Durham to play Royal london "home game" in Scarborough

I'm fairly relaxed about that as it brings ££ in. The fact we are moving games 70 miles south is the issue. Nobody would really have any issues if the games were played at Hartlepool for example.

Nah, it's a load of bollocks. Why does following a team now have to include worrying about its finances? Matches in the middle of the season are less likely to be interrupted by rain and are more likely to see results. Better than sitting in the members lounge hoping to see a few hours of cricket in April/September.

Last edited:
Nah, it's a load of bollocks. Why does following a team now have to include worrying about its finances? Matches in the middle of the season are less likely to be interrupted by rain and are more likely to see results. Better than sitting in the members lounge hoping to see a few hours of cricket in April/September.

Ultimately the club need to make money & using the ground for alternative income sources isn't a bad thing in my opinion. It also generates finances for the local town/hotels etc.

No money = no club = no cricket.

It's just annoying the club have moved the game to where they have.

Ultimately the club need to make money & using the ground for alternative income sources isn't a bad thing in my opinion. It also generates finances for the local town/hotels etc.

No money = no club = no cricket.

It's just annoying the club have moved the game to where they have.
I agree. There is a financial reality. But Scarborough is f***ing insane

It's like working overtime all day and night in summer to buy a coveralls. I know Durham have to do in order to compete, but it's fuckin crap when you want to watch your team play at home in the sun.

Botham has Yorkshire connections, he may be wheeling and dealing whilst trying to maximise revenue through the gigs. It won't be the first or last time making money comes before the interests and convenience of the fans .......

Is it this season the 50 over comp becomes an age limit tournament. Not sure to many clubs would want to take on the liabilities of hosting a Durham match if that is the case.

Gordon Hollins of the FTECB said in April 2019 that the RL would be relegated to a 'Development' competition as from 2020.

Franklin was asked at the Members Forum in July if Durham would be using the competition to blood youngsters with this in mind and he replied that they had begun to do this in the 2019 competition.

Something to maybe consider before setting out on the 160 mile round trip from the Riverside in July.

Hmmm, as its part of their cricket festival I can see why it's maybe happened.

Maybe Botham is planning on creating a similar thing for Durham in the future? If so could he have struck a deal, who knows. I'm all for trying different things with the pressure now on county cricket to survive.
Says everything about the state of the game when concerts are planned in the middle of the season.

It's an outdoor gig, when should they organise it for?

Last edited:

Back