Duo lingo

Started Spanish on it during first lockdown, for all the holidays we can't go on. Lost my way in summer probably because the pubs were back open.

Need to start daily on it again

I tried it once. Months of work on my Russian ahead of a trip with work (which was cancelled anyway) to be able to say "I get out of bed at 8am" and "The cat likes cookies".

Good app, and I love the format. Shame they don't do a course that focuses on useful phrases and situations

Started Spanish on it during first lockdown, for all the holidays we can't go on. Lost my way in summer probably because the pubs were back open.

Need to start daily on it again

I did Spanish evening classes about 8 years ago for something to do. The trouble is that almost everywhere you go in Spain when you try to exercise your language skills you will get a reply in English.

It's still useful for reading menus in restaurants which don't have pictures of the food and being polite to people.

I use it for German. I've got the Duolino Plus version so don't have to suffer through ads and losing lives and shit. It's canny. Me and the Mrs (no) are learning it together which I find helps as we can try having conversations with each other.
I’m learning German, although not via Duolingo. I may give that a go.
I did Spanish evening classes about 8 years ago for something to do. The trouble is that almost everywhere you go in Spain when you try to exercise your language skills you will get a reply in English.

It's still useful for reading menus in restaurants which don't have pictures of the food and being polite to people.
I’d like to read foreign newspapers and Twitter accounts. German is my preferred language to learn, mainly because I love Berlin and go there often. The standard of English in Berlin is superb, so I doubt I’d use much German over there. But it’d just be nice to have some grounding in the language and read the local press, Twitter etc.

Last edited:
Used it for a few month, attempting Japanese for something to do basically. Good site for free, I've got the bairn doing French on it, she's canny for a 5 year old tbh.

I’d like to read foreign newspapers and Twitter accounts. German is my preferred language to learn, mainly because I love Berlin and go there often. The standard of English in Berlin is superb, so I doubt I’d use much German over there. But it’d just be nice to have some grounding in the language and read the local press, Twitter etc.

Yes, Berlin is a fantastic city though in recent years it has become a much more of international city with English used everywhere. Fortunate as my German is limited to "Noch ein Bier bitte"" despite doing two years at school. German grammar just makes my head hurt.

My French is slightly better (somehow got an A in GCSE) and good enough for checking into a hotel or scanning a newspaper. If you've done French before then Spanish then is easy to get started with.

I’m giving German a crack too. Got a 306 day Duolingo streak. I’m not sure I would be able to say much to an actual German yet though. Most of it seems to be about the bear eating the mouse and other such useful stuff.

I'm fairly confident in Polish and it's similar when I'm over there. I just continue speaking in Polish until they get the hint, which thankfully they usually take as a positive and switch back. It sometimes happens though where they don't realise I know more than just yes/no/thank you and we'll have a full conversation of them speaking English and me in pigeon Polish!

"Yes, I started learning Spanish six years ago."
I used to go to Spain four or five times a year, so started to learn Spanish, some years ago.
I also used to go to a weekly Spanish class, in H/pool, and really enjoyed learning.
Youtube has some very good, free tutorials.

I used to go to Spain four or five times a year, so started to learn Spanish, some years ago.
I also used to go to a weekly Spanish class, in H/pool, and really enjoyed learning.
Youtube has some very good, free tutorials.

I did a course at Durham Uni in 15/16, beginners which I think is referred to as A1, and had every intent on continuing as I had intentions of living there one day. Of course, plenty happened since then, politically and otherwise, that's hampered my progress but I do need to be practicing with other people to progress to the next level.

I found Memrise far better, really good app. Give it a go.

That said, I can't speak a lick of any language other than English!
Memrise is good yeah.

I've been learning Spanish a while, but am at the point where until I have native speakers to speak to regularly, or spend a substantial amoumt of time living in Spain, I wonder if I'm wasting my time with regards to true fluency.

Back