Edinburgh Airport vs. Ponteland Airport

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27897

Does anyone based in the North East choose to fly from here than Ponteland?

Although you have to pay for a train up (doing it in advance is about £12 a way) Edinburgh offers a wider range of international destinations and in many instances cheaper flights too.

I tried it for the first time after comparing prices and found it really handy. The logistics wasn’t an issue at all. A hour or so train ride, followed by a bus to the airport (£4.50) which is found right outside Waverely station.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll fly from Edinburgh (or Glasgow or anyway) if it works out cheap enough ti negate the extra hassle of flying from Newcastle.

But i'd always much prefer flying from Newcastle if I can.

The Scots have different school holidays too which means you can sometimes get cheaper flights during English school holidays.
This. It works both ways as we get reasonably priced holidays as the schools finish end of June.

The routes are increasing as well as some of the carriers are choosing Edinburgh over Glasgow.

If you live near a metro station, it’s no bother to get to Edinburgh airport.

This. It works both ways as we get reasonably priced holidays as the schools finish end of June.

The routes are increasing as well as some of the carriers are choosing Edinburgh over Glasgow.

If you live near a metro station, it’s no bother to get to Edinburgh airport.

And if you choose to drive to Edinburgh, @MackemBob will kindly let you park your car on his drive for two weeks. Top bloke.

Although you have to pay for a train up (doing it in advance is about £12 a way) Edinburgh offers a wider range of international destinations and in many instances cheaper flights too.

I tried it for the first time after comparing prices and found it really handy. The logistics wasn’t an issue at all. A hour or so train ride, followed by a bus to the airport (£4.50) which is found right outside Waverely station.

Always used to fly out of Edinburgh when we lived abroad (look at me etc etc) and I thought it was a great little airport. Always used the airport bus from Waverley too.

If you book far enough in advance you can get cheap first class tickets to get there so you even get a free breakfast.

Newcastle is generally more expensive than most. Saved £100 last year by going from Leeds/Bradford instead.
Done that the other year with Jet2.It was over £500 cheaper to go from Leeds/Bradford to the same hotel on same day with better flight times than from Newcastle.

Nowt wrong with Newcastle apart from the limited direct destinations. It doesn’t bother me doing a connection but it can often significantly increase the journey time. Would rather do it a little more leisurely.

I used to use Edinburgh for flights to Sweden and it is hassle free. Still takes a bit longer get than the hour they OP is referring to mind.

Used it a couple of times and its really good and easy. Lately I've used Leeds Bradford though as flight times are better - both much cheaper than Newcastle mind

Me , its about 5 miles closer to me and I think its a nicer airport. Also you can use the Tram now to the airport as well as the bus.

Generally fly from Newcastle for convenience, but have flown from Glasgow and Edinburgh in the last 12 months for cost and convenience reasons. Saving money or getting a direct flight from those airports is always a nice idea, but the journey home is a ball-ache - flew overnight from Toronto in August, landed 6am and had the 2 hour drive down home with 3 sleeping passengers for company. Last week, we landed in NCL via LHR and were home in 20 mins....

Back