Durham Miners Gala

Ha aye. I just don't agree with all the political and union stuff. The banner and band in the village always good to see but thats where it ends for me. Hopefully the city makes a fortune next week
Disagree with the political stuff generally or disagree with the message of the political stuff?

Disagree with the political stuff at the miners gala. I'd say the same regardless. Just don't think politics has any place at the event but it's popular so it's obviously appealing to plenty and I hope the shop keepers make a fortune
Take your point. But surely you can appreciate the roots were in the labour and trade union movement?

Take your point. But surely you can appreciate the roots were in the labour and trade union movement?
Definitely but I think it's a bit over the top now. I know people in the village who worked down the pits and who don't vote Labour and wouldn't want to be entertained by Corbyn for example. On the whole though it's appealing to a lot of Labour supporters and that's the way it is. Best to just not bother if like me you don't vote Labour and don't like people like Corbyn

Disagree with the political stuff at the miners gala. I'd say the same regardless. Just don't think politics has any place at the event but it's popular so it's obviously appealing to plenty and I hope the shop keepers make a fortune

Do you disagree with the trade union movement in general?

It's possible to go and walk in with the banners and celebrate the history and heritage without listening to any speech y'know.

Is it The Mail or The Sun that taught you to say 'terrorist sympathiser' by the way?

Do you disagree with the trade union movement in general?

It's possible to go and walk in with the banners and celebrate the history and heritage without listening to any speech y'know.

Is it The Mail or The Sun that taught you to say 'terrorist sympathiser' by the way?

This is the way to enjoy the day. Regardless of the political slant it's a big bit of Durhams heritage now and brings a lot of people to the city. Have a walk with one of the bands and a few beers, it's a decent day until the fuckwits take over later in the day when they've all had too much to drink.

It's the Big Meeting none of this Gala nonsense. Anyone who refers to it as a gala is a wrong'un.

How long has it been the big meeting like. I've always known it as the gala.

Last edited:

Back