Durham MCCU v Notts

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think you might be right really, especially with there now being about 8 or 9 MCCU's. Atleast before when it was only a few of them I think the better players on the University scene were all together.

Another option would be to perhaps have one team of the best lads. Under a 'England Universities' banner. However with clubs having their own academies and youth setups, the majority of the better youngsters presumably don't bother with Universities. I think what I'm trying to say is that the whole University/First Class thing is a bit outdated.

Furthermore, I think Durham are wasting their time playing the Uni as a warmup game. I'd rather we played a proper 4 day fixture or two, against a second division side. It would be much more of a challenge and much better preparation. Leave the 2nd XI to play the Uni.

I think you might be right really, especially with there now being about 8 or 9 MCCU's. Atleast before when it was only a few of them I think the better players on the University scene were all together.

Another option would be to perhaps have one team of the best lads. Under a 'England Universities' banner. However with clubs having their own academies and youth setups, the majority of the better youngsters presumably don't bother with Universities. I think what I'm trying to say is that the whole University/First Class thing is a bit outdated.

Furthermore, I think Durham are wasting their time playing the Uni as a warmup game. I'd rather we played a proper 4 day fixture or two, against a second division side. It would be much more of a challenge and much better preparation. Leave the 2nd XI to play the Uni.
Some good points, and I mostly agree. However I would hope it's the Universities that didn't bother with the youngsters if they don't get the right academic grades for admission rather than the other way round!

Originally with just Oxford and Cambridge playing these matches it was obviously elitist, a legacy of the Gentlemen and Players era, and after the days ended when they would give the counties a good game and even I think beat the Windies one year, it's been ridiculous to give these matches effectively the same status as Test matches in terms of statistics and so on.

As for warm up matches, couldn't agree more. Don't some counties go on little jaunts to the Caribbean or South Africa these days?

Durham uni have been on the slide for the past 10 years. I notice that one or two of the other universities have been a bit more competative in recent years.
You just have to look at their players hardly any are attached to counties. I think this year only their captain had played a first class match for a county.

Durham uni have been on the slide for the past 10 years. I notice that one or two of the other universities have been a bit more competative in recent years.
You just have to look at their players hardly any are attached to counties. I think this year only their captain had played a first class match for a county.
I'm surprised Durham uni have been playing these matches for 10 years. Time flies.

To be honest they weren't up to much in them days either.

First ever match, Durham v Durham UCCE

2003 vs Notts lost by Inns and 168.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back