Duo lingo

510 day streak in Spanish. Helps loads with reading and bits of grammar and vocabulary, also keeps it fresh in your mind as I do 5 minutes twice per day. However you'd struggle to get to conversational level

I've been doing night classes at Durham uni for 18 months and that's been the way forward

But mostly, going to Spain and going to places where they don't speak English and just getting mucked in the most effective way

@payne get on this see if it works for you

My year subscription runs out in August
It definitely works.
You have to go to Duolingo's website and fill out some details. You then login with your normal account details on the website and you're now a teacher. Next time you open the app it's done you have unlimited hearts.

Me and the bairn use it to learn Swedish, we are staying in my mates farm next by year for a month so thought we may as well try learn the lingo. We also converse with my marra a lot so he corrects us on the pronunciations/sounds etc. it’s canny imo.

Just passed a year with Spanish. Reading ability has increased a lot but still have zero confidence speaking and usually tap the "can't talk now" button.

No doubt that it's a useful tool to help learn a language but doubt that it would be enough by itself.

Last edited:
Just passed a year with Spanish. Reading ability has increased a lot but still have zero confidence speaking and usually tap the "can't talk now" button.

No doubt that it's a useful tool to help learn a language but doubt that it would be enough by itself.
A polyglot vlogger I subscribe to on YouTube said the same. She speaks Japanese, Chinese and Korean.
She said you won't learn a language thoroughly just with apps. She has spent tens of thousands of dollars. To become proficient in the languages she speaks, using one to one tuition on the internet. Duolingo is a good starting point to get a few basics though.
I'm just about conversational in Bahasa that I've been learning for over two years. I find it difficult to understand a native speaker in full flow though. I think to become fluent I'll need more than Duolingo. I'm not going to spend thousands on it though.

Last edited:

Yeah I can understand it written down and just about get by speaking providing I want a coffee and not a massive discussion on the meaning of life.

I find listening or watching TV shows from that country helps. Luckily Italian Music isn’t horrifically dreadful and the Italians make some decent film/tv shows.

Back