Durham on miners gala day.

I will reiterate, striking is right, the timing is wrong.

Yeah, you keep repeating this line but have totally ignored my retort to it.

The timing is perfect. For a variety of reasons, but the main one being - the employers (and the government) wish to WORSEN the pay, conditions and working practices of the railwayworkers NOW. Not in a few months, not next year, NOW. So they have to act NOW.
Do you honestly think I am stupid enough to be a 50 year old lad from monkey house to think I am the only one who suffered?

If everyone else was raking it in and they were being shafted then fair enough. The fact is they are earning way more than nurses etc.
With the greatest of respect you’re stupid enough to have bought into the right wing’s ‘race to the bottom’ narrative. You’ve been taken in hook, line and sinker by it.

What everyone else is getting is completely irrelevant to the RMT and it’s members.

But for what it’s worth, the RMT have already stated they would fully support the nurses in any industrial action they wish to take.

It’s up to the nursing/NHS workers union(s) to take action. Not the RMT.
I don’t hate British workers at all, I employ 90 of them.

I just think when everyone is struggling striking isn’t the right idea.

As a business owner I am working my arse off to survive, I have employees who work live in Durham, I’ve given them shortened shifts or holidays in to cover the strikes.

Where is the consideration of small business owners etc

But aye as long as the RMT owners are okay.

Why are you aiming your anger at the RMT and it’s members?

Why are you not aiming your anger at the employers and the government? They are as culpable, if not MORE culpable than the RMT for these strikes taking place.

Everyone is struggling, that’s the f*cking point (for about the 86th time). Public sector workers have seen their pay CUT in real terms by 20% since the Tories got in. TWENTY PERCENT.

So you think they should just carry on allowing themselves to be shafted do you?

Last edited:

Yeah, you keep repeating this line but have totally ignored my retort to it.

The timing is perfect. For a variety of reasons, but the main one being - the employers (and the government) wish to WORSEN the pay, conditions and working practices of the railwayworkers NOW. Not in a few months, not next year, NOW. So they have to act NOW.

With the greatest of respect you’re stupid enough to have bought into the right wing’s ‘race to the bottom’ narrative. You’ve been taken in hook, line and sinker by it.

What everyone else is getting is completely irrelevant to the RMT and it’s members.

But for what it’s worth, the RMT have already stated they would fully support the nurses in any industrial action they wish to take.

It’s up to the nursing/NHS workers union(s) to take action. Not the RMT.

Why are you aiming your anger at the RMT and it’s members?

Why are you not aiming your anger at the employers and the government? They are as culpable, if not MORE culpable than the RMT for these strikes taking place.

Everyone is struggling, that’s the f*cking point (for about the 86th time). Public sector workers have seen their pay CUT in real terms by 20% since the Tories got in. TWENTY PERCENT.

So you think they should just carry on allowing themselves to be shafted do you?

The latest shafting, "we'll give you a 3% pay rise and a one off lump sum of £500". So next year you fall even further behind.

I don’t hate British workers at all, I employ 90 of them.

I just think when everyone is struggling striking isn’t the right idea.

As a business owner I am working my arse off to survive, I have employees who work live in Durham, I’ve given them shortened shifts or holidays in to cover the strikes.

Where is the consideration of small business owners etc

But aye as long as the RMT owners are okay.
Fuck the small business and large business. If your rights are being eroded and livelihoods threatened you do not give a fuck about the impact to other businesses, you are fighting for your life. What impact would a strike have if nobody was affected? Absolutely fuck all.

We’ll done to the RMT for standing up to these *****.

Ah so it is about money

The fact is most people have little sympathy when they are striking but on salaries higher than nurses carers and real front line workers.

The whole country is struggling due to the cost of furlough etc, they couldn’t have timed it worse.

My brother is a home cater on 19k, worked throughout the pandemic, had covid twice. Is he striking? No because he knows it’s pointless atm.
If your boss told you that you had to work 39 weekends a year instead of 26, would you just take it?

Remember a mate (power loader) picking up his mate's girlfriend by the ankles and dangling her upside down off a bridge over the river.
She screamed.
And that was only about 5 in the afternoon.
If you go, expect incidents later on.

For the amount of people that attend, there is very little trouble these days, apart from maybe a few chavs acting up from around 5pm onwards, most respectable people have left by then anyway, the chavs acting up could be Durham on any given Saturday evening. Nothing to worry about, a decent day out that I would recommend, unless you are a bit shy and squeamish about people drinking excessively, being a bit loud and having a good time.

Back