose the deposit.
Yeah, that's what we went for, my thoughts were lose £120 rather than pay out thousands for something that isn't going to happen.
If you look at Jet2's website there are a series of FAQ'S that just seem to repeat the mantra of flights are only off until 1st May, a decision will be made after that.

Yeah, that's what we went for, my thoughts were lose £120 rather than pay out thousands for something that isn't going to happen.
If you look at Jet2's website there are a series of FAQ'S that just seem to repeat the mantra of flights are only off until 1st May, a decision will be made after that.
They’ve all been doing that based on government guidelines . You’ll get a refund when it doesn’t go ahead. I had a holiday booked on Expedia but they wouldn’t sort it until the deadline extended past my departure date. Then I got a no fuss refund for 4 flights and accommodation. Not bad really

They’ve all been doing that based on government guidelines . You’ll get a refund when it doesn’t go ahead. I had a holiday booked on Expedia but they wouldn’t sort it until the deadline extended past my departure date. Then I got a no fuss refund for 4 flights and accommodation. Not bad really
Well our thoughts were along the lines of £120 = decent (pre lockdown) night out.
£35000 ish = a sh** load of money in somebody else's pocket that we have to wait for them to give us back when they have the time or inclination.
I'm in a high risk group so i thought i'd better keep the money in the bank and hopefully spend it next year when i've had the vaccine 😁 .
If i'm not pushing up daisies or deed......

Well our thoughts were along the lines of £120 = decent (pre lockdown) night out.
£35000 ish = a sh** load of money in somebody else's pocket that we have to wait for them to give us back when they have the time or inclination.
I'm in a high risk group so i thought i'd better keep the money in the bank and hopefully spend it next year when i've had the vaccine 😁 .
agree but its just a shame to lose 120 quid. not a small amount of cash to lose for nowt

I'm losing the 120 rather than shell out another grand in the hope I'll get the lot back. Unless there's any sort of official announcement in the meantime of course. Same for the September holiday due in June.

35 grand?! How many of you are there? :eek:

Supposed to be going to Holland in June. Both the ferry company and the site we are staying on say they'll give us a credit to use any time in the next year. Both say if the price is more we'll have to pay the difference, so if they stick the price up we might need to pay more! Do I have any rights to say no I don't want a credit I want my money back?

Back