Durham on miners gala day.

It's about terms and conditions.
That is what a strong union can negotiate for it's membership who are getting screwed by shite employers.
A bit like why the miners got organised all those years ago, and got better terms and conditions - which is quite relevant to this thread.

And most people agree with the RMT disputes, not the other way around.

The miners lost, just so you know
Is 'every single person in the country struggling'? Do you know them all like?

Give over man.

Is it only RMT workers struggling, do you know everyone not in the RMT?.

Last edited:

Aye, the last big strike, but that was a different battle - Thatcher was hell bent in destroying the industry, and she eventually succeeded I'm afraid.
Many many years before, they gained better T.'& C.'s through being organised, and negotiating better deals for their members.

Aye, the last big strike, but that was a different battle - Thatcher was hell bent in destroying the industry, and she eventually succeeded I'm afraid.
Many many years before, they gained better T.'& C.'s through being organised, and negotiating better deals for their members.

Maybe my scepticism comes from that, I would never doubt what my dad did and why he did it. I remember the shit I got at school for getting my dinners “on the nash” or queues outside that shop (name escapes me) queueing for a school uniform.

I just think strikes don’t work anymore and I don’t agree with the timing when there’s a National crisis.

I will be massively surprised if Mick Lynch gets what he wants but less suprised if they end up back at work after achieving nowt.

Stock answer

Not a Tory at all, I’ve seen and lived through the miners strike.

Strikes aren’t wrong, the timing of this is very wrong.
so when is it the right time? you appear to be quite content with the conditions the workers have to be taken away.
as for stock answer, your flippant reply saying 'the miners lost, just so you know' came across as though you were gloating imo.
also, you're not the only one who lived through the strike either.

Or if he’ll explain why in a time every single person in the country is struggling, he thought striking with an average wage of 31k was the right idea. I keep hearing not everyone is on 31k, however to make that an average, some have to be on way way more.

In fairness he’s answered that question over a hundred times in the last month. The answer is fairly obvious.
Ah so it is about money

No, it’s about redundancies, terms & conditions, pay and pensions.

Seriously, you must’ve been living under a rock for the past few weeks if you haven’t had your question answered by either Lynch, the RMT or even the mainstream media in that time.

It’s been extensively covered.

If you still don’t know, go and do some research instead of whinging on about it on here because you’re wildly wide of the mark with some of your accusations and it’s a bit embarrassing seeing you struggle.

Last edited:
They're shutting the roads from 5AM. I deliver down that way and I'm still expected to get rid of important stuff. :lol: . If you're out and about and you happen to see a postie don't be too scared to thrust a can in his hand.👍.
I'll see if I can get the same deal off anyone coming down from the train station 😂

Not every time they didn’t. Which was the point.

Just about every single workers right in this country was won by union campaigning and negotiating.
I just think strikes don’t work anymore and I don’t agree with the timing when there’s a National crisis.

There’s a lot of people who believe that, but this one actually has the support of the majority of the public (polling data suggests).

The National crisis is EXACTLY the reason why the timing is right.

Last edited:
so when is it the right time? you appear to be quite content with the conditions the workers have to be taken away.
as for stock answer, your flippant reply saying 'the miners lost, just so you know' came across as though you were gloating imo.
also, you're not the only one who lived through the strike either.

My response was never meant to be flippant, it’s a fact the miners lost.

Do you honestly think I am stupid enough to be a 50 year old lad from monkey house to think I am the only one who suffered?

I just do not think this is the right time, when front line workers earn way way less than the majority of RMT workers.

If everyone else was raking it in and they were being shafted then fair enough. The fact is they are earning way more than nurses etc.

I will reiterate, striking is right, the timing is wrong.

Do you honestly think I am stupid enough to be a 50 year old lad from monkey house to think I am the only one who suffered?

I just do not think this is the right time, when front line workers earn way way less than the majority of RMT workers.

If everyone else was raking it in and they were being shafted then fair enough. The fact is they are earning way more than nurses etc.

The timing is perfect. This is a Tory government that has gave away billions in PPE contracts to their mates. Fuck them.

Just as an example.

Okay so if they scrap the redundancies and job cuts they’ll stop striking?

Will they fuck

Aye blame the media mate

“Let’s strike lads when everyone is struggling, that won’t make us look like *****”

The majority of unions are led by egotistical maniacs
Why do you hate British workers so much that you think that after 12 years of watching their wages fall behind inflation while their bosses wages keep going up, you think they should do nothing to protect their and their families livelihoods?
Stock answer

Not a Tory at all, I’ve seen and lived through the miners strike.

Strikes aren’t wrong, the timing of this is very wrong.
Straight out of this governments script

"Now is not the time"
When in the last 12 years was the time?

Last edited:
Why do you hate British workers so much that you think that after 12 years of watching their wages fall behind inflation while their bosses wages keep going up, you think they should do nothing to protect their and their families livelihoods?

Straight out of this governments script

"Now is not the time"
When in the last 12 years was the time?

I don’t hate British workers at all, I employ 90 of them.

I just think when everyone is struggling striking isn’t the right idea.

As a business owner I am working my arse off to survive, I have employees who work live in Durham, I’ve given them shortened shifts or holidays in to cover the strikes.

Where is the consideration of small business owners etc

But aye as long as the RMT owners are okay.

I don’t hate British workers at all, I employ 90 of them.

I just think when everyone is struggling striking isn’t the right idea.

As a business owner I am working my arse off to survive, I have employees who work live in Durham, I’ve given them shortened shifts or holidays in to cover the strikes.

Where is the consideration of small business owners etc

But aye as long as the RMT owners are okay.
So when nurses and teachers go on strike you'll support them? Out of curiosity, what was the last strike that you did support?

I’ve been every year since I was around 10 or so.

This year is probably the first one I’ll give a miss to.

I loved it and love what it stood for, and when I got to an adult age I enjoyed it for the day out too.

The last few years I’ve been (Covid permitting) it’s just been a shitfest. Arguments between Unite and the families of ex miners, fights between young’ns from various villages, far too expensive.

Got away from itself. Massive shame really.
2017 zero arrests
2018 one arrest
2019 two arrests

Over 100,000 people at each event

I mean this speaks for itself like.

Whatever disagreements people have amongst those attending it never gets out of hand. As big events go it’s a good one

Last edited:

Back