Durham Indian Restaurants?

I’d be amazed if anyone has not went out for scran in Durham on the basis the SMB has said that like. :lol:
I wouldn't. It's years since it's original meaning was used. People parrot it on here who have no idea what the original meaning was.

Generally never underestimate the stupidity of the SMB.

I wouldn't. It's years since it's original meaning was used. People parrot it on here who have no idea what the original meaning was.

Generally never underestimate the stupidity of the SMB.
If people are stupid enough to avoid a place because of that then I don’t think the SMB is the problem there tbf.

there's also the new one at the old Salutation pub, Haripur Wala street food restaurant. Haven't been but its had good reviews. Spice Lounge is best one in city centre.
Tried this but very poor.
Masala Dosa not available.
2 veg dishes ordered that didn't arrive.
A rice dish came that wasn't ordered.
Korma dish came that was a mucky dark brown.
Measly but expensive serving of papad with crap dips.
Starters very small and apart from the onion bhajis not really recognisable as anything in appearance or taste.
Waited 75 minutes for starters.

The main waiter was an Italian and he didn't have any idea about the dishes.

Haven't been to either of them, so can't comment.

Goa is okay. Haven't tried silk yet. Don't mind Mumbai but the owner is a right miserable get. Asked him for a recommendation for a lamb curry based on what I like. He suggested, rather shortly, a mixed seafood curry. Checked, most expensive thing on the menu.

Starters very small and apart from the onion bhajis not really recognisable as anything in appearance or taste.

Despite saying on their Facebook page that they open at twelve noon every day, I went at 1.30 yesterday and it was closed and no indication of whether they were intending to open.

Sounds like we dodged a bullet.

Taking it way too seriously you like.
He's not mate.
Our lass has wanted to go out in durham loads, but I always presumed that there were no restaraunts so we never had.
Glad that this thread has come up.
Shocked that there is actually a few Indians, let alone one. Can you get any other bait in Durham or just curry?

Durham City
1. Spice Lounge
2. Capital
3. Alishaan

Surrounding Areas
1. Mumbia's, Haswell Plough
2. Amaani, Shincliff (old Pumphouse)
3. Cinnamon Club, Trimdon
There was one in Belmont / carrville iirc next to the travs rest. Not sure if it's still there or any good?

Last edited:
He's not mate.
Our lass has wanted to go out in durham loads, but I always presumed that there were no restaraunts so we never had.
Glad that this thread has come up.
Shocked that there is actually a few Indians, let alone one. Can you get any other bait in Durham or just curry?

There was one in Belmont / carrville iirc next to the travs rest. Not sure if it's still there or any good?

Funnily enough I drove past that the other day and it now looks like it's just a pub that does normal pub grub now.

Only ever tried that Indians once, was a while ago but was ok from what I remember and fairly cheap.

apart from that, any good?

Back