Durham on miners gala day.

SPUFF

Striker
Been planning a mates day/pubcrawl in durham for some time n it lands on miners gala.

Avoid at all costs or are plenty areas/bars uneffected?

Transport effected?

Anywhere to eat? 😉

Cheers!

Been planning a mates day/pubcrawl in durham for some time n it lands on miners gala.

Transport effected?

Anywhere to eat? 😉

Cheers!
To be honest I would avoid. I love the tradition, sentiment and history of it, but does get a bit messy later on, and the transport in from most directions will be pretty badly effected and pubs will be rammed. That might be just your thing like.

Not been since I was a kid. Followed the band and they'd get on the bus then we'd all follow in about 5 bus loads from dawdon. Don't really remember much else apart from fair ground and watching all the band's back down the main Street. Is it actually a thing now that the pits have all gone.

Can imagine it's just some older people there to reminisce and for others it's just a piss up. Younguns will probs be arseholes no doubts.

To be honest I would avoid. I love the tradition, sentiment and history of it, but does get a bit messy later on, and the transport in from most directions will be pretty badly effected and pubs will be rammed. That might be just your thing like.
Yeh bit of a dilema. Remember had kids near Swan n Cignets sp few year back n you could sense matters could escalate. Wasnt sure if maybe up by Angel inn etc may be uneffected?
More to it than a booxze up ya kna

@st joes lad

mick lynch ought to be there
Im a miners son hank im aware yes.

Transport effected?

Anywhere to eat? 😉

Cheers!

Definitely one to avoid. Full of knackers and awful atmosphere by the time they're all pissed. It'll be heaving as well

Last edited:
Not been since I was a kid. Followed the band and they'd get on the bus then we'd all follow in about 5 bus loads from dawdon. Don't really remember much else apart from fair ground and watching all the band's back down the main Street. Is it actually a thing now that the pits have all gone.

Can imagine it's just some older people there to reminisce and for others it's just a piss up. Younguns will probs be arseholes no doubts.
Still heaving yes. The vast majority of people there go to enjoy a drink and watch the bands and banners go past. You’re always going to attract knackers though at a free event amongst thousands of people.

Always a good day out, regardless off the annual 'slag off Durham ' thread on here. You'll get in everywhere if you behave, the pubs are desperate for money after 2 years of shit, and it's only the very centre which has any traffic regulations now ( it used to be closed off in a massive radius when I was a kid) public transport will be largely unaffected, and there's loads and loads of places to eat. Massive earner for the city traders, so please go and enjoy yourselves.

Back