Durham Big Meeting

It’s a shame what’s happened to it. Nowadays it’s labour talking shite and a load of people kicking off at the coppers. Then later the fosters drinkers, coke sniffers and disposable bbq crew get together and it turns nasty. It’s a disgrace. Pissing in folks gardens and I’ve even heard about bricks going through windows. Disgusting really.

It's usually a canny day out.
We used to be at the Market Place for 9am, then a slow walk down towards the Dun Cow for a couple of pints, then across to the Vic, before making our way to the racecourse for the speeches.
Usually ended up back at the Dun Cow, The Vic, The Angel, Elm Tree, and the Colpitts.

It’s a shame what’s happened to it. Nowadays it’s labour talking shite and a load of people kicking off at the coppers. Then later the fosters drinkers, coke sniffers and disposable bbq crew get together and it turns nasty. It’s a disgrace. Pissing in folks gardens and I’ve even heard about bricks going through windows. Disgusting really.
Another one who never goes. It really does make me wonder why they bother with this shit year in year out.

1) your making stuff up
2) people kept paying subs after retiring/leaving
3) they couldn't do arithmetic

(2) is partly correct.

People paid subs after leaving – such was the support for and strength of the Durham Miners' Association

In January 1926, 153,000 men were employed in Durham's collieries but union membership was recorded at 155,773 giving a union density of 101.8%, the highest in the UK's coalfields. (My figure of 105% was quoted in error.)

The sources for this are the 1926 Appendices to the 1925 Royal Commission on the Coal Industry and Parliamentary Papers 1928 (vol ix – 781).

They are quoted in Hester Barron's brilliant study: The 1926 Miners' Lockout – Meanings of Community in the Durham Coalfield

Near total garbage mate.

Your comments are an insult to Durham's mining community.

Last edited:
A week tomorrow.

Cant wait.

A cracking day out awaits again.
Some great childhood memories marching into Durham behind the Bowburn banner, most of the blokes were pissed before we got through Shincliffe, stopping for top ups en route.Down onto the racecourse meeting up with all your family, big picnic with your cousins, loved it happy times.
Was shocked talking with my sons and finding they've never took their kids.

Some great childhood memories marching into Durham behind the Bowburn banner, most of the blokes were pissed before we got through Shincliffe, stopping for top ups en route.Down onto the racecourse meeting up with all your family, big picnic with your cousins, loved it happy times.
Was shocked talking with my sons and finding they've never took their kids.

It is now probably the biggest celebration of trade unionism and community solidarity in the world. Both moving and inspiring. Every year, getting a copy of the official brochure is essential. For £2, there's some good reading in there.

Back