Durham Miners Gala

Do you disagree with the trade union movement in general?

It's possible to go and walk in with the banners and celebrate the history and heritage without listening to any speech y'know.

Is it The Mail or The Sun that taught you to say 'terrorist sympathiser' by the way?
I don't read newspapers. I can make my own mind up about Corbyn and he's a (unt along with Abbott and McDonnell

Used to love Gala day when I was a student, worked in a bar during hols, used to impose £1 idiot tax on all sales after 2 o'clock , and divi it out at the end of the shift, manager got a bigger cut mind, but then thats capitalism for you.
This is the way to enjoy the day. Regardless of the political slant it's a big bit of Durhams heritage now and brings a lot of people to the city. Have a walk with one of the bands and a few beers, it's a decent day until the fuckwits take over later in the day when they've all had too much to drink.

How long has it been the big meeting like. I've always known it as the gala.
Like forever.

This is the way to enjoy the day. Regardless of the political slant it's a big bit of Durhams heritage now and brings a lot of people to the city. Have a walk with one of the bands and a few beers, it's a decent day until the fuckwits take over later in the day when they've all had too much to drink.

Forever.

always among the locals.

Saw them play in the surf cafe. They were brilliant

Supporting Frankie and Heartstrings ? If so I was there also. Was blown away by them and immediately got album.
Really looking forward to seeing them again. They're playing Summer Streets festival also in 2 weeks.

how long before this thread is deleted :lol:
If someone had said it about trump or may he'd have been arrested on terrorism charges

When we were Young we'd go and March with the band from the pit to the bus then follow them to durham. The only thing I remember is the big fairground nothing else. Then after we would watch all the bands and the banners marching thru Durham then go home on the bus. Never realised it's just a political gathering at all.

Serious question is there any point to it now ??? There aren't any pits and times have moved on since the union days back then.
Sounds like something a bitter Tory might say, jealous that the pits history lives on while thatcher rots away in a grave, forgotten about

Back