Durham 2017 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
So then what is everyone hoping for this season? Bit of a difficult one to call really. We have a squad in my view way too good for Division 2 but with the ridiculous points deduction the county championship season could well be a bit.......... pointless??? to a lot of people........... even though I believe we can go close but we must win our first game. Excited to see how well Carse and P.Coughlin do this season, both very good all round cricketers. Will we see much of Jennings, Stokes and Wood? How many wickets will Rushworth & Onions take? Will this be the last season for Collingwood?

Predictions

County Championship - 3rd (the wife is adamant we'll win it)
T20 - Group Stages
One Day Cup - 1/4 finals

Top county championship wicket taker - Rushworth
Top county championship run scorer - Jack Burnham (Just don't think we'll see enough of Jennings this season)

"we have a squad in my view way too good for Division 2"
It is all about opinions.......but you might get a shock.
Just look at the squads of Notts, Sussex and Kent !

I can't see us getting higher than 3rd. Sadly.

ps Membership card arrived this morning.

"we have a squad in my view way too good for Division 2"
It is all about opinions.......but you might get a shock.
Just look at the squads of Notts, Sussex and Kent !
Miserable sod:cry:-at least let us dream for a few weeks. Notts got relegated as did Sussex the year before and both have ageing squads. And Kent's leading wicket taker was Mitch Clayson! Whilst I quite like Mitch he's nay worldbeater.

COME ON YOU BASTARDS!!!!! Durham are back, Durham are back, HELLO HELLO!! :cool:

Hysteria aside, f***ing class the cricket season like. I think we're in a good place, we are more than capable of getting promoted despite FTECB's best efforts to fuck us over, but I'm not sure we will. Tall order, mainly due to the weather I'd say.

If I was Durham, I'd be telling Demain to produce seaming tracks, but I'm not sure it's his style.

We should really use this season as a transition year, even if we do get promoted, but what I mean is, trust in youth. It's served us well before and even though we have no choice this time, I think we should be telling the young'uns to enjoy themselves and soak up all the experience - stick with them regardless of results.

See you all on Good Friday ;)

In a way I'm really looking forward to this season although it may have something to do with being in a position to watch every day's play for the first time.:)

As for the cricket I think the 48 point deficit will be too much to overcome what with the reduction in fixtures and the obligatory dodgy weather ( pity the season couldn't have started on Saturday gone).
I'll go for 3rd.

As long as the weather is kind to Durham I think they will go close to promotion. There looks a couple of strong sides in this league but there is also 4 or 5 sides who are poor and frankly show very little interest in the county championship and are more pasing time until the t20 arrives.
Massive first match against Notts which Durham really need to win. My only concern is Durhams lack of spin options if other counties prepare turning wickets to negate our pace attack.
Most certain prediction Cook will score plenty of runs and at the end of the season will be an Englishman and all ready for the the start of 2018 possibly as captain.

I've just read that both Notts and Glamorgan have cameras at their ground to stream matches - we already knew about Notts of course but Glams is a new one ...... so that's two away matches we get to see this year.

210-5 at Tea.

Anyone know when Cook arrives btw? No Jennings today in the friendly either. Good opportunity seemingly taken by Steel, making a 50 opening the batting.

Seems like Middlesex have a strong bowling attack, with wickets for Franklin, Roly-Gregoire, Podmore and Rayner - so a decent workout for our lads.

Wood, Rushy and Onions all in our side and will bowl tomorrow.

Oh, not forgetting Carse and Coughlin. :cool:

Full team: Paul Collingwood (c), Cameron Steel, Graham Clark, Jack Burnham, Michael Richardson, Paul Coughlin, Ryan Pringle, Stuart Poynter (wk), Mark Wood, Brydon Carse, Graham Onions, Chris Rushworth

Last edited:
All out for 306. I was there for a session and a half so saw most of Burnham's inning (and all of Colly's, sadly - though I missed the wicket). Steel looked in good nick. Given Middlesex already have the Dubai game under their belts I think we did well against a strong attack

210-5 at Tea.

Anyone know when Cook arrives btw? No Jennings today in the friendly either. Good opportunity seemingly taken by Steel, making a 50 opening the batting.

Seems like Middlesex have a strong bowling attack, with wickets for Franklin, Roly-Gregoire, Podmore and Rayner - so a decent workout for our lads.

Full team: Paul Collingwood (c), Cameron Steel, Graham Clark, Jack Burnham, Michael Richardson, Paul Coughlin, Ryan Pringle, Stuart Poynter (wk), Mark Wood, Brydon Carse, Graham Onions, Chris Rushworth

I'm not sure there'll be that much play tomorrow if the forecasts right. They'll probably spend a lot of the day in the indoor nets. Shame for our bowlers as the wickets in good shape - albeit with a slope that must make the Middlesex boys feel very much at home!

Last edited:
210-5 at Tea.

:p

Middlesex 90-1 at Lunch. Colly with the wicket.

Good to see him bowling again.

90-2, Colly removing Ezkinazi with his first ball after lunch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back