Ebay payments

I appreciate there has already been a thread discussing this but now some time has elapsed how are people getting on with this? I think I need to provide me account details by the end of the month. Presume I will not be allowed to buy or sell otherwise.

How have peoples experienced been with the new in house system?

I’ve ignored it to date.
I’ve bought a few things but not sold anything else yet and presumed they’d walk you through the process when you first list something for sale.

I appreciate there has already been a thread discussing this but now some time has elapsed how are people getting on with this? I think I need to provide me account details by the end of the month. Presume I will not be allowed to buy or sell otherwise.

No different realy apart from the payment is sent straight to your bank, minus the fees. Fees are more or less the same as before. Apart from ebay now click more as they score a little more what paypal would have took.
I'm surprised anyone buys from.wbay, full of shite knocked of stuff. Would only ever buy as a last ever resort from there.
You do know new stuff is sold on there dont you?

Buy all my tools for work on there. rare car bike parts are so easy to find. The list goes on.... Prices are usually unbeatable. Sell a bit on there now and again also. Win win realy for me,

Last edited:
It's shit. In the past, the buyer would pay with PayPal, and it would be in your PayPal account immediately. Now, it goes to eBay, who "process" it, usually for 2 working days. They then send you the funds, with all the fees already deducted (which is the only good thing about it). Having to wait for 2 days is pretty insulting while they "process" it. In the meantime, from a buyer's perspective, they've paid immediately, and therefore, you're expected to dispatch items without actually having received any money at that point. Hate it me.

It's shit. In the past, the buyer would pay with PayPal, and it would be in your PayPal account immediately. Now, it goes to eBay, who "process" it, usually for 2 working days. They then send you the funds, with all the fees already deducted (which is the only good thing about it). Having to wait for 2 days is pretty insulting while they "process" it. In the meantime, from a buyer's perspective, they've paid immediately, and therefore, you're expected to dispatch items without actually having received any money at that point. Hate it me.

Imagine their daily balance/ interest due.

Imagine their daily balance/ interest due.
Indeed. Also, if there are any issues with a transaction, they can now "hold" your funds. I sell football shirts mostly. Some buyer bought an old England shirt and asked to return it (didn't fit him, fat bastard). He opened a "return case", which I accepted. Because of that, eBay "held" my funds, which essentially meant they "froze" my money, until the case was resolved (I had about £40 they were "processing" at that point). I then had to wait to get the shirt back in the post, which took the stupid fucker almost a week to post back to me (funds still frozen). Once I got it back, I then triggered the refund of a tenner, which then meant I ended up getting my remaining £30 balance 3 or 4 days later. That was the quickest outcome. If the shirt had come back covered in shit or nits, and I'd refused the refund, my funds would have remained frozen until eventually resolved. It's bollocks like. I had another bag of shirts to sell. I gave them away to my god son instead, couldn't be arsed with it anymore.

Indeed. Also, if there are any issues with a transaction, they can now "hold" your funds. I sell football shirts mostly. Some buyer bought an old England shirt and asked to return it (didn't fit him, fat bastard). He opened a "return case", which I accepted. Because of that, eBay "held" my funds, which essentially meant they "froze" my money, until the case was resolved (I had about £40 they were "processing" at that point). I then had to wait to get the shirt back in the post, which took the stupid fucker almost a week to post back to me (funds still frozen). Once I got it back, I then triggered the refund of a tenner, which then meant I ended up getting my remaining £30 balance 3 or 4 days later. That was the quickest outcome. If the shirt had come back covered in shit or nits, and I'd refused the refund, my funds would have remained frozen until eventually resolved. It's bollocks like. I had another bag of shirts to sell. I gave them away to my god son instead, couldn't be arsed with it anymore.

I’ve never minded PayPal as an escrow service. But I imagine eBay will play very much by their own rules and to the detriment of a seller.

I’ve never minded PayPal as an escrow service. But I imagine eBay will play very much by their own rules and to the detriment of a seller.
It's definitely not for sellers now. I'm going to look into the others, Schpok (sp?) and Vinted and them.

No different realy apart from the payment is sent straight to your bank, minus the fees. Fees are more or less the same as before. Apart from ebay now click more as they score a little more what paypal would have took.

You do know new stuff is sold on there dont you?

Buy all my tools for work on there. rare car bike parts are so easy to find. The list goes on.... Prices are usually unbeatable. Sell a bit on there now and again also. Win win realy for me,

Is eBay safe to sell on? I’ve heard horror stories of people selling relatively expensive stuff on there but the buyer pulling a fast one saying they’ve not received anything and getting a full refund whilst keeping the goods.

Is eBay safe to sell on? I’ve heard horror stories of people selling relatively expensive stuff on there but the buyer pulling a fast one saying they’ve not received anything and getting a full refund whilst keeping the goods.
Dont sell anything expensive where you have to post it as the buyer can just claim you send an empty box and as ebay as not a shop just a marketplace that matches a seller and a buyer they will always refund the buyer and the seller has to do the leg work to get theor funds back. Not too bad when you are a powerseller (soon to be changed) as eBay always give them the money as well as they dont want to annoy the bigger sellers.

If you are selling a phone or PlayStation jusy do collection only and cash never PayPal or managed payments, ebay then give the buyer a code, when they come to collect you type the code into your ebay and thats proof they have received the item.

Managed payments (the new way to be paid) is fine, its cheaper than with PayPal so I dont mind the 2 day wait to get my funds, with PayPal you were paying to get your money quicker, id rather save the 4% and wait 2 days.

With regards to refunds, they only place the amount for the refund on hold, the seller then has to refund you within 2 business days upon arrival of the goods or the buyer can force the refund though, PayPal basically done the same but would just put the seller into negative amounts.

Only issue is if you had micropayments on paypal as ebay clearly dont want these sellers so just ignored them.

Dont sell anything expensive where you have to post it as the buyer can just claim you send an empty box and as ebay as not a shop just a marketplace that matches a seller and a buyer they will always refund the buyer and the seller has to do the leg work to get theor funds back. Not too bad when you are a powerseller (soon to be changed) as eBay always give them the money as well as they dont want to annoy the bigger sellers.

If you are selling a phone or PlayStation jusy do collection only and cash never PayPal or managed payments, ebay then give the buyer a code, when they come to collect you type the code into your ebay and thats proof they have received the item.

Managed payments (the new way to be paid) is fine, its cheaper than with PayPal so I dont mind the 2 day wait to get my funds, with PayPal you were paying to get your money quicker, id rather save the 4% and wait 2 days.

With regards to refunds, they only place the amount for the refund on hold, the seller then has to refund you within 2 business days upon arrival of the goods or the buyer can force the refund though, PayPal basically done the same but would just put the seller into negative amounts.

Only issue is if you had micropayments on paypal as ebay clearly dont want these sellers so just ignored them.

Appreciate your feedback - I’ve a few high value items I’m looking to sell and was wary of risking them on eBay as I didn’t know the ropes.

👍🏻

Appreciate your feedback - I’ve a few high value items I’m looking to sell and was wary of risking them on eBay as I didn’t know the ropes.

👍🏻
Depending on the item gumtree or facebook marketplace are sometimes better as well.

If yiu do sell on the above dont just take payment via PayPal unless its sent friends and family as they can just open a item not received casr and you will have no proof they have received the item, cash is easiest.

Agree - their new ‘fees’ claim to be the same as PayPal, but they now take the full % of the final mount - even if the buyer pays cash. They used to only claim a fee on PayPal transactions - after their final value fee of course.....oh yeah on your f***ing postage too.

f***ing hate how ebay have upped their fees but still offer hardly any protection to sellers - kernts!!

Sold on there for 15 years and never had a problem. Im not a prolific seller but sell a few items now and again. Granted iv heard the horror stories. Rarley elsell expensive items, but if i do i always post special delivery. Sold a few watches and selling on ebay always gets the best price for a seller.

I've been using it for over 2 months now and the only real drawback is waiting 2 working days for the money to reach your account. As that's common for most financial transfers I don't find it particularly onerous. I note that they've reduced the generosity of their selling promotions in the last few weeks: the £1 max FVF is now more often 50% off FVF and the 30p transaction fee gets added on.

Back