East or West Coast of America.

106 degrees F in San Jose California when I arrived on Monday, cooled down now to just over 100 degrees F. To hot for the locals so on that bombshell it would have to be east coast for me as its more like home.....

Why have I got to like one more than the other?

Been to California (San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Monterey, Ventura Bay etc) and would love to go back to see the likes of Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Sacramento etc.

Been to NYC, DC, Maryland etc as well and really enjoyed all that as well and will also go back

Off to the West Coast this summer doing a trip round the PNW taking in Mount Rainier NP, Portland, Olympic NP, Victoria BC, San Juan and Seattle.

Just a shame they have lunatics running the place that won't do anything about gun laws but it's a great country to visit.

Lived in both. Loved San Francisco and California, lived there for a few years. Christmas day in the pool outside is a definite advantage. It's brilliant if you drive, and don't mind distances and probably better for families. East coast I found was more social and the people friendlier - which went against what I thought. There was more to do in the cities but New York is like a bubble, owning a car was a right chuff on, and it's easy to live in it. Much better for singles and youngsters.

Which is best?

Both great and it depends what you are after - east, I've done Washington to Miami by car - brilliant, people, food, locations etc, west - vegas, yosemite, san fran, LA, monteray, San Diego, vegas - again brilliant for a host of different reasons, but should be done.

You need to decide what you want to see/achieve by a trip

The Velvet Underground, Television, Ramones, Talking Heads, Blondie, Modern Lovers VERSUS Love, Byrd’s, Doors, X, Dream Syndicate, Dead Kennedy’s, GoGos, Rain Parade........awwwwh man don’t do this to me.

West Coast = Best Coast
California can't be beaten. See San Diego, Coronado Island, Temecula, Palm Springs, Yosemite, Death Valley etc etc

It's got to be the South for me. Just got back from my thrd trip to Texas and once again it was amazing.

Did four days in Boston before heading down to Austin and whilst Boston was nice and a pretty cool city, it had nothing on Austin IMO.

East is miles better imo.

Not a big fan of California but Oregon is a beautiful place if you like that kinda thing. The 3 west coast states are similar type of people.

The east coast has a lot more to offer. The NE people are totally different to the Carolina/Kentucky lot. Then there’s Florida

Which is best?

West. I've lived in major metro areas on both coasts (DC east, Bay Area west) and would choose any of 4 West Coast areas (SF Bay, Portland, Seattle, San Diego) over anywhere on the East Coast. And that's speaking as a DC native.

106 degrees F in San Jose California when I arrived on Monday, cooled down now to just over 100 degrees F. To hot for the locals so on that bombshell it would have to be east coast for me as its more like home.....

It's rarely like that in the Bay Area, and at least it's not humid. I'd take this over a typical DC summer day without any hesitation.

East is miles better imo.

Not a big fan of California but Oregon is a beautiful place if you like that kinda thing. The 3 west coast states are similar type of people.

The east coast has a lot more to offer. The NE people are totally different to the Carolina/Kentucky lot. Then there’s Florida

The 3 West Coast states are much larger, and so a lot of the diversity of people you see between different states in the east is reflected as you go inland in western states. What your quote tells me is that you've never been to eastern Washington or Oregon. Also, California might as well be six states for all the differences you see. LA and SF are incredibly different from one another, San Diego is different from both, and people in Portland hate everyone from all three with a fiery passion (seriously; you see stickers on real estate signs there with the outline of California and a big red slash through it).

And Kentucky isn't on the coast and is very different than the Carolinas. Florida is, as you note, it's own special animal.

Back