Durham squad 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is excellent but there's always a but. When the Test series against S.A. comes around we will lose both openers. With luck Cameron Steele will be able to step up (I wonder if they'll blood him at 3 at some time).

Also in a throw away line in the Chronicle report it notes that Ian Botham hasn't yet been made chairman, if he hasn't it presumably means the rest of the board is yet to be put in place too.

This is excellent but there's always a but. When the Test series against S.A. comes around we will lose both openers. With luck Cameron Steele will be able to step up (I wonder if they'll blood him at 3 at some time).

Also in a throw away line in the Chronicle report it notes that Ian Botham hasn't yet been made chairman, if he hasn't it presumably means the rest of the board is yet to be put in place too.

That's cricket, gives others a chance

Great signing

Not sure on exact timings, but Latham will surely take one of those spots when he arrives.

Not sure on exact timings, but Latham will surely take one of those spots when he arrives.
Latham arriving?? For Durham?

Ah right ....

Lewis was on Talksport saying Cook ... blah, blah, blah will be leaving us for the second half of the season so we're looking to get someone else in for then using the salary saved from Borthwick leaving for both players. The rumour-mill is that Latham is the other player Durham are talking to, although ECB approval will be necessary ofc.

Latham arriving?? For Durham?

Ah right ....

Lewis was on Talksport saying Cook ... blah, blah, blah will be leaving us for the second half of the season so we're looking to get someone else in for then using the salary saved from Borthwick leaving for both players. The rumour-mill is that Latham is the other player Durham are talking to, although ECB approval will be necessary ofc.

Latham to take over from Cook was the strong rumour. I'd love to see Latham come for the full summer in 2018 for all cricket if possible too.

Agree wholeheartedly with Johnson regarding a middle order player.

Is Wessels still available?

With regards to nabbing a couple of decent overseas batsman......that still leaves us 2 quality batters light as we were already 1 short with SB and MS in the ranks.

Colly must be almost finished due to his age so could say we are still three batters light

With regards to nabbing a couple of decent overseas batsman......that still leaves us 2 quality batters light as we were already 1 short with SB and MS in the ranks.

Colly must be almost finished due to his age so could say we are still three batters light

I think one decent middle order batsman will be enough to make us title contenders in Division Two.

We probably need another batsman to cope in the last part if the season when Jennings is playing tests. Hoping for good seasons with the bat from Burnham and Paul Coughlin.

aye who knows? we don't know what we are going to get from pretty much anyone in the side.

overseas players are always unpredictable.
jennings looked exceptional during 2016 from durham to england but go back a year before than and alot fo people would happily have seen the back of him.
collingwood is a year older. likewise onions who has over the past two years showed signs of slowing down a bit.
rushworth never hit the [admittedly stellar] highs of the season before.
richardson has yet to really settle into a consistent role.
coughlin has yet to prove he can play a full season.
burnham, pringle, hickey, arshad, weighell etc etc all full of promise but we have yet to see them really excel.

add into this we've dropped from div 1 to 2 and really we could end up anywhere from top to bottom when you think about the players weve lost and the points deduction.

still - i'm quietly confident and loudly excited about the coming season.

this could be the makings of a lot of durham cricketers this season.

It's very good news.

But this is a year for some of the players to take (another) step forward and at with at least one top class opener available for the full season assuming Jennings is chosen for England then there's a good change of a good season.

I wonder who will play in the no 3 slot. Presumably the no 3 guy will be the one to step up to open when that position needs to be filled.

Burnham has done well ... time for more than 1 century in the next season, we know he's capable of it.
Richardson could and should have a better season, last time he averaged 28 with one century.
Pringle looks like he could do better, he seemed to look ok last season but then just got himself out. More concentration required perhaps.
Hickey looked ok but last season was his initial breakthrough to the first team, so we should expect to see more.
Clark, time for him to do more, 3 matches and 3 50's.

I wonder what Cameron Steele will be like. If he's going to be the opener it's a tough call in his first season, but he will have the first half of it to bed in at least.

It's very good news.

But this is a year for some of the players to take (another) step forward and at with at least one top class opener available for the full season assuming Jennings is chosen for England then there's a good change of a good season.

I wonder who will play in the no 3 slot. Presumably the no 3 guy will be the one to step up to open when that position needs to be filled.

Burnham has done well ... time for more than 1 century in the next season, we know he's capable of it.
Richardson could and should have a better season, last time he averaged 28 with one century.
Pringle looks like he could do better, he seemed to look ok last season but then just got himself out. More concentration required perhaps.
Hickey looked ok but last season was his initial breakthrough to the first team, so we should expect to see more.
Clark, time for him to do more, 3 matches and 3 50's.

I wonder what Cameron Steele will be like. If he's going to be the opener it's a tough call in his first season, but he will have the first half of it to bed in at least.

tricky isn't it? with the big points penalty part of me thinks it might have been better to keep the powder dry and bring in top players NEXT season and use this to settle a bit and let the youngsters have all the time to go through the growing pains. but then if we end up near the top and miss out on promotion by a whisker that would be a waste of a year.

for me i'd let probably burnham take the 3rd spot with a view to opening later on in the season over steele purely as he has a little more experience at this level. although i think he's more suited to playing 4 and moving up to 3 it really depends i know nowt about steele - if he is a bat long and grind out runs he may be better suited to opening than burnham. he might not get into the side until when we lose jennings to ftecb however.

Jennings, Cook, Burnham, Hickey, Richardson, Collingwood, Pringle, Coughlin, Carse, Rushworth, Onions

looks pretty good, clark, weighell, steele, arshad, poynter etc in reserve.

really excited to see the future for DCCC

tricky isn't it? with the big points penalty part of me thinks it might have been better to keep the powder dry and bring in top players NEXT season and use this to settle a bit and let the youngsters have all the time to go through the growing pains. but then if we end up near the top and miss out on promotion by a whisker that would be a waste of a year.

Why not show ambition?

Plus, even if we were deducted 200 points, it's a very important year for developing players - which in my view is made more likely by having a couple of Test quality internationals coming in. The younger more impressionable lads will learn a lot from Cook and Latham and that stands us in good stead for the future, regardless of whether we go up or not.

Why not show ambition?

Plus, even if we were deducted 200 points, it's a very important year for developing players - which in my view is made more likely by having a couple of Test quality internationals coming in. The younger more impressionable lads will learn a lot from Cook and Latham and that stands us in good stead for the future, regardless of whether we go up or not.

i don't disagree, i said a part of me. obvious downside is one of our younger lads will not get the opportunity but still, the games will go to the best players and you can't argue with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back