Durham squad 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ they could play the below with Shazad/Robinson/Machan/Finch/Garton in reserve.

Joyce
Nash
Wells
Van Zyl
Wright
Brown
Wiese
Jordan
Philander
Briggs
Magoffin
I agree, but you missed out Archer. Saw him last season, he is their quickest bowler, and potentially their best seamer.

That fair comment as long as you thought the same when Diva, Benks, Breese and Thorp where all playing in the same side for Durham.
As far as Durham go next season draws are no good to them in the championship and with a very lightweight spin attack i would imagine the home games will be 3 day matches on seaming wickets. It will be interesting to see the wickets counties prepare when Durham visit.
With a bit of luck with the weather and injuries i still believe Durham will be in contention for promotion.

Breeze had a British passport. Thorp's parents were both British. Diva held an Italian passport.

Benkenstein I'll give you, but the point I want to make is this - it's ruining the chances of English lads when these Saffer internationals are leaving their country chasing the coin here. Those players are good enough to play as proper overseas men and while their country is f***ing them over (by way of quotas) they are f***ing over our talent.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Last edited:
Breeze had a British passport. Thorp's parents were both British. Diva held an Italian passport.

Benkenstein I'll give you, but the point I want to make is this - it's ruining the chances of English lads when these Saffer internationals are leaving their country chasing the coin here. Those players are good enough to play as proper overseas men and while their country is f***ing them over (by way of quotas) they are f***ing over our talent.

It is leaving a very bitter taste all these counties signing these Kolapks

ECB just fuckedit up.

Nonsense they came here for the money and security just like the Saffers are doing at the moment. Counties are supposed to have one overseas player.

It is leaving a very bitter taste all these counties signing these Kolapks

ECB just fuckedit up.
Again people blaming the ECB, It is the counties who are signing them not the ECB. The counties demand independence from their main benefactor then so many waste their budget on expensive short term overseas players. The reason, because most can't produce players themselves. The sooner the county system is scrapped the better for the future of cricket in this country.

Last edited:
Nonsense they came here for the money and security just like the Saffers are doing at the moment. Counties are supposed to have one overseas player.

Again people blaming the ECB, It is the counties who are signing them not the ECB. The counties demand independence from their main benefactor then so many waste their budget on expensive short term overseas players. The reason, because most can't produce players themselves. The sooner the county system is scrapped the better for the future of cricket in this country.

What on earth you on about?

Durham produce international cricketers on a regular basis, we have 3 in the squad when fit, 3 in the first XI probably, yet we were the ones that got made a fool of, while the ones that benefit are allowed to sign kolpak after kolpak

What on earth you on about?

Durham produce international cricketers on a regular basis, we have 3 in the squad when fit, 3 in the first XI probably, yet we were the ones that got made a fool of, while the ones that benefit are allowed to sign kolpak after kolpak
Iam not talking about Durham Iam talking about the county system. 18 counties are far to many should be cut to 10 regional teams which actually cover the whole of England and Wales which it currently does not By the way as I have said on here many times Durham is a regional side which covers the whole of the north east.
Durham have got themselves in trouble because of economic reasons not cricket.
This subject has been rumbling on and on even on this website for the past 10 years and discussed so many times. The simple fact is that 18 counties is to many and should be cut. I still believe if the likes of Derbyshire or Leicestershire had have been in Durham position the ECB would have let them go bust.

Iam not talking about Durham Iam talking about the county system. 18 counties are far to many should be cut to 10 regional teams which actually cover the whole of England and Wales which it currently does not By the way as I have said on here many times Durham is a regional side which covers the whole of the north east.
This subject has been rumbling on and on even on this website for the past 10 years and discussed so many times. The simple fact is that 18 counties is to many and should be cut. I still believe if the likes of Derbyshire or Leicestershire had have been in Durham position the ECB would have let them go bust.

10 regional teams? I'll tell you for an absolute fact, if FTECB decide to cut the number of first class teams from 18 to 10 - there's no way Durham survive the cull.

Well it's the EU to blame for that.

About the only positive of brexit.

I'm not blaming them for that really, more for punishing one of the few sides who wouldn't consider signing one, along with Yorkshire

Bit drastic to scrap the County system because of the influx of non-England qualified players. The problem could be solved immediately by ECB with one simple piece of legislation.I.e. Base a counties grant solely on the number of England qualified players they field. A team full of England qualified players receive 100% of their grant, a team containing only half England qualified players e.g. Hants, Sussex only receive 50% grant and likewise proportionate.

That fair comment as long as you thought the same when Diva, Benks, Breese and Thorp where all playing in the same side for Durham.
As far as Durham go next season draws are no good to them in the championship and with a very lightweight spin attack i would imagine the home games will be 3 day matches on seaming wickets. It will be interesting to see the wickets counties prepare when Durham visit.
With a bit of luck with the weather and injuries i still believe Durham will be in contention for promotion.

i think it is pretty easy to argue that all those helped durham get to a point where the next generation of crickets could flourish.

obviously we don't know but you'd think stoneman's development was aided by diva, he certainly seems to think so. i see benks and breese defintiely being a massive positive for the development of our english lads.

thorp, claydon etc maybe not so much

same old argument.

i really don't see why having less teams, thereby less opportunities for people to be professional cricketers, would lead to more cricketers being produced

Last edited:
Bit drastic to scrap the County system because of the influx of non-England qualified players. The problem could be solved immediately by ECB with one simple piece of legislation.I.e. Base a counties grant solely on the number of England qualified players they field. A team full of England qualified players receive 100% of their grant, a team containing only half England qualified players e.g. Hants, Sussex only receive 50% grant and likewise proportionate.
Yeah I quite like that idea. I also believe each should be allowed one official overseas player and it is up to them what type of player they sign, whether it be an old hand to skipper a side or a certain type of player to fill in for someone you maybe missing as they are playing for England.

The vast majority of the 18 countries have been going for neck end of 150 years or more. Dont see whats wrong with their history or tradition and why 8 clubs should be wiped out at a stroke. The current setup of 2 divisions works well and should be kept.

10 regional teams? I'll tell you for an absolute fact, if FTECB decide to cut the number of first class teams from 18 to 10 - there's no way Durham survive the cull.
The ECB will make sure of it!

The vast majority of the 18 countries have been going for neck end of 150 years or more. Dont see whats wrong with their history or tradition and why 8 clubs should be wiped out at a stroke. The current setup of 2 divisions works well and should be kept.

aye, as always decisions to be made based on not what the people want but what makes most sense financially for those who already have more than enough money.

as a paying punter i'm not happy that the matches have been cut from next year and it makes no sense in any sporting way that you don't just have every team play each other twice.

why should fans of the likes of worcestershire, northamptonshire, leicestershire etc who have been going to matches regularly since god knows when suddenly have their team disbanded because the FTECB decide they can get more money off sky by having less teams.

i can't understand the logic or the audacity of people who think scrap it all.

same will happen with football eventually, with a superleague no doubt replacing national domestic leagues, then when safc get wound up i wonder if people will make the same argument.

Reactions: Bri
I don't think you really watch Cricket do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back