Durham on miners gala day.

This comes up every year, it’s the biggest trade union event in Europe mate. It absolutely is political, whether you like it or not.
Unfortunately your right and the hard working miners and the history and heritage and celebration and remembrance of that sometimes get overtaken by the above.

Personally I think that’s a shame

Unfortunately your right and the hard working miners and the history and heritage and celebration and remembrance of that sometimes get overtaken by the above.

Personally I think that’s a shame

The hard working miners and the history and heritage and celebration and remembrance of that (in your words) is/are intrinsically linked to the unions and so therefore ‘politcs’.

If you don’t know that I suggest you go and read up on the history of the Durham Miners Association ;)

The hard working miners and the history and heritage and celebration and remembrance of that (in your words) is/are intrinsically linked to the unions and so therefore ‘politcs’.

If you don’t know that I suggest you go and read up on the history of the Durham Miners Association ;)
Of course it is nobody is denying that.

Would I am saying is more focus at a Durham miners gala.

Should be imo on the actual miners themselves, the fantastic communities there was and remember and sharing the past experiences and catching up with old friends.

There is loads of focus on politics all the time, the Durham miners gala should be remembering first and foremost the Durham miners!!.
Just maybe just maybe the ex miners might want to reminisce about the craic speak to old friends have a great time, instead of politics been rammed down their throat, just a thought!!

Last edited:
Of course it is nobody is denying that.

Would I am saying is more focus at a Durham miners gala.

Should be imo on the actual miners themselves, the fantastic communities there was and remember and sharing the past experiences and catching up with old friends.

There is loads of focus on politics all the time, the Durham miners gala should be remembering first and foremost the Durham miners!!.

It does that 🤷‍♂️ It covers all bases 🤷‍♂️

There are plenty of people who go down to Durham, march in with their banner, meet up with old friends and have a great time without seeing speeches of getting involved in politics.

Essentially, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

There is plenty going on at every Big Meeting to allow people to go and enjoy the occasion and pageantry without getting into the politics of it.

My uncle for example goes every year, he never misses, he isn’t bothered about politics and all he does is he gets down very early and stands at the front of the barriers on the corner of the County Hotel and watches as every single one of the banners goes by and he enjoys the music.

If you are, however, politically motivated then there’s enough for you there too.

It does that 🤷‍♂️ It covers all bases 🤷‍♂️

There are plenty of people who go down to Durham, march in with their banner, meet up with old friends and have a great time without seeing speeches of getting involved in politics.

Essentially, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

There is plenty going on at every Big Meeting to allow people to go and enjoy the occasion and pageantry without getting into the politics of it.

My uncle for example goes every year, he never misses, he isn’t bothered about politics and all he does is he gets down very early and stands at the front of the barriers on the corner of the County Hotel and watches as every single one of the banners goes by and he enjoys the music.

If you are, however, politically motivated then there’s enough for you there too.
Great just simply saying that should be the main focus and the mines are long gone and the heritage and communities should be always remembered.

Inevitably politics will creep in, but the main focus of the gala should be undoubtedly remembering the miners imo

It’s one day of the year to remember that so they should be the main focus.

Hopefully like you say it is for the majority and most are like your uncle.

Last edited:
In your opinion.

The Durham Miners Association who host all it every year have good reason to focus on politcs. It’s possible to achieve both aims, which in my opinion they do.
That’s fine it’s is just my opinion, that miners gala should be above all and anything else remembering the miners for one day!!

That for one day of the year just one day miners should be the massive focus of a day rather than politics that is discussed 365 days a year.

That’s fine it’s is just my opinion, that miners gala should be above all and anything else remembering the miners for one day!!

That for one day of the year just one day miners should be the massive focus of a day rather than politics that is discussed 365 days a year.
March in with banners, stop and listen to the bands at the County Hotel, have a walk round the racecourse to soak up the atmosphere, couple of pints around the town, and follow the banners up to the cathedral for the service in the afternoon, completely politics free day. Easy to do if you want to, and all about the miners.

March in with banners, stop and listen to the bands at the County Hotel, have a walk round the racecourse to soak up the atmosphere, couple of pints around the town, and follow the banners up to the cathedral for the service in the afternoon, completely politics free day. Easy to do if you want to, and all about the miners.
Good

Speaking as an ex-miner, you cannot separate Durham Big Meeting from politics, they go hand in hand. If you took away the trade union element, there is no Big Meeting. Many do not go to watch any speeches and just watch the bands and banners, many do both, all are catered for.

The Charvers from the villages tend not to go to watch the speeches mind, as according to some on here, they are too busy fighting while snorting coke and drinking Fosters all over the place.

Been planning a mates day/pubcrawl in durham for some time n it lands on miners gala.

Avoid at all costs or are plenty areas/bars uneffected?

Transport effected?

Anywhere to eat? 😉

Cheers!
Bound to be a strike on..trains, bus, Civil servants, firemen, .Well, someone has to attend for there to be loads there.

Back