eBay help... buyer claiming item is faulty

Similar happened with me, though it wasn't a phone I was selling, just an old coat.

The twat buying it hadn't read the listing right, it was Lacoste so the size was 58 (I'd even used an image of their own size guide in my listing, 58 = XL) yet they just said "not as described" (expecting it to.be a 58 inch chest, obviously a fat bastard).

They just sided with the buyer and didn't read anything I put to them.

So basically as a seller you have no rights.

I refused the return, sent the postie packing with it. I unlinked all cards and bank accounts in PayPal. I ended up with a negative PayPal balance and a negative eBay balance for the returns label.

PayPal even tried debt collection on me.

But I said if you want the money, take me to court and I will show the judge my listing and photos, we'll see if he agrees it's not as described

It all went quiet eventually, the PayPal account was closed down by them.

Will I fuck ever use eBay or sell on it again.
Admire your guts doing that.

You have seller protection, so if you can prove they have returned the incorrect item you don't need to issue the refund, issue is ebay will use the claim that they are not able to see the item and they are only a site that helps put sellers in contact with buyers and not a store themselves. You will have to contact ebay though, I have a sellers account so not 100% sure if its the same on a private account but eBay process the refund automatically if I dont after 2 business days of the return being signed for.

If youbare forced to refund and want to appeal its easier going through PayPal if you can, more chance of getting somebody in Ireland, whereas with eBay you will get the Philippines and they can't go off script, if you need to contact eBay 8am is when the UK/Ireland based contacts open so thats the best time to contact them.

If they do send the incorrect phone back you will probably have to get a crime number, keep all the packaging and the stamp as another trick they use is to just send you the box with a stone in it so they have proof its been returned but the weight wont match your outward postage.

Always be polite though, if you get aggressive in the messages ebay will never side with you, also ask eBay to check the persons account to see if they have history of doing this, if they are scamming you there will be a good chance its not their first time.

Thankfully my account is now at the level where eBay 99% of the time side with me but to get to this level I've had to put up wirh some annoying scammers.

Similar happened with me, though it wasn't a phone I was selling, just an old coat.

The twat buying it hadn't read the listing right, it was Lacoste so the size was 58 (I'd even used an image of their own size guide in my listing, 58 = XL) yet they just said "not as described" (expecting it to.be a 58 inch chest, obviously a fat bastard).

I refused the return, sent the postie packing with it. I unlinked all cards and bank accounts in PayPal. I ended up with a negative PayPal balance and a negative eBay balance for the returns label.

But I said if you want the money, take me to court and I will show the judge my listing and photos, we'll see if he agrees it's not as described

Absolutely disgusting attitude you've displayed there......assuming the judge would automatically be a man . ;)

Some great info in this thread and a good lesson to all.

I have bought stuff off eBay without a problem but never sold anything.

I won’t go down that route now. I never really sell anything I just keep stuff.

Ebay is very quickly regressing to the standards often found on Facebook marketplace, particularly noticable when selling. I sell old football shirts quite regularly, and often make a few quid here and there. It's at the point now where after an auction has ended, and someone's bidded on and won the item, it's pretty much 50/50 whether I'll actually get paid or not. The amount of bullshit excuses I get is embarrassing, and even then its after I've had to chase people for days for payment. Don't bid if you don't want it, end of.

Had one bloke claim not to have received a shirt a month after I'd posted it. A quick online check using the tracking number proved it had been delivered the day after I posted it. Looked at his feedback, and he obviously had a record of this little scam. Reported to ebay, nowt back. They don't give a shit as long as they get their "cut".

I wouldn't dare sell anything electrical/valuable on there these days. Too many lying, unreliable twats out there unfortunately. Take it to CEX when you get it back.

Doesn't help you know but I've sold phones to the second hand phone shops. You may get a little less than ebay but it's cash in your hand and there's no comeback like this.

Have you told her you will check the IMEI and serial number? Even if you haven't got them, it might put her off complaining if she's trying to pull a fast one.

The original phone company where you bought it from might be able to help if you haven't got the IMEI.

I was selling a load of dolls house stuff including a washing machine. It was clearly listed in the dolls house section and the washing machine had a moving drum, so there was an additional picture with my finger on the side wheel showing how to turn it.

Someone bought it for a few quid but a couple of quid postage, then had a meltdown as they were expecting a full sized working washing machine 🤷‍♀️

Thankfully they saw sense on that and told the buyer they were not entitled to a refund.

Ebay is very quickly regressing to the standards often found on Facebook marketplace, particularly noticable when selling. I sell old football shirts quite regularly, and often make a few quid here and there. It's at the point now where after an auction has ended, and someone's bidded on and won the item, it's pretty much 50/50 whether I'll actually get paid or not. The amount of bullshit excuses I get is embarrassing, and even then its after I've had to chase people for days for payment. Don't bid if you don't want it, end of.

Had one bloke claim not to have received a shirt a month after I'd posted it. A quick online check using the tracking number proved it had been delivered the day after I posted it. Looked at his feedback, and he obviously had a record of this little scam. Reported to ebay, nowt back. They don't give a shit as long as they get their "cut".

I wouldn't dare sell anything electrical/valuable on there these days. Too many lying, unreliable twats out there unfortunately. Take it to CEX when you get it back.
I thankfully now only list as buy it now with immediate payment, the amount of excuses people come up with like their 4 year old must have bid on the pair of golf shoes or somebody has hacked their account is stupid. Now they have to buy and pay straight away and its shipped within 24 hours, still get a few people who dont read the listing though and want a uk 12 yet buy a uk 7 and try and claim I was in the wrong.

You have seller protection, so if you can prove they have returned the incorrect item you don't need to issue the refund, issue is ebay will use the claim that they are not able to see the item and they are only a site that helps put sellers in contact with buyers and not a store themselves. You will have to contact ebay though, I have a sellers account so not 100% sure if its the same on a private account but eBay process the refund automatically if I dont after 2 business days of the return being signed for.

If youbare forced to refund and want to appeal its easier going through PayPal if you can, more chance of getting somebody in Ireland, whereas with eBay you will get the Philippines and they can't go off script, if you need to contact eBay 8am is when the UK/Ireland based contacts open so thats the best time to contact them.

If they do send the incorrect phone back you will probably have to get a crime number, keep all the packaging and the stamp as another trick they use is to just send you the box with a stone in it so they have proof its been returned but the weight wont match your outward postage.

Always be polite though, if you get aggressive in the messages ebay will never side with you, also ask eBay to check the persons account to see if they have history of doing this, if they are scamming you there will be a good chance its not their first time.

Thankfully my account is now at the level where eBay 99% of the time side with me but to get to this level I've had to put up wirh some annoying scammers.
Thanks some good advice there. The phones on its way back to me apparently so I’ll see what turns up. I think it’s pretty much what you said 2 days to issue a refund. I spoke to an eBay rep who said regardless of the fact my profile is set to no returns I have to take it back, then appeal if somethings not right.

Having sold loads of stuff on there without chew, this phone has caused me nowt but problems. It’s the second time I’ve listed it because it went for £430 the first time only for the buyer to message 5 mins later saying ‘sorry don’t want it’. eBay were no help then either. 😡
Doesn't help you know but I've sold phones to the second hand phone shops. You may get a little less than ebay but it's cash in your hand and there's no comeback like this.

Have you told her you will check the IMEI and serial number? Even if you haven't got them, it might put her off complaining if she's trying to pull a fast one.

The original phone company where you bought it from might be able to help if you haven't got the IMEI.
Yeah I wish I’d just sold it locally now. This hassle has really put me off eBay. I’ve got the serial number so I’ll check it out when it comes back.

One thing that just occurred to me last night is I have phone insurance with my bank, and the phone is still registered there, so if my original one does come back not working, I’m covered for breakdown with them. So while it looks like a might have to take a hit off eBay i might still end up with a working phone if I pay the excess on my insurance, so not a complete loss.

I sold a blue denim jacket - it was shite and I’d only worn it once but thought I’ll make some money back.

The guy that bought it was an arse from the off- he messaged me before winning to demand I drop the postage (I accommodated on that) and then again to say ‘I’ve won it so send it quickly’ approx 30 secs after completion of the auction.

When he got it, he said that I’d edited the photos to make the jacket loook a different blue (I hadn’t). My response was ‘send it back and you’ll get a refund’.

He said it was too much hassle, left me negative feedback to say I was arrogant and unresponsive, then about 3 months later he put the jacket on eBay from his own account with the same photos as the ones I’d used for a much higher price.

Unfortunately with eBay trading at times is not done on good will but rather deceit. Possibly due to the anonymous nature.

I’ve had much more pleasant exchanges from in person selling using platforms like schpock and gumtree.

Thanks some good advice there. The phones on its way back to me apparently so I’ll see what turns up. I think it’s pretty much what you said 2 days to issue a refund. I spoke to an eBay rep who said regardless of the fact my profile is set to no returns I have to take it back, then appeal if somethings not right.
With regards to your account having returns not accepted, its basically pointless, the buyer can select either item not as described or not authentic and it automatically accepts it, you can then 'report' them for misuse of the returns policy and reclaim the £3.10 you are charged for the return label you are forced to provide and if the buyer has 2 reports in a month they get the account restricted, so basically everyone just selects those as the reasons.

My last couple of phones I sold for cash through gumtree but I got lured in by the £1 selling fees thinking I’d get a better price. As it turned out I only got £30 more than one of the phone buying sites offered, wish I’d just took that now.

Thanks. I told her I had a record of the serial no and also that I think she’s up to something and she’s replied saying I’m the one who’s trying to scam her. Really frustrating but I think I’ll just have to wait and see what she sends back. She has over 400 feedback score so I didn’t think there’d be any issues. It might just be coincidental but I’m just struggling to believe it would randomly break a couple of days after she received it.
Can you ask her to send you a screen shot of the settings page with the serial number on it? Or a video of it, if she’s saying the screen is faulty - get her to send you proof.

Can you ask her to send you a screen shot of the settings page with the serial number on it? Or a video of it, if she’s saying the screen is faulty - get her to send you proof.
She’s sent it back now as I’ve had the tracking notification so I’ll see what turns up. eBay pretty much said if I didn’t accept the return they’d just rule in her favour so I thought I might as well get it back then I’ll be able to see for myself what’s up.

I've sold loads of stuff on eBay and never had any of the issues described in this thread. The only issue I've had for ages was some books I'd sent to the USA - when they got there they had water damage and were bashed about a bit - I'd used the global shipping thing - the buyer was fine, as long as you follow the guidance, no issues - in this case the buyer had to request a return as the goods were damaged - as soon as he did I had to claim from Global shipping, the money was back in my account within the hour, so the Buyer got his refund and I got refunded for my books being damaged - a win/win

Love ebay me, buy and sell loads on there never hardly any issues. If there is its sorted without any drama. If selling phones etc it is always through gumtree. Cash on collection.

Happened to me recently, accepted the return and emailed her to say that i would only refund if i got the phone in the exact condition it was in when i posted it and that the imei number was a correct match with the records i kept before sending. In truth I forgot to record the imei number before i posted so was just blagging it, ebay froze my paypal funds for 2 weeks until her time to return it ran out then they automatically closed the case and released my cash. As soon as i mentioned the imei number she disappeared, obviously trying it on.

Last edited:
I've sold loads of stuff on eBay and never had any of the issues described in this thread. The only issue I've had for ages was some books I'd sent to the USA - when they got there they had water damage and were bashed about a bit - I'd used the global shipping thing - the buyer was fine, as long as you follow the guidance, no issues - in this case the buyer had to request a return as the goods were damaged - as soon as he did I had to claim from Global shipping, the money was back in my account within the hour, so the Buyer got his refund and I got refunded for my books being damaged - a win/win

I sell loads on eBay. But the only thing I wouldn’t buy or sell is phones. Far to easy to get ripped off. Either as a buyer or seller.

She’s sent it back now as I’ve had the tracking notification so I’ll see what turns up. eBay pretty much said if I didn’t accept the return they’d just rule in her favour so I thought I might as well get it back then I’ll be able to see for myself what’s up.
Sounds like you have been unlucky mate. Shes probably dropped it or something and its stopped working. Phones and electricals are always a risky thing to sell on ebay as some people think they are getting a warranty. In a way they are, as ebay will always side with the buyer.

Lesson learned unfortunately. Take the hit and move on.

On a different note, but whilst whinging about Ebay, some of you might have notice that the eBay forum on here which listed Sunderland related stuff for sale on eBay has disappeared.

It was used to generate a small amount of commission (about £30/year) towards running this site - and of course they only paid this out when you crossed the payment threshold - so every 2 or 3 years!

A couple of months ago I got an email from eBay:

We are writing to inform you that your account will be terminated immediately and 100% of your pending commissions will be reversed. You are not permitted to rejoin the eBay Partner Network. Also, as stated in our Network Agreement, under section X.E.2, you must immediately remove all links to Participating Sites and Content.

As stated in section VII.B. of our Network Agreement, we reserve the right to monitor and audit traffic and promotional methods.

They claimed I hadn't responded to earlier emails from them (which I haven't seen) - and my response to this email was just ignored by them and our account had already been disabled so I couldn't see how much commission they had "reversed".

It won't be a huge amount of money, but it annoys me the way they just unilaterally closed the account and kept all of it!

Back