Durham Miners Gala

Playing at thompson park in july. Some great footage of past times

Btw Corbyn can fuck off the IRA loving twat

Last edited:
This forum seems to be rather conservative, insular and sneering in its outlook.

I find that odd for a Sunderland-focussed message board. I can only assume misplaced snobbery is inflamed hidden by anonymous usernames.

The Miners Gala is a wonderful day. Steeped in tradition and retains a message and a purpose.
I wouldn't day this board is a fair representative of the city tbh.

Go every year.

Take my mrs now and she loves it just for the bands. She twists about the speeches at the cricket ground but she's normally half cut by then :lol:

20 cans of stella and jump in the river whats not to love!!!!

If you jump in the river there will be tidal waves in Weardale and Wearmouth ;)

Go every year.

Take my mrs now and she loves it just for the bands. She twists about the speeches at the cricket ground but she's normally half cut by then :lol:

Me Gran used to take me down in the early 70,s and stand where the Swan is now to watch the bands come about. in - I used to get board as there we so many little did I understand what it was

Me Gran used to take me down in the early 70,s and stand where the Swan is now to watch the bands come about. in - I used to get board as there we so many little did I understand what it was

Love it me.

This year should be intresting when loads of gap year students turn up for Jeremy.

Pit yackers, woolybacks and brass bands.

They will think they've stumbled onto an undiscovered country :lol:

I'll be there. Be getting a day of work (hopefully) as that's my usual delivery area. Market Place,Old Elvet etc. Haway Jerry lad.

Went to my first gala before I was born, mam gave birth to me two weeks later. She still tells the story of going to the gala 8 and a half months pregnant on a roasting July day.

Love the gala. Great day, love the music, the people coming together in my city, seeing friends old and new, bit drink in the sun.

Incidentally I've been coming on these boards for over 15 years and every year there's a thread about the big meeting, and every single year the knackers feel a desperate need to out themselves. Fuck them, go, have a great day and forget all about tedious internet bellends with their heads up their own arses. I'm sure they'll have a lovely day at B&Q with the missus, or whatever it is they do.

:lol: probably further than that mate!

Used to play Tuba for one of the bands. It's f***ing hard work carrying one of the big bastards. Anyway, years ago marching back out of the racecourse ground bloke playing tuba to the left of me marched straight into a concrete bollard and fell over. Its difficult to read music, play, march in time, in line and see where you are going especially after 4 pints. Half the band just marched over the poor twat.

Used to play Tuba for one of the bands. It's f***ing hard work carrying one of the big bastards. Anyway, years ago marching back out of the racecourse ground bloke playing tuba to the left of me marched straight into a concrete bollard and fell over. Its difficult to read music, play, march in time, in line and see where you are going especially after 4 pints. Half the band just marched over the poor twat.
:lol::lol:

I still play, 33 years in a row now, great day
There is the minority who makes twats of themselves, but the band is normally out of the city by 4pm so we tend to miss the action.
Loads of daft lads been whacked round the beaks with a tuba bell when thy get a bit too close
Who did you play for?

Back